G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tire Replacing Now Spacing is off.Rubbing Bad....Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Tire Replacing Now Spacing is off.Rubbing Bad....Thoughts?

I had my tires replaced with the same size tire the other day and now i noticed my front tires are super close to rubbing on the fenders but the passenger side is closer to the fender than the driver side. At first i thought maybe they put a rear rim in the front but they are correct. The tire size is also correct. 225/35 front and 255/35 rear. I do have front spacers installed but they have been installed for a while and never been an issue. Same brand/model tires as well. So im kind of baffled besides the obvious of having more tread as to why the passenger side rim is closer to the fender>away from the car then from before the tire swap. The front tires were actually pretty good tread still but I replaced them all at once as the rears were trashed. I kept the original front tires as spares since the tread was still good.

I will remove the front spacers when I get home later but I literally can hardly make a right turn at all without rubbing its that close to the fender. I dont recall hearing any scraping or having any issues driving the car home the other day either. I thought maybe a shock is blown so its a tad lower on the passenger side but that would not explain why the wheel is physically pushed out further than before.

Anyone have any thoughts? Im going to jack it up if I make it home safely and remove the spacers and look around but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to how this may have happened. I can literally feel with my finger that the passenger side tire is much closer to the fender than the driver side. With the wheel turned to the right I cannot fit my finger in between the gap on the passenger side & i know for fact this was not the case before the tires were swapped the other day.

Last edited by digital sol; 04-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
double check the lugs maybe? Could they not be tightened down as far thus creating less gap...?

Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
double check the lugs maybe? Could they not be tightened down as far thus creating less gap...?
Yea i double checked those on my lunch break. The spacer also looks like its fully against the rotor and I don't know why a shop would remove that to replace a tire so it shouldn't have been messed with either.

Maybe a control arm is tweaked or perhaps its just really out of alignment? I am going to have to remove the spacers to avoid fender damage for sure. I just hope when I do that I don't rub on the inner fender lining with the rim/tire then being closer to the inside of the car. Ultimately it looks like ill be trying to drop my car off soon for both rear & front fender rolling followed by an alignment.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited by digital sol; 04-10-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:21 PM
drop the spacer size by 5mm? You could still keep the look similar

Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
nope, new tires=more meat. some tread patterns are different and beefier too.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mounted a front tire on a rear rim maybe??? Or doubled up the spacers on one side?? How does the rears look?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are they the same brand? Sounds stupid but tires are kind of like shoes, not all sizes are the same. Nike you might be a 9 another brand you might be a 8.5

Originally Posted by digital sol
I had my tires replaced with the same size tire the other day and now i noticed my front tires are super close to rubbing on the fenders but the passenger side is closer to the fender than the driver side. At first i thought maybe they put a rear rim in the front but they are correct. The tire size is also correct. 225/35 front and 255/35 rear. I do have front spacers installed but they have been installed for a while and never been an issue. Same brand/model tires as well. So im kind of baffled besides the obvious of having more tread as to why the passenger side rim is closer to the fender>away from the car then from before the tire swap. The front tires were actually pretty good tread still but I replaced them all at once as the rears were trashed. I kept the original front tires as spares since the tread was still good.

I will remove the front spacers when I get home later but I literally can hardly make a right turn at all without rubbing its that close to the fender. I dont recall hearing any scraping or having any issues driving the car home the other day either. I thought maybe a shock is blown so its a tad lower on the passenger side but that would not explain why the wheel is physically pushed out further than before.

Anyone have any thoughts? Im going to jack it up if I make it home safely and remove the spacers and look around but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to how this may have happened. I can literally feel with my finger that the passenger side tire is much closer to the fender than the driver side. With the wheel turned to the right I cannot fit my finger in between the gap on the passenger side & i know for fact this was not the case before the tires were swapped the other day.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM
if you read the whole post he states, "Same brand/model tires as well".

Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM
So long story short I guess its just the fact there is a "TAD" more meat on the front tires than before. They are the same size, brand and everything and the fronts were in good condition but my rears were toast. I replaced all 4 and kept the old 2 fronts just in case I have an issue. I suppose I was barely squeaking by with rubbing issues last summer & just never noticed but I will definitely need to get the fronts rolled to compensate with fresh tread on there. That or remove the front spacers but for now I just drive much slower on turns until I get a appointment for the fender rolling.

I will mention the passenger side is closer than the driver side but this could be a number of things. Spring, worn bushing, alignment etc. I didnt see anything out of the norm but springs are not guaranteed a 100% even drop. On my last coil over setup one side always had to be a few turns higher than the other to actually be even.

I am gonna try and get the fenders rolled within the next week, then I need a rear camber kit and alignment and ill be good for summer. Thanks fellas, appreciate the assistance.