G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Not every teen's an irresponsible driver though. I see way too many women and age 40+ drivers who drive like crap. At least when I screw around or drive "recklessly" I'm aware of it unlike those that are just naturally bad drivers. And don't get me starte with soccer moms in their minivans... now THAT'S too much power in the wrong hands.

As long as you practice proper driving habits and have common sense behind the wheel then you should be fine. Just don't go mashing the pedal everywhere ya go.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
And experience does matter when building your driving skills, so no you won't start off being a pro because there's a lot of stuff that you learn and experience through everyday driving that will fine tune your driving (and driving habits). However, I see many "experienced" drivers on the road driving like complete retards anyway so it doesn't really even matter.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
^^ What he said ...

Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Good Lord, you can even get your DL WITHOUT even once driving a real car now... Pathetic.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It really depends how responsible you are.

But, in general no.You always learn on your first car and will surely make mistakes.
It's always better to learn on a cheaper car. (IMO)

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started with a 300ZX as my first car. It was a cheap car to buy but expensive to maintain. Unfortunately after a few months another driver pulled out in front of me and caused me to total it.
You want a inexpensive car especially if you dont have money to spend on it to maintain or mod.
I know as a new driver your going to want to play a little and the G is too much car for a beginner. They are great cars to own though.
I had a GSR Integra, and those were pretty fun and cheap to mod.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 PM
I haven't responded to this thread in quite some time, but my car search has brought me back here because I have been looking at some G35's online.

Here are some G35s I am looking at in my area:

1. 2005, automatic, 38,000 miles. $15,500. Free Carfax report, no issues reported.

the bad: it's had 3 owners, been from Arizona and Michigan and now currently in Chicago. Seems fishy?

2. 2006, automatic. 55,000 miles. $15,900. Free Carfax report, no issues reported.

The bad: 2 previous owners, recall reported by second owner. (Recall # R1016
G35 BTS CONNECTOR ITB10-030)

3. 2007, automatic. only 36,780 miles, which seems fishy to me. Carfax record check available, but not free.

they all look clean inside and out, but I'd need to have a mechanic give me his opinion.

I'm not sure if I I mentioned this in the OP. I'll be 21 years old this summer when I plan to buy my first car. I have as much as $15,000 to spend on the vehicle per se. Then I have additional money to put under my mattress for when it rains.

I have been driving for about 4 years now, but I haven't had much variety. In fact, off the top of my head, I could probably name you ever car I've ever driven. And I could tell you that the most powerful vehicle I've ever operated is my dad's Mitsubishi Endeavor - it has about 220 horsepower from a V6.

Being honest with myself, I really am not sure what to expect out of a G35 as far as performance is concerned. I think I'd be fine driving it, though. Some people are making it sound like I am going to kill myself if this is my first car I ever own, but I truly don't know.. I like to think of myself as mature driver, and as long as I respect the power of a G35 I think I'll be fine.

I understand that this car is more, probably much more expensive to maintain as opposed to the typical Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. With that said, I can't see myself doing any modifications to it. Just keeping good care of her as she is would be my focus.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by giroux28
I haven't responded to this thread in quite some time, but my car search has brought me back here because I have been looking at some G35's online.

Here are some G35s I am looking at in my area:

1. 2005, automatic, 38,000 miles. $15,500. Free Carfax report, no issues reported.

the bad: it's had 3 owners, been from Arizona and Michigan and now currently in Chicago. Seems fishy?

2. 2006, automatic. 55,000 miles. $15,900. Free Carfax report, no issues reported.

The bad: 2 previous owners, recall reported by second owner. (Recall # R1016
G35 BTS CONNECTOR ITB10-030)

3. 2007, automatic. only 36,780 miles, which seems fishy to me. Carfax record check available, but not free.

they all look clean inside and out, but I'd need to have a mechanic give me his opinion.

I'm not sure if I I mentioned this in the OP. I'll be 21 years old this summer when I plan to buy my first car. I have as much as $15,000 to spend on the vehicle per se. Then I have additional money to put under my mattress for when it rains.

I have been driving for about 4 years now, but I haven't had much variety. In fact, off the top of my head, I could probably name you ever car I've ever driven. And I could tell you that the most powerful vehicle I've ever operated is my dad's Mitsubishi Endeavor - it has about 220 horsepower from a V6.

Being honest with myself, I really am not sure what to expect out of a G35 as far as performance is concerned. I think I'd be fine driving it, though. Some people are making it sound like I am going to kill myself if this is my first car I ever own, but I truly don't know.. I like to think of myself as mature driver, and as long as I respect the power of a G35 I think I'll be fine.

I understand that this car is more, probably much more expensive to maintain as opposed to the typical Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla. With that said, I can't see myself doing any modifications to it. Just keeping good care of her as she is would be my focus.
I think the way you worded your original post made everyone think that you are a new driver, and getting your very first car. Now that you've mentioned you're 21, I think the general consensus would be yes, go for it.

Last edited by DeBlaca; 03-18-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Go for it, have fun, and enjoy it.

I'd personally go with a 350z, an HR One.
You could find one for 15K if you really look and are patient.

Dual Air Intake, VQ35HR (New Engine, 306BHP

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by DeBlaca
I think the way you worded your original post made everyone think that you are a new driver, and getting your very first car. Now that you've mentioned you're 21, I think the general consensus would be yes, go for it.
yeah, sorry, that first post was extremely vague LOL

another important thing to say is that I live in the Chicago area, meaning snow/rain. Also I have never driven a RWD car before. I understand the principles, but don't know how different it feels. I'd definitely have to get some all season tires.

I think I am more concerned about insurance than general maintenance and driving it

Last edited by giroux28; 03-18-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Coming from a FWD to a RWD, the difference is not that scary. It just feels... better.
Don't get All Season Tires.
Get a set of summer tires, and a set of snow tires.
I have All Season Tires, they suck on snow, don't ask me why :/

Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 AM
RWD will put more of a smile on your face
But be careful when taking corners FWD cars tend to understeer as opposed to RWD have oversteer. Luckily it is manageable and fun when you get the feel for it. Ive owned both, and I love RWD!!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in PA, and honestly, I only use summer tires. I know it's probably bad, but I haven't had any issues yet. When the weather is bad, just keep VDC on, and drive carefully.

In regards to insurance and maintenance, yes it'll cost more than a "normal" car, but it's totally worth it.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Would an '07 AT with 37,000 miles (2 owners) for $13,999 raise a flag to any of you? Seems too good to be true to me.

How do you feel about owners? probably wouldn't want to have more than 1 ideally obviously ><

There's also an '05 with 67K miles, asking $15,999. one owner

And how do you guys feel about millage when it comes to these cars? I've been told 12,000 miles for every year old the car is a good rule of thumb. But at the same time, I think I'd feel less comfortable buying a car (especially a G35) with >60K miles on it despite it's proportionate age.

For example, there's a '04 with 71K miles. Not sure how to feel about that. I'm no mechanic, but I'm willing to learn as much DIY if I end up with a car like this.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
If you can be less than 10k per year you are going to be in great shape. I recently bought an 03 5AT Coupe with 53k miles on it (5300 miles/year) - that's REALLY low mileage

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?