G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Whether or not you can afford it isn't my issue to deal with. Having owned a G coupe since '05 and still have it stock when I've owned a fully modded S13 for years should speak volumes. This car is relatively expensive to modify and to me it's not even worth it unless you're going FI. The newer HR powered cars make a lot more power and I'd save up for that.

Having said all that, I'd recommend a manual trans Maxima 4th or 5th gen (95-'02) as a beater car. They're probably dirt cheap. Find one that's been driven by a grandpa lol. They get great mileage and last through nuclear explosions. They have a ton more utility, still have the kickass VQ which will kill most older Mustangs and turbo Civics with little more than a Ypipe added. 18 gallon tank gives plenty of range and nobody bothers you. I got 25mpg around town and not driving lightly. It's very hard to get into trouble in one of them. My G35's VDC malfunctioned and I almost totalled my car with a mistake that lasted less than 1 second. This is not a good car to drive in if you're off the VDC in the wet and just a tad bit sleepy!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If you've been driving for 4 years, there's no question you're more than ready to drive a car like a G35 Coupe... especially since you're taking the time to ask the question about it here. That alone makes me think that the chances are better that you're more responsible and less prone to off-whim decisions. Just make sure that you are prepared for some additional maintenance and running expenses compared to cheaper cars (tires/brakes/gas/quality lubricants, etc). I'm not sure if you ever said where you're from, but these cars suck a$$ in snow, so you'll want to save some money for winter/snow tires if you get bad weather in your area or plan for an alternative commuting mechanism for those days where you might get a big snowstorm.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I would choose another car over the G for your first car. Maintenance can be expensive and there is a lot of power for someone with little driving experience. I wouldn't recommend a sports car as anyone's first car.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 PM
I was in your situation not too long ago actually. I'm 17 and i bought (i payed half and my dad payed the other) my 06 coupe about 3 months ago. I love everything about the car, except for my insurance ($170 a month) and the premium fuel i have to put in it more often than i would like. As long as you don't drive recklessly you should be ok, and its not a very hard car to drive either. I have driven a 2001 Lincoln Navigator since i was 15 so it was a pretty big change when i got it, but it wasn't ever too much to handle. I say go for it if you can afford to keep it running and can resist the urge to drive like an idiot.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkstar1018
I was in your situation not too long ago actually. I'm 17 and i bought (i payed half and my dad payed the other) my 06 coupe about 3 months ago. I love everything about the car, except for my insurance ($170 a month)
That's all you pay for insurance @ 17 years old? Do you just have just basic coverage with no collision or comprehensive?

Back when I was 18 and had my first car, my bill for basic insurance in Massachusetts was usually around $180 a month just basic insurance with a perfectly clean driving record... and this was about 17 or 18 years ago (so factor in some inflation).

Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Darkstar1018
I was in your situation not too long ago actually. I'm 17 and i bought (i payed half and my dad payed the other) my 06 coupe about 3 months ago. I love everything about the car, except for my insurance ($170 a month) and the premium fuel i have to put in it more often than i would like. As long as you don't drive recklessly you should be ok, and its not a very hard car to drive either. I have driven a 2001 Lincoln Navigator since i was 15 so it was a pretty big change when i got it, but it wasn't ever too much to handle. I say go for it if you can afford to keep it running and can resist the urge to drive like an idiot.
170 a month sounds cheap as hell to insure a g35...especially at 17.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM
It's $170 a month because I'm under my parents policy and they have a whole lot of discounts. 10 years no accidents, 10 years no tickets, 10 years loyalty, Bundle policy, etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by VQdriver
Whether or not you can afford it isn't my issue to deal with. Having owned a G coupe since '05 and still have it stock when I've owned a fully modded S13 for years should speak volumes. This car is relatively expensive to modify and to me it's not even worth it unless you're going FI. The newer HR powered cars make a lot more power and I'd save up for that.

Having said all that, I'd recommend a manual trans Maxima 4th or 5th gen (95-'02) as a beater car. They're probably dirt cheap. Find one that's been driven by a grandpa lol. They get great mileage and last through nuclear explosions. They have a ton more utility, still have the kickass VQ which will kill most older Mustangs and turbo Civics with little more than a Ypipe added. 18 gallon tank gives plenty of range and nobody bothers you. I got 25mpg around town and not driving lightly. It's very hard to get into trouble in one of them. My G35's VDC malfunctioned and I almost totalled my car with a mistake that lasted less than 1 second. This is not a good car to drive in if you're off the VDC in the wet and just a tad bit sleepy!
GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!!!

Naw seriously. I kinda did that. 5th gen Max as my daily that was driven by an old man. turned out it is still in great condition. Both points you've made are 100% accurate. And I can relate to all points of the rest of your story as well.

The following users liked this post:
VQdriver (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by driftsucky
GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!!!

Naw seriously. I kinda did that. 5th gen Max as my daily that was driven by an old man. turned out it is still in great condition. Both points you've made are 100% accurate. And I can relate to all points of the rest of your story as well.
Lol. Yup. If you have a decent 4th or 5th gen Maxima never get rid of it! Especially for a fat boy G35 lol. I fell for it's looks. Other than that, the G never really overachieves like the older Maximas once did. Life is "easy" with those cars

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 AM
I hate looking at models without the OEM rear spoiler. They look so much worse without it IMO.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by giroux28
I hate looking at models without the OEM rear spoiler. They look so much worse without it IMO.
The Maxima's or Gs? I love that my G doesn't have the rear spoiler. I feel that it just takes away from the G's curves. The Maxima, on the other hand, needs it. But it's all personal preference.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by 350GT_
The Maxima's or Gs? I love that my G doesn't have the rear spoiler. I feel that it just takes away from the G's curves. The Maxima, on the other hand, needs it. But it's all personal preference.
The Gs.

It looks ok without it, but sooo much better with it IMO.

i don't know

on second though, i like the smoothness. maybe it's the color. red on red headlights is meh. black and red is nice.

im super tempted to make an appointment for one of these... 69.5K miles, asking $15,495

maybe this one... http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Last edited by giroux28; 03-19-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
With the bottom one you're getting the 6MT 19s so that's nice. It also has black seats which many, including myself, desire. I do admit that Gs do look a little naked sometimes without a spoiler, but it's all personal preference like Integra Type-Rs with and without their spoilers.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Received 156 Likes on 130 Posts
I don't mind the 2nd gen spoilers. I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE the 1st gens (03-05) spoilers. I literally ripped mine off...LITERALLY. Matter fact, I just took it over to paint 14 minutes ago so I can get the holes filled and trunk painted (and a couple of other minor details touched up. Ewwwww, I hate the spoiler so much. I get angry just thinking about it. I would do a duckbill sort of dealio and I would do (and may do) a Hakittadori.

The other thing about the spoiler, stock height G's look HORRIBLE without them. Absolutely horrible. It just looks like a tall blob of gooey mass. The only time I think a G can pull off a spoiler is when it's slammed. And I get stuck on ants so that's another reason my spoiler had to go. Stock height...stock stuff.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?