G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone have a Plastidip-ed G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a Plastidip-ed G?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here had plastidip their whole G35? Specifically white or black? If you do can you post a picture of the car here? I just want to see how good it looks.

Kirk,

Old 07-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Xet:
Blue Dream (07-14-2013), Jaygotboost (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 218 Likes on 187 Posts
Only noobs and ricers do that...

Old 07-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
This thread makes baby Jesus cry.

Everyone knows the only way to properly pull off a plastidipped car is with lambo doors.

The following users liked this post:
3rdG (07-21-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. Please dont...

BUT, it CAN be done properly and look "okay".

If you live in an area that gets a lot of crappy weather and has a retarded state that throws salt over everything like I do than its really not a bad idea to preserve your paint/wheels. I prefer to take the alternate route and just not drive the car in the winter. But some people dont have the luxury of a second vehicle.

This is the only scenario I would approve of plasti-dipping an entire car. That also implies that said plasti-dip gets removed once the roads are cleared.

Its very frowned upon. especially in the G community.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
It can look just as good as a matte paint job(which usually looks cruddy), but you will need proper tools and technique on painting, or else it will look like you did INDEED rattle can your whole car.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Theres not a whole lot to it if you use an actual spray gun and not the rattle can version. (plasti-dip obviously sells a spray gun) but you can also use any other spray gun designed for thicker paints and primers. Just do a proper prep and do light even coats. done deal. Not even much masking to do since plasti-dip just peels off. It really is a pretty neat product. Just not very appealing to cover the entire car.

It also dries to a very rubbery sticky finish and I would hate to have to clean bird sh*t and bugs off of it. Or it could be easy. I dont know. I've never plasti-dipped a car.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Its called google images bro

Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
I will chime in as I have done my G a few times in Dip. Yes it looks BEST if you use the sprayable gallons over Rattle cans. With the cans you get texture and striping. Lots of people dont like dip, because what they have seen is half assed jobs. Im dipping my car coco brown with a satin ghost gold pearl sometime next week. If you want it to look best you MUST MUST MUST use the gallons. Peopel will probably "**** out my soul" but its okay. In all reality I dip my car, because I have not gotten attached to a color quite yet. Once I do I will paint it. I have plenty of experience with it. But just so you know there is an entire forum for plasti dip called dipyourcar.com.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
NO

... But ...

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a Plastidip-ed G?-image.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 211 Likes on 179 Posts
Only his wheels and grille are done.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Hell while were on the topic, how does it really "save" your rims for winter because I assume that's what this guy was doing the color change for. And yeah there is a rebadged g here on the forums that got the flat black full plasti job and he lived where it snowed, only to see it tear open by spring. It's an interesting way to test a color, to add what guitar said. I use it on my plastic models I build.

It's your car though OP.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Hell while were on the topic, how does it really "save" your rims for winter because I assume that's what this guy was doing the color change for. And yeah there is a rebadged g here on the forums that got the flat black full plasti job and he lived where it snowed, only to see it tear open by spring. It's an interesting way to test a color, to add what guitar said. I use it on my plastic models I build.

It's your car though OP.
Yea its not bulletproof. Its just a spray-able rubber later. Its incredibly easy to tear/peel off if you want to. But unlike paint, if it tears or chips you can just spray back over that area. no harm no foul. It wont look "perfect" but if you're just using it as a protective layer than who really cares.

It helps preserve in the winter time because if you live in a state like mine (minnesota) than people are clueless as to how to drive when the snow flies. To combat that, the state opts to pour a salt/chemical mix over all of the roads to prevent icing and lower the overall freezing point of the roadways. works pretty well. better than the sand that other states use. but its not car friendly. It creates and furthers rust and has nasty effects on wheels as well. especially aluminum wheels from what I have seen. By plasti-dipping your wheels etc, you are providing a protective layer against said sh!tty chemicals.

Again, like I said earlier, this can also be accomplished by not driving the car during the winter. But a lot of people dont have that option.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Just drive a different car during the winter. Use the money you would waste on plastidip to buy a beater of craigslist.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.