G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Front rattle, stops when I apply brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Front rattle, stops when I apply brakes

Hey guys, need some help.
When I go over bumps, even small pot holes there is a lot of rattle coming from what looks like the brakes. When I apply the brakes it stops and everything is quite. I went to a mechanic and they checked all suspension twice and said it is the caliper bushings. So they sent them to some other shop to rebuild. Then they put everything back but the noise is still there... They also thought that it could be the pads but they readjusted the shims and silicone/glued the pads to the caliper to see if that was it. I still have the noise and not sure what it is, they don't either...

Any thoughts?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Sounds like the brake hardware is installed incorrectly. Common problem with Nissan brakes. There is a little tag sticking out from the brake hardware and it needs to be through the little loop that's attached to the brake pad. Here is a pic off my car. When the little tab isn't through that small hoop the pads can rattle around and make an annoying noise. Check there first. Should be able to look through the wheel and see it.
Front rattle, stops when I apply brakes-togcj9v.jpg

Last edited by Shawno72; 04-03-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old 04-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Syl_Man
Sounds like you have bad LCA(lower control arms) or maybe upper???? Have those checked out and see if the bushings are worn. Might have to take it out and see, as they are hard to check when they are installed.
That's what I thought at first. But my passenger side was replaced not too long ago. And why would it stop when I press the brakes?

Old 04-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by Shawno72
Sounds like the brake hardware is installed incorrectly. Common problem with Nissan brakes. There is a little tag sticking out from the brake hardware and it needs to be through the little loop that's attached to the brake pad. Here is a pic off my car. When the little tab isn't through that small hoop the pads can rattle around and make an annoying noise. Check there first. Should be able to look through the wheel and see it.
You are right, the are not inside the loop, they were sticking out. I put them there quickly but I think I bent them a little so there is no pressure now. And the noise is still there...
Should they be really tight? Maybe I should take the pads out and do it properly.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Shawno72
The other thing is that this started recently, but I changed my brakes about a year ago and nobody touched the pads since then...

Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same exact problem before...did the same route as you fixed everything but the problem at hand...check your lower ball joint. Mine was cracked and would rattle and clunk a little especially on bump or going slow in general. Check this next before you spend extra money on other things..I had taken it to two different mechanics and they didn't see it all until I did the work myself and found it! If not fixed it will keep getting louder and worse

Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by P.F.
The other thing is that this started recently, but I changed my brakes about a year ago and nobody touched the pads since then...
Ok. Are you sure he rattle is coming from the front? I had a slight rattle that would go away when the brakes were applied. What I found in my case was the parking brake was out of adjustment (loose). So what I did was look under the drivers side dash where the parking brake lever is and tighten the nut to the cable that runs to the back of the car. I tightened it a little bit at a time then test drove it until the rattle went away. You just don't want to tighten to much as to make your parking brake partially applied all the time. As a result my parking brake works much better as well

The following users liked this post:
BAAG35 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by P.F.
You are right, the are not inside the loop, they were sticking out. I put them there quickly but I think I bent them a little so there is no pressure now. And the noise is still there...
Should they be really tight? Maybe I should take the pads out and do it properly.
Yes that clip should be tight inside the hoop. Maybe what is happened is the pads of worn down and now there rattling because they are not tight against the caliper. the idea behind the clip is the hold the pads tight against the caliber so they don't sit around and there flop around

Old 05-21-2014, 05:15 PM
I took it to two different mechanics, one said that the most obvious was control arm bushing. He replaced both sides but original noise is still there. Although made some difference overall.
He said the next usual thing on these cars is compression arm or strut/strut mount.
Did anybody else have issues with these?
He charges too much for labor and I can't just go and replace every part until I eliminate the problem...