G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How Loud are Your Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Loud are Your Tires?

I have the stock Pilots on mine and at 20mph or below (with the radio turned off of course) it sounds like I'm running on steel rims instead of rubber- sort of a deep rumbling/thumping rhythm that goes away somewhat once I speed up to 30-40mph. I asked my service dept. about it and they said it was "normal" road noise for these tires. Jeez... I drove a beat up Jeep for years that made less road noise than this expensive Infiniti!! The tires are noisy, the brakes (non-Brembros) are noisy-I think Infiniti could have done a better job of insulating the vehicle. I keep thinking something is broken! Is this amount of tire/road noise normal when driving this slow, or do you think I need to take it to another service dept. for a second opinion?

Old 02-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by DaBear
I have the stock Pilots on mine and at 20mph or below (with the radio turned off of course) it sounds like I'm running on steel rims instead of rubber- sort of a deep rumbling/thumping rhythm that goes away somewhat once I speed up to 30-40mph. I asked my service dept. about it and they said it was "normal" road noise for these tires. Jeez... I drove a beat up Jeep for years that made less road noise than this expensive Infiniti!! The tires are noisy, the brakes (non-Brembros) are noisy-I think Infiniti could have done a better job of insulating the vehicle. I keep thinking something is broken! Is this amount of tire/road noise normal when driving this slow, or do you think I need to take it to another service dept. for a second opinion?
It's not so much an issue of insulaton, but the tires themselves! Stock Pilots are loud just as you mentioned, especially when you are over 10K miles on them! Quiet tires that perform and offer good mileage wear seem to be very elusive! I did A LOT of research before purchasing my current set (Toyo T1S), they are starting to make a bit of noise as well, but not nearly as bad as the Pilot Sports!

Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I think a lot of that has to do with how the tires wear. I have a suggestion, strip down your interior and put down some additional sound deadening.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
nope ran into that problem. about 3000 or so ago. the inside of the tire wears really bad the tech told me that 1. low air preasureor 2. the way the road is arched or crowned in va makes alot of tires do that that why you rotate hem. but you cant do that on the coupe so tie tires wear on teh inside. makes noise. but mine was just because i had low air preasure in one tire they fixed it and no sound has goneaway. so you might want to check on those2 things.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Meatshake Enterprise
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, the stock pilot's aren't quite the "invisible" tire.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:51 PM
The Jeep was probably noisy from other things besides the tires, but as others have pointed out, wide, soft, high performance tires with large tread blocks are going to be noisy by nature. That's just the way they are. Narrower, harder compound tires won't be as loud, but again that varies greatly by tire manufacturer as well. As for noisy brakes - do you mean they squeal at stop, or they're noisy during driving? If it's just squeal, then a good bedding run should quiet that down. If it's during driving, then you have something broken.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your tires too. If your inter threads are worn than the outer, have the
alignment changed so that you have less toe-in. The thumping is probably from
low tire pressure and sitting on cold concrete too long...there's probably a premanent
flat spot on your inter tread.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I had Michelin MXV4s on my old car, they were supposed to be luxury tires ie good ride and quiet. When I replaced the tires with Bridgestone potenzas the ride was just as good and the Bridgestone's were quieter imo. I noticed M3's come with the same Pilots except in a different size.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
My rear tires are super quiet... always have been even before I replaced my old ones. The front are a different story. I have Pilots

Old 02-10-2005, 08:46 PM
I only have ~1000 miles on my Potenzas, but so far they are a 'quiet' tire

Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the stock Pilots also and they're not the quietest on the planet for sure. I like them and don't find the noise untrusive at all now.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could have a systematic pattern of lumps on the inside half of your tires. Run your hand along the inside and feel for uneveness. Or it may just need a balance.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:48 AM
I get a terrible drowning noise at around 60mph...If I drive about 60 its nearly gone...And if I go below 60 its alot less noticeable...But 60 mph is horrible, anybody have the same type problem? Is there a TSB for it? Its so annoying because its the perfect cruising speed...Any thoughts?

Old 02-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, go to tirerack.com and read the reviews on ultra-high and max performance tires. You'll find all have a poor noise rating compared to most other types of tires. Tire manufacturers have a hard time controlling noise through the entire span of a tire's life. They can build some level of noise cancellation into a new tire, but as they wear, it stops working. Large tread blocks found on performance tires tend to be noisy. It is just a necessary evil for great performance.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:08 AM
make sure ur PSI is at the recommended level, it can make a significant difference

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Loud are Your Tires?