G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

99 miles too many for on lot car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 miles too many for on lot car?

I found the car I want. It has 99 miles on it though, that's not too many is it? Is there room to ask for free/dicounted window tint because of it?

It has the premium and areo package options (MSRP of 36,590) and I'm getting it for 34,790, which according to TMV in my area is a good deal.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivory05G
I found the car I want. It has 99 miles on it though, that's not too many is it? Is there room to ask for free/dicounted window tint because of it?

It has the premium and areo package options (MSRP of 36,590) and I'm getting it for 34,790, which according to TMV in my area is a good deal.
Sounds like a nice car, only thing with demo cars is they might have been driven like this or worse for most of those miles.
Dont worry Man. Actually on the Test Drive the Sales Guy(awsome Guy By the way) Let me take out a coupe as well to see the differences. Well On one road which shall remain nameless we come to a stop sign and theres no cars in sight and He tells me to turn of the VDC,pop it in 1st rev it to 5kRPm and Drop the Clutch. My God I smoked the hell oua those Rear tires, almost through 3rd gear. Layed about 30 feet of rubber. He said I normally dont let people do this on a test drive but he wanted to show me the Power of the VQ Motor. I was Impressed and would have got the coupe if i didnt need 4 doors.
I feel sorry for the poor schmuck who buys that coupe.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 AM
so basically I have room to complain about the miles to negotiate on price and or freebies?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Have you guys seen the theory about break in that doesnt involve being so gentle?

Old 04-05-2005, 10:19 AM

Don't worry too much about it. The engine is designed to take more abuse than is generally expected. Besides you'll be warranteed for at least 4 years, more if you op for the extended warranty. Plus you're getting a pretty decent deal.

You have to expect that there are going to miles on any car sitting on the lot. You wont get much if any leverage because of it though. Look at it this way, when you test drove the car, did the dealer encourage you to open it up... if not then i wouldnt worry too much.

The question only you can answer is do you want to wait 3 months for an order to arrive with less than 10 miles on it or do you want to get the car now and have it all summer starting with 99 miles.

If you trust the dealer, the car looks good (inspect it from EVERY angle) and it is the exact car you want (options and everything) my advice would be to get it now and enjoy it. if it doesnt have everything you want, do no settle for it. Find the one you want or order one and wait.

Also, a dealer may not be as willing to negotiate on price if you order the car. Just something to think about.

Check into a clear bra for it though... so glad I got one.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Is the clear bra a dealer option?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Have you guys seen the theory about break in that doesnt involve being so gentle?

1. Not all engines are the same, I dont buy that theory for the VQ.
2. Even if that were true, you still have the tranny and wheel bearings to break in. I've never heard anyone say those didnt need break in.

*however*

We know that many G's have been beat on the lot by salesmen over the last few years and there appears to be no pattern of problems resulting from it.

Plus, lets face it, alot of dealers are not in areas were you can burn the tires off. I'm sure that 95% of all test drives are actually quite tame and civil.

They dont generally let any kid walk in a drive a coupe, Infiniti dealerships are kinda notorious for not recognizing the young buyer.

and lastly, if you only plan to own it for 4-5 years, you'll have powertrain warranty the entire time. You'd likely never see any issues in that time span. You really wont care if your VQ makes it to 100K or 200K. Not to say it wouldnt last to 200K regardless.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
I bought an SUV once that had about 147 miles on it. The dealer was already giving me a really low price so there wasn't much I could do. But that was an SUV which I doubt was taken off road (because it would be almost impossible to take that kind of dirt off, but who knows?). Never had a problem with it... traded it at 35K miles.

I would think that 99 miles would be fine for anything but a performance car. Honestly, chances are that you may never see any life that was taken off the engine or tires, but you have to look at what people expect to do with a performance car and that they aren't just gonna baby it on a test drive.

My G35c had 7 miles on the ODO when I test drove it. It was cherry and I was the first to drive her. The salesman actually took me to a vacant parking lot and had me do a G-test going around in circles as fast as I could to demonstrate the VDC kicking in. I would've never done this on my own. He also told me to take it up to about 50 then slam the brakes to demonstrate how little the brake dive was on the car.

When I was done, I think the car had about 10 miles on it. Now I bought that car so I have no worries, but imagine if 20 guys test drove that same car and did all those things to it 20 times! I know I wouldn't have wanted it.

Just my $0.02.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:53 PM
I NEVER rag on a car I test drive. Even if the salesmen has suggested it to me. Knowing what most of us know, why would you do that to a car you weren't going to buy?

My salesman did not say anything about pushing it while I was driving it, but it doesnt mean the car wasn't abused. I'm going to take my warranty and enjoy my car! Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure it will last me 4 years.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Is the clear bra a dealer option?

depends on the dealer... dealers don't do it themselves, but many have agreements with local shops to get it done.

might be cheaper for you to get it done yourself without dealer involvement, but always worth a look.

Old 04-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Dont do it!

Old 04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
I think that car would be fine but change the oil immediately. You can always ask, any angle you come up with might help. You might actually ask for a free oil change since it has so many possibly hard miles. The coupes are in demand so it depends on how bad they want to sell the car. I think that price is already really good. I happen to believe in the not so gentle breakin theory. I've used it succesfully when racing my 240Z. However it requires properly warming up the car first, how often does that happen on a test drive? I have had salesman redline the car on the way from the parking space to pick me up at the front door. That was a 2004 Coupe at Grubbs in Dallas. BTW - I also read on another forum that many of the new cars, Corvette being one, dry fires the engine for initial breakin. FYI

Last edited by ZGUY52; 04-05-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:12 PM
insurance companies have really been cracking down on dealers (their insurance). I know some salesmen will egg you on, but for the most part, in the last few years, I've seen much less of it.