G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Would you consider the V35 Coupe a good beginner car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by giroux28
Not to go off topic, but do you guys have any other ideas for a first car besides the G35?

Really, I just want something decent that not everyone and their neighbor has, such as a Civic, Corolla, or whatever.

I mean, if I could find a nice, 5 year old Volkswagen Golf TDI, I'd probably pull the trigger on it. I just can't find one in my budget ($15K).

used car shopping is so disappointing. ><
How about spending half of that on something sensible that you can learn to drive with. A new driver will almost certainly bang things up a little. Learn how to do regular maintenance, drive on the freeway well, and really get a good handle on situational awareness, watching mirrors, parallel parking, etc. After a year or so you are ready to step up to something without as much likelihood of damaging it.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
^ +1 The G is a bit big (compared to more common first cars) as well so depending on what you're used to driving it may be a pain to drive/park.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
My first car was a 1952 Pontiac torpedo coup. Three speed on the column. Black. I paid $100 for it. 16 in grade 11 and it was a great car.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on the circumstances we cant tell if you will or will not crash it, but i think any driver with any car, young or old, fast or slow will gain some much needed knowledge from a race school or a skid school. Personally I just got my Gcoupe last may and my license last july and havnt had an accident or really close calls but i did do a skid school last summer and a race school a couple months ago and it was the best investment for my safety and other drivers around me. If your 21 and find yourself ready to handle a G then go for it!

Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
^ I think that's a bit extreme. It's not a Ferrari. Overall responsibility, proper driving experience, and general knowledge of how a RWD reacts in comparison to a FWD should be enough. But that's definitely a great plus!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like how a lot of people said start with something like a Civic... that's exactly what I did. Had a stock Civic as a first car. It was autotragic. First major mod was an automatic to manual conversion. Then a mini-me swap. Then a complete motor swap. Then boosted it I have the g AND the Civic now, and they're both really fun to drive.

Comparing the two, the Civic is a little easier to drive. Clutch is lighter, and it's easier matching revs when downshifting too, IMO. I think a G COULD be a good first car, if they've properly learned how to first.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:55 AM
Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by giroux28
Not to go off topic, but do you guys have any other ideas for a first car besides the G35?

Really, I just want something decent that not everyone and their neighbor has, such as a Civic, Corolla, or whatever.

I mean, if I could find a nice, 5 year old Volkswagen Golf TDI, I'd probably pull the trigger on it. I just can't find one in my budget ($15K).

used car shopping is so disappointing. ><
I would have wanted something like a manual mid-low powered rwd car with traction control, an lsd, and a good wheelbase.

Something like maybe the old lexus IS300. or an older bmw 3 series of the lower displacements. My biggest beef with the g35 is it isn't very nimble and feels terrible when over-rotating and has too much torque for learning for a beginner driver. It just has some dangerous tendencies.

I'm not a fan of the golf's, way too small of a wheelbase and pretty heavy. An impreza 2.5rs or whatever the non-wrx one would be okay, but awd is more like fwd than rwd.

Of course every driver is different. I am sure there are kids that will spin out some corolla, and I am sure there are some jr. schumachers that will perfectly be able to drive some turbo mr2.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Look for a miata as a first car. They're way cheaper, way cheaper to mod, still rwd, and loads of fun to drive. As a first car, I think you will learn a lot more from a miata than you would a G. That, and you'll appreciate the car that you upgrade to a lot more.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheezycheeto
Look for a miata as a first car. They're way cheaper, way cheaper to mod, still rwd, and loads of fun to drive. As a first car, I think you will learn a lot more from a miata than you would a G. That, and you'll appreciate the car that you upgrade to a lot more.
I wouldn't get a Miata as a first car. Those things aren't that safe in the event of an accident, plus if you roll it (which is really hard to do in a Miata), it's game over. A Miata is just generally a not very functional primary car in general for most people... not that powerful, no storage room, 2-seater, not that good on gas compared to other cars that size/power, convertible (cold in winter, problematic with regard to leaks, etc), plus it's RWD and very light which makes it a bad all-year vehicle if you plan on driving it in a cold and snowy environment.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I havent made it thru most of the posts.....but definelty with no doubt buy the G, drive fast, buy extra oil. Dont get mad when your seatbelt stops retracting.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
I wouldn't get a Miata as a first car. Those things aren't that safe in the event of an accident, plus if you roll it (which is really hard to do in a Miata), it's game over. A Miata is just generally a not very functional primary car in general for most people... not that powerful, no storage room, 2-seater, not that good on gas compared to other cars that size/power, convertible (cold in winter, problematic with regard to leaks, etc), plus it's RWD and very light which makes it a bad all-year vehicle if you plan on driving it in a cold and snowy environment.
Actually, theyre fairly safe for what they are. Also, I was assuming that the car would be modded so a rollbar would be added. I live in socal so i forgot people actually have weather. lol my bad. So if you live in an area that does more than just rain, it would probably be a bad choice. I guess I was reading the posts and was getting into the enthusiast driver mindset. It has no power which is why it makes it a good first car, and does not have storage space but like i said i was thinking from an enthusiast's point of view. Although gas isn't great on it, its still better than a camry of that age and definately better than our gs lol.