G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Wife's G after her accident

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msd3075
THe other day in my Machine Elements class (I'm a mech. engineering major at the University of Texas), our professor was telling us about how even a slight impact can permanently deform all the fasteners within every subsystems within the car, forever altering their strength and functionality. Every screw, every bolt, every weld, all have been permanently weakened and subsequently alter the car. He's personally used this explanation multiple times to total cars that otherwise the insurance company would have tried to fix. It's just a thought.
No more than the movements the cars make on the road due to bumps in the road and such. And to say every fastener and weld would not necessarily be true. You could say this of fasteners and such that are subjected to tensile forces, but not necessarily of compressive forces. And then you have to consider to what amount of reason. I mean, functionality? If the bolt can still be screwed and unscrewed, and hold the part, then where did it lose any functionality? By his reasoning, I should not have been able to work on any part of my last car as it had been involved in 3 accidents. And they should have fallen apart as I drove. If I were the adjuster on that claim, he'd have to prove it in court. I'd take my chances and put it in front of a jury.

I know you are just regurgitating what he said, but it's just an unreasonable argument to make.

Old 04-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold a car that had a replaced bumper and hood to Carmax and they mentioned the damage and high mileage when I questioned their price...sounds like dimunitive value to me.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 PM
It's so good to here that your wife is ok!
You really have little say if the car is totaled or not, but you do have a choice in who repairs it if it comes to that. There is an awesome body shop in Houston; passed from father to son; in business many many years and I have seen them painstakingly bring cars back from the dead; they can be repaired correctly if the talent and willingness is there, even if the unibody must be straightened and cut into.

Hopefully the car will be totaled and you will not have to deal with repairing it.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 PM
If you have State Farm Insurance. They will total your car.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
I work for an airbag supplier and have seen my share of crash tests and videos. From what I can see your wife is alive because of the side airbags and curtains. Without them this level of side impact is not surviveable.

As regards totalling the vehicle, I am no structural expert however looking at how far the console/ seat moved relative to each other I think you can safely go window shopping.

Count your blessings.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:47 PM
First off glad your wife is not seriously hurt. I am a former insurance adjuster and you can go after your insurance company if the other person was also insured by them. Not telling you to commit fraud but if your wife is feeling any back or neck pain I would inform your adjuster of such and let them know your going to be taking her to a chiropractor for treatment. Most of the time they will agree upon a certain settlement amount for bodily injury dependent upon the severity of the accident. Normally they will pay out $500-$1000 with no questions asked. Above that amount they will want the chiropractors treatment schedule and price. After it is all done which they will look at very closely as there is a lot of fraud going on with chiropractors and attorneys.

Old 04-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CKwik
No more than the movements the cars make on the road due to bumps in the road and such. And to say every fastener and weld would not necessarily be true. You could say this of fasteners and such that are subjected to tensile forces, but not necessarily of compressive forces. And then you have to consider to what amount of reason. I mean, functionality? If the bolt can still be screwed and unscrewed, and hold the part, then where did it lose any functionality? By his reasoning, I should not have been able to work on any part of my last car as it had been involved in 3 accidents. And they should have fallen apart as I drove. If I were the adjuster on that claim, he'd have to prove it in court. I'd take my chances and put it in front of a jury.

I know you are just regurgitating what he said, but it's just an unreasonable argument to make.
Certainly claiming every fastener, bolt, etc. is unreasonable, but I don't think you can claim there's no distinct difference between the g-forces applied by an accident, even at low speeds, and the forces the road exhibits on the car. Now, obviously, the engineers chose carefully and built in a factor of safety to the bolts, fasteners, etc., but the question is really, by how much have you reduced that factor of safety in an accident? The truth is it's impossible to say for sure without removing every bolt, fastener, etc. and testing its shear, compression and tensile strength, etc., but it's likely that a medium-hard impact with another object will stress some bolts and fastener to the point where you've taken them out of their original specifications, and this should be relatively easy to prove using data from a test vehicle. So, perhaps your car won't fall apart, but in another accident, will it protect as well as it did before?

And leaving aside compression and tensile stress, shear and bending are two big ones that are quite possible in an accident.

In the end, the likelihood is that following an accident such as this, many of the fasteners and bolts affected will be replaced anyway, and as for the welds and such, possibly those as well if there's significant unibody damage.

Old 05-22-2005, 11:35 PM
I just got T-boned today on the passenger side and received similar damage. I am curious how your insurance situation worked out. The lady that hit me had All State and was 100% at fault. I have State Farm.