G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about insurance??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Question about insurance??

Hello fellas, I was wondering if some of you could give me an opinion about how my insurance policy could get affected by filing a claim.
It so happens that someone struck my G35 coupe on the back while my car was parked outside my work place (No info was left, therefore I am left holding the bag!!), cracking the left side tail light and damaging the bumper cover.
The estimate came in at $900 for repairs.
I believe that if I file a claim, it should be covered by my comprehensive coverage which has a lower deductible than my collision coverage. Also, because it was not my fault (car was parked), I believe there should not be any repercaussion against me regarding my premiums, correct??

Old 02-16-2005, 01:35 PM
did you file a police report?

The exact same thing happened to my A4 while I was in the office. I filed a police report for a hit and run and the insurance agency required that and then I was covered. Still had to pay my deduct. but that is to be expected I think.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, I can't speak for claims that occur in TN. But in CA, a not at fault ax (50% or less fault) would not be counted against you.

As far as using Comprehensive coverage, it is not based on opinion, but the facts of the loss itself. The policy language defines what type of losses fall within each coverage. Usually your comprehensive coverage is defined as damage from other than collision losses. If another vehicle hit your vehicle, it should be considered a collision loss.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM
JPJ
Ditto what CKwik said. I had a similar experience (here in AL in 2001). My car was hit and run in the parking lot of my apartment (found the damage the next day - no note, just a bunch of damage and white paint all over my car). Much to my chagrin it was considered collision by my insurance company (State Farm). A few months earlier I hit a 'gator' (tractor trailer retread cap) at a high rate of speed (80 mph) and it did about $4k damage to my Z28 - that claim was comprehensive. I really don't get how that works, but that's what happened.

Oh, BTW, my premiums did not go up after those 2 incidents, however, I didn't get the State Farm rebate checks for a couple of years afterwards, but I didn't lose my 'safe driver' discount, either.

Last edited by JPJ; 02-16-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Pretty straight forward
Anything involving the contact of another car = collision
Anything not involving the contact of another car = comp

My current collision deductible is 1000, I really need to bring it down to 500 but I think the change to 500 would cost something obscene like 400 extra every 6 months

Old 02-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Most policies define collision as an impact with a vehicle or object. But it goes on to define what kind of losses are not considered collision. They word it sort of wierd, but comprehensive coverage is essentialy a named peril coverage where collision is not.

JPJ - not sure why your collision with a tractor was considered a comprehensive. Either your policy has some strange verbage or the person who was handling it made a mistake...

Old 02-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Just curious, what are people paying for their insurance (annual)? And with what deductible....? I'm paying about $1,300... with no points on my record.

Old 02-17-2005, 02:43 PM
In complete agreement with CK. The only thing I'll add is this: Most companies are likely to consider this part of your claims experience. At renewal, you are likely to see an increase. If they have a no-fault clause that is supposed ignore such claims on your claims history, it would not be abnormal to see your a rate increase at renewal... ...based on other things, such as market fluctuations, etc. You get my point.

If not, then I'll be clear. Don't file a claim if you deductible is $500 or more. At a $250 deductible, you might consider it. In that case, they will get their $650 back on the claim come renewal time.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:20 PM
JPJ
CKwik - I hit a piece of the tire tread off of the rig (debris in the road), not the rig itself, but, I too, don't know why it wasn't collision, since I hit something with the car, but, I didn't argue. I called the cops and got a full report and the cop saw remnants of the retread cap, but that was about it. That was my first insurance claim in over 10 years.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
While each claim is different and the policy should be interpreted to each claim individually, a good rule of thumb is if the object is stationary on the ground it usually causes damage only as high as the bumper itself(can depend on the object itself), which is likley a collision. If it causes damage above the bumper, then it is more likely to have been a "flying object" and would likley be a comprehensive claim.

As far as rate increases, I speculate it can vary from state to state. My understanding in CA is that a rate can only increase if the risk increases. Certain claims fall into a category of no risk or non-chargable losses which means they can't be used against you. An insurer can choose not to write your policy when the policy period is up though if they feel they are just going to lose money on you.

Old 02-17-2005, 08:53 PM
I am getting owned the most Im sure. My premium is 1800 even though I have the least PIP (personal/medical whatever covers people) possible and my deductibles set to 1000 (car is covered for everything but 1000 deductible).

This is what I get for starting off driving in the US with this car and no previous ensurance record. I just started driving in the US, just started with ensurance.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As Ckwik said above about comprehensive. Comprehensive can cover damage caused
by another car IF you were not in the car or you were in the car, but not driving it.

mine is about $640/yr. Statefarm.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Driving the car or not should have nothing to do with it. The cause of the loss is the important factor. If someone crashes into a parked vehicle, it is still a collision loss. In fact someone "driving" a shopping cart that runs into it is a collision loss. If a shopping cart hits the vehicle because the wind pushes it, or someone intentionally hits your car with it(vandalism), it is considered a comprehensive loss.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had several of my cars repaired under comprehensive that were obviously
damaged by another car hitting it while my car was parked. It was not a
collision coverage but was repaired each time under comprehensive coverage.

bottom line, check with your agent and he/she'll give you the best
options.

Last edited by kenchan; 02-17-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:34 AM
OTC is usually defined in certain states under your personal auto policy. Things like missiles, animals, falling objects etc. I would definitely file a police report for the damage prior to going to your insurance company to seek reimbursement. Try to make a claim under your UMPD - Uninsured Motorist Coverage. This coverage usually has it's own deductible, here in TX it's $250.00. Since its a hit and run and the driver can not be identified, this would be considered a UM claim in most states. Read your policy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about insurance??