G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6MT, turning car off and clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Cmon Son!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT, turning car off and clutch pedal

For those of you that drive manuals, do you press in the clutch when turning off the car?

The reason I am asking is I have the Compustar alarm/remote starter on my 05 and the way it works, you have to put the car in neutral, pull the e-brake up, take the key out, and close the door. This automatically turns the car off and arms it.

The thing I notice is the noise difference under the hood when you turn the car off with the clutch pressed in vs not doing so. When you dont press it in, it has a kinda bogging sound as the car shuts off, but if you use the clutch, it doesnt do it.

Is either bad for the car?

Last edited by clokwork; 04-24-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put the car in N, clutch out, then shut off car. no need to clutch-in during shut off.

The reason there are 2 different tones is because if you clutch-out, you are
connecting the engine and the gears in the tranny. the gears spin when you clutch
out regardless of N. check out www.howstuffworks.com to see how a manual tranny
works.

Old 04-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Cmon Son!
so not pressing in the clutch durring shutoff doesnt hurt anything?

Old 04-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Cmon Son!
with as many manual drivers as there are on this forum, I am surprised to see so few responses..

Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Gangster Member
Originally Posted by clokwork
For those of you that drive manuals, do you press in the clutch when turning off the car?

The reason I am asking is I have the Compustar alarm/remote starter on my 05 and the way it works, you have to put the car in neutral, pull the e-brake up, take the key out, and close the door. This automatically turns the car off and arms it.

The thing I notice is the noise difference under the hood when you turn the car off with the clutch pressed in vs not doing so. When you dont press it in, it has a kinda bogging sound as the car shuts off, but if you use the clutch, it doesnt do it.

Is either bad for the car?
I got the same alarm, if you enable your autostart and you leave your lights on Auto do they turn off? because mine dont

Old 04-25-2005, 12:35 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i push mines in...

not sure if it hurts the car or not, but i hate the sound it makes!... almost everyone i know with a G shuts if off without pushing down on the clutch

Old 04-25-2005, 12:49 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
Well I have the clutch in while braking to come to a stop, put it in neutral, shut the engine off and pull the e-brake as soon as I'm parked. So it really feels natural to turn it off with the clutch pressed all the way in.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:41 AM
i turn my car off in first with the clutch down... because i'm lazy. the recommended "driver training" method is to shut the car off in neutral. <- reason for this is so that u don't accidentaly pull up the clutch before the engine is completely out. both ways are just fine and will not do any damage. my question to u is this.... do u leave your car in neutral?? that's like me parking an automatic car and leaving it in neutral .

Old 04-25-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i turn my car off in first with the clutch down... because i'm lazy. the recommended "driver training" method is to shut the car off in neutral. <- reason for this is so that u don't accidentaly pull up the clutch before the engine is completely out. both ways are just fine and will not do any damage. my question to u is this.... do u leave your car in neutral?? that's like me parking an automatic car and leaving it in neutral .
I always leave my car in gear. It's a paranoia thing, I guess. The parking brake does its job, but I'd rather have the backup of it being in gear as well.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:05 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
I leave it in neutral when I'm parked on a flat surface.. putting it in gear is another extra step I'm too lazy to do

Well my question is this, when you leave it parked in gear, what gear do you put it in? Reverse would make the most sense if you'll be backing up.. but I've heard that leaving it in 2nd instead of 1st locks the transmission so your car cannot be towed, but I don't know how true that is.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:37 AM
i leave mine mostly in reverse. 1st is my next choice. though if on a hill... i use the appropriate (1st-reverse) depending which way my nose is pointing. i've never heard anything about the transmission locking in second... and would call it a myth. although i would like to see proof to suggest it otherwise.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
Cmon Son!
Originally Posted by GRider35c
yeah i push mines in...

not sure if it hurts the car or not, but i hate the sound it makes!... almost everyone i know with a G shuts if off without pushing down on the clutch
yeah man, thats exactly my issue. I hate the sound it makes and its the only way my remote start works. dammit!!!

Old 04-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Remote start on a manual car? Isn't that a bad idea? I remember reading an article where a lady claimed her remote start made her car drive through another house. If I can find the article I will post it.

How about when you warm the car up. I noticed when you let the clutch in on Neutral it drops a 100 RPMs even though it isnt in gear. Do you guys warm the car up while pushing the clutch pedeal down?

Old 04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
FGC South Florida BOD
I warm up the car by keeping it under 3k the first 5 min of driving, that's the right way to do it, not by letting it idle.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Cmon Son!
the remote starter I have is made for manuals. Compustar and a few others out there have one particularly made for this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT, turning car off and clutch pedal