G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What to look for when buying a 2006 g35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What to look for when buying a 2006 g35 coupe

Hey guys. Im new to the forum and have been looking around for some info about what to check for buying a used g35 coupe.

The one im looking at is a Canadian 2006 g35 with 39,000km 6speed manual

I will be sure to ask about the oil consumption, and also maybe ask if he has ever pulled the coils and noticed oil.

Other than doing a good test drive and looking the car over what else should I be checking? I know its reccomended to not go for the 05-06 modles, but this one is a decent deal for me.

Anyway hello, and thanks for any info!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
As you said OC issue, but also listen for
1. Axle click - u can usually here it when going at lower speeds, under 15 mph. With windows down.
2. Clicking/sticking of the clutch pedal. You can here a click when releasing the clutch pedal.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
One of the first things to do is find out which dealership it was purchased from and request the service record. It will have all services done by any Infiniti dealership. Of course, if no services were done at a dealership then there won't be anything there.

I've bought a high mileage (75k miles) 06 6MT about a year ago. According to the service record it looks like the owner took it in for every TSB that came out. More often than not, no issues where found. It did have a clutch replacement at 40k miles and it had typical axle click and power window issues.

I've had no problems with it except at the last oil change they said the oil was very low. I've had the car at the track since then (very hard on a car). No problems. No oil loss.

Now, there are a million little things about this car that drive me nuts but they are mostly design issues and not failures per se. But, I still love the car and don't really want anything else.

At the track, it is a bit heavy and you can tell, but it is still loads of fun and still more power than I could handle at the track. Mine is pretty much stock except for track pads and sport rotors.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
I've had no problems with it except at the last oil change they said the oil was very low. I've had the car at the track since then (very hard on a car). No problems. No oil loss.
Did they find out why the oil was so low?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Awesome guys thanks for the tips. If i get it i'll post up pics!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure the Damn cd player works.... I bought y G and tested everything on it.... radio, ac, engine noises leather rips... Everyting was in perfect shape... 2 weeks later i tried to play a cd and the damn thing said CD Error....

Old 11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
N80
Originally Posted by aamir89
Did they find out why the oil was so low?
No, they didn't look. There have been no leaks. No oil pressure idiot lights. No Check Engine warnings. No exhaust smoke even at 100 mph at 6500 rpm.

I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is it recommended to stay away from the 05-06 models?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:08 PM
N80
Originally Posted by up2detime
Why is it recommended to stay away from the 05-06 models?
Probably because of the oil consumption issue. The thing is, if it has a good many miles on it and runs well, then it either doesn't have the problem or is a replacement engine.

If it has low miles and runs well, just keep an eye on the oil and it might even still be under warranty.

Plus, as much air play as this issue gets, it is likely very uncommon compared to the total numbers of this type of engine on the roads right now.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Just saw the car, test drove it.

I didnt like it, steering feels kinda dull, its slow, and it feels easy to miss shift, everything else however, the exterior and interior was just awesome. its a awesome looking car, but for me just didnt do it.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 PM
N80
Originally Posted by VQ35 revv
Just saw the car, test drove it.

I didnt like it, steering feels kinda dull, its slow, and it feels easy to miss shift, everything else however, the exterior and interior was just awesome. its a awesome looking car, but for me just didnt do it.
Slow compared to what? It is not meant to be a red light racer. It does not drag well. If that is what you're looking for you might consider a late model Mustang or something. This car's speed lies elsewhere.

Dull steering? You did the right thing by passing it up because it must be messed up. The steering on mine (same year and model) is exceptionally precise. More so than my 07 G35x; much more in fact.

It can be fiddly to shift at lower rpms. The clutch is heavy. Flywheel is light compared to less sporty cars. However, gearbox and clutch shine at higher speeds. Never missed a shift on the track. It is a sports car of sorts you know.

And are you sure you are looking at an 06 6MT? You liked the interior? The interior of these cars stinks. Terrible plastic. Cheap parts. Ugly.

Anyway, interesting impressions. Maybe this one is a dud. You did the right thing by passing on it.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Well ended up buying it afterall. haha. Was the best car for the price i could find, so its mine!!

Time to go read up these forums!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:36 AM
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by VQ35 revv
Well ended up buying it afterall. haha. Was the best car for the price i could find, so its mine!!

Time to go read up these forums!
Pics Pics Pics!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 AM
N80
Congrats.

Here is some advice:

1) Enjoy the car. This is a fun car to drive. Spend some time getting used to it and understanding how it works. Don't spend the next few weeks listening and looking for problems. If it is used, it is going to have some squeaks, rattles and funny smells. You'll make yourself miserable looking for problems and you'll find things that seem like problems now but won't seem like problems in a few weeks. (A ding here, a click there, etc etc).

2) It likes to rev. It seems to me that when people talk about this car being slow they most likely haven't paid attention to where the power is. Peak torque is around 4800 rpm, peak hp is around 6500 rpm. It is between that range that you will feel the power. I was quite impressed at the track with the kick in the pants you get at about 5000 rpm when accelerating hard in 4th gear. For a car this heavy its pretty cool that you feel that at 90 mph as it sails up over 100.

3) Take it to a track. This car is fine as a cruiser. It is fair (at best) as a luxury car. It is great on back roads and twisties. It is decent as a track car but that is where the fun is and that is where you find out what the car is really like.

4) If there are vibrations, steering oddities, or lots of road noise there is a 90% chance it is the tires. Mine was like a whole new car with a new set of tires. Look for feathering on the inside edges of the front tires. The outside edge and middle can look like new and the inside edge can be shot.

5) The clutch is finnicky and can take a long time to get used to especially on hills. So its not you, the clutch really is tricky. Why? Presumably to make it more sporty. And it does seem to work best at higher rpms.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I just did an oil change. haha wow dam those 22 bolts for the splash shield! took me 1.5hrs! haha.

Il get pics tomorrow! just finished all my paperwork today, did oil change, cleaned her up. its a beauty, i could not be happier... And after about 15min of driving, the clutch and tranny feel really nice. Still kinda tricky to feel into 3rd i thought however.

Thanks for the tips N80 i will follow that advice

yay g35

EDIT: also interesting note, the previous owner installed a oil catch can I assume to adress the oil consumption problem. Thoughts on this? I will also take pics.
Also for the oil, It only took 4L, the dipstick reads full, but it seems like too little?

Last edited by VQ35 revv; 11-05-2011 at 11:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a 2006 g35 coupe