G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

10 ft. lbs.?????/

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 ft. lbs.?????/

whta does it mean "tighten to 10 ft. lbs" ?????? thanks....this is in reference to my short shifter installl.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by g35sammy
whta does it mean "tighten to 10 ft. lbs" ?????? thanks....this is in reference to my short shifter installl.
sammy it means that it is not very tight. If you had a wrench 1 foot long you would only exert 10 pounds of force at the end of the 1 foot long wrench.

They are giving you the torque setting you would use if using a torque wrench to tighten the nut or bolt.
As another example your wheel nuts should be tightened or torqued to 80ft.lbs, which means 1 foot out on the wrench you are exerting 80 lbs of force to tighten or torque the nut.

Hope that explained it.
Wayne

Old 01-17-2005, 10:31 AM
I think it means you need to use a torque wrench to tighten it.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 AM
thanks Gee. so since i don't have a torque wrench, and i don't think my friends do either.....i should get it done at the dealership? -.- oh well. there goes more money out my pocket!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:44 AM
10ft lbs

G35Sammy,
A torque wrench is a good investment and addition to any tool box. You rent one at a tool place, but you would be better off spending some bucks buying one. Most parts stores and Sears carry them. For decent one , you're looking at about $75.00 bones. I would recommend a " Click type", very easy to use and you don't need to read the dial, just listen for the click. Other palces to look: Home Depot, Lowes, Internet.

Good Luck,
Phatnine11

Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Instead of paying the dealer... Invest in a decent torque wrench from Sears or your local tool shop.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
You can buy a cheapie torque wrench at Sears (non-click type) for $25

Old 01-17-2005, 10:50 AM
thanks Gee. so since i don't have a torque wrench, and i don't think my friends do either.....i should get it done at the dealership? -.- oh well. there goes more money out my pocket!
No Sammy, you can do it yourself. I have 3 different torque wrenches so I can torque at most torque values. If you do your own wheel installs etc., it is good to have a digital torque wrench for that, but it would not torque down to the value you need here accurately.
So just use a wrench but do not exert much force (try it on your bathroom scales and push on them till you are exerting 10 lbs of force, it's not much).

If you can afford it though they are a good investment, but make sure you get one that does the range you require (that's why I have 3 of them.)
Wayne

Old 01-17-2005, 11:14 AM
koool thanks everyone. it seems as though i should just invest in one even though i don't even have an ordinary wrachet set.....hahahaha~ thanks. ill go out and buy one now~~!

Old 01-17-2005, 04:34 PM
10 ft lbs is next to nothing and most trq wrenches don't measure to such a low amount accurately. For the job you are describing I would tighten it down well and when I say well I mean tight but not enough to strip/snap the bolt/nut. The feel comes intuitively after wrenching for years on many projects so if this is new for you I suggest getting one for future projects, hell I have four in my garage right now hahaha always lose one for a couple months and find them when they are not needed.

Old 01-17-2005, 05:10 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
koool thanks everyone. it seems as though i should just invest in one even though i don't even have an ordinary wrachet set.....hahahaha~ thanks. ill go out and buy one now~~!
Sounds like you need some tools bro. As GEE35X explained, a torque wrench is pretty well should be a basic addition your toolbox.
Along with the torquewrench, you'll need a corresponding set of sockets to fit the wrench and the hardware you're working on.
Go to Sears or CTC and look at their package sets of tools. They're a good deal and a lot cheaper than buying individually. Sets like that won't have a torque wrench so you'll need one of those anyway, but at least you'll have enough to do basic projects, including open end/box wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, pipewrench, cutters, rachet set(s) different socket drives, and more.

As GEE35X explained there are different sizes of torque wrenches for different size jobs. Some jobs require a measurement in 'inch lbs.' (smaller wrench)

BTW - 10 ft pounds isn't a lot more than finger tight, so be careful. Put the right sized open ended wrench on it and snug it up.

Otherwise find a friend with these tools and the know-how to show you what to do. It isn't that difficult and can be very rewarding to do your own work. Saves a pile of $$$$ too. (so you can go buy more tools....hehe)

Post q's anytime. We're always here to help if we can.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:44 PM
thank you guys~ for now for my short shifter install i guess ill just tighten until its "snug". thank you!~

Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
If you get a torque wrench, just be carefull to not over torque. I broke enough bolt that I'm now afraid to use it . Having your car towed because you can no longer drive due to broken stud is frustrating and mad expensive .

Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Exclamation Proper torquing

I just thought I would mention more here about torque wrenches. If you torque a bolt, stud, or fastener to the specified setting for that fastener it will not break or shear unless that fastener has been overstressed previously or the torque wrench is defective.

Torque wrenches also require care. These are precautions for click-type torque wrenches , which I prefer.
If you can, store them in a dry place at room temperature.
Always return a torque wrench to it's lowest setting when you are finished using it, but not go below that , this will prevent the internal springs from taking a set and cause erroneous readings. If you go to use a torque wrench and it is was stored with it's adjustment at it's higher settings then crank it back down to the lower setting (as above) and set it aside for at least 4 hours, to let the springs relax.
Always torque multiple bolted items in the proper torque sequence, and take the fastener up to the specified torque in three steps.
It is best to use a torque wrench for settings in 20 to 80% of it's range.

I only have 2 click-type torque wrenches for my home use(I used to have at least 6 different torque wrenches at work).
I have a 1/2" drive torque wrench with range from 10 to 150 ft.lbs.
I have a 3/8" drive torque wrench with range from 5 to 80 ft.lbs
These 2 will do most the jobs around home on the car and the boat.

Sorry if I rambled on, just trying to answer a few questions I have seen on here. ( Just thought I would mention one of my jobs before I retired was inspecting, repairing and calibrating torque wrenches for use at a nuclear plant)
Wayne

Last edited by GEE35FX; 01-17-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Omega Enthusiast
If you can buy all the mods you put in your signature, you could definitely afford a torque wrench...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 10 ft. lbs.?????/