G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is it just me or is Infiniti going backwards on the G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think they are going back. There are things that dont appeal to you, but you alone dont make the general public.

Many people (I'm not one of them) like the design of the 05's rims better than the 04's. Now one thing I can tell you for sure is that when going from 04 to 05, the interior did NOT get worse. Its true, from 04 to 05 there were some things lost (brembos the biggest thing), but overall, I think they advanced. Now with the 06... I dont think they went back or forward as there were no big changes made. I just think that for the younger people, the 05's appeal them more while the 06's will find home for the older people who dont want a loud exhaust and who rather have "nice" details such as bluetooth and projectors.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo/Non-Brembo cannot be evaluated by stoping distance only and where does it say that the non-Brembo has better stoping distance? Were two of them, with same tire wear, on the same track, ever compared? One thing for sure, brake fade is a significantly less apparent on the Brembo. My G35 is almost 3 years old, I never heard brake noise and my brake pad are only 1/2 used with 25K (driving moderately hard). No issue with brake dust; I wash my car weekly.

As for the non-Brembo equiped 2003.3 G35, their brake weren't covered by waranty when the car was released. Only after much trouble and complaint, Infiniti decided to cover the brakes. There were no issue with the Brembo; therefore, Infiniti didn't extend the coverage to them.

Why can't the 05 owner realise that the only reason Infiniti removed the Brembo was to pay for the nicer looking interior? (Wrong choice IMO)

Old 09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
03-04 were the the magic years....car of the year....the reason all of you are here....

Does it matter where infiniti is going?....You already have the goods...All the changes you'd like to see you can do youself....No matter what infiniti came out with, you people will mod it anyway....Want power?... APS TT, TURBOnetics....Vortech Anyone??
Want Style?....how about Kenstyle??....

Old 09-02-2005, 08:10 PM
wow, many people here have some serious misunderstandings about what makes a superior braking system.
i'd say there are 3 major parts:
1. feel
2. stopping distance
3. fade resistance

sure, the 05,04, or whatever may stop a few feet shorter in seperate tests done on seperate days. if you want to count that, fine. if you even want to count same-day, same-car, fine. the fact remains that the brembos are more fade resistant and offer better feel, the two most important components.

The few feet they may sacrafice on one cold use is ok. its more than made up for in every subsequent application (something magazines rarely test) and they offer better feel.

you may say that brake feel doesnt matter. if you trivialize this, you can go ahead and trivialize steering feel. at that point, you can go ahead and buy a front wheel drive Acura TL. It's a beautiful car although it lacks the feel and dynamics of a GT coupe... or let me guess, you prefer the looks of the G? Shallow thoughts for people who claim brembo to be an overhyped yellow badge.

Regarding reliability, cost, and warranty of brembos: there are no known issues with their reliability. parts for them cost more, but then again, parts for your engine cost more than parts for the Sentra's 2.5L. Regarding the warranty, most brake systems rotors and pads are wear and tear and are almost never warrantied anyway. the reason why they were warrantied on the 04 G was becuase they were faulty.

-
edit: actually the stopping distance is, to a large extent, a function of fade resistance.
ie stop brembo and non-brembo cars a few times and then see which stops in a shorter distance.

edit2: you may argue the added performance of the brembos is not needed. But then again, neither is the power of the VQ35. i would agree with the poster that said that it's up to the purchaser to decide what's adequate.. to be sure, both are 'enough' for the streets.

Last edited by tekknikal; 09-02-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Your missing the point...we aren't taking shots at the brakes, we are taking shots at the mentality of some people in relation to the brembos...

Just like those who say I wont buy the car because it doesnt come with brembos, or those who make the brembos seem like its a bucket of diamonds when in reality the stopping power of stock is just the same, if not better...don't get me wrong, who wouldn't mine having them right? But its the same thing as name brand vs. generic, both do the same thing the same way, except one is cheaper than the other....(In this case, it would be maintenance.) Not hostile at all man....just prooving the ignorance of some.

No I got the point very well. It seems there are some who don't though.
If you reread my post you'll probably get it. Those that like the Brembos have a right to do so. It's a personal preference of brakes that may be enough to make one person buy one year of car versus another. It's the same as those who rave over the interior changes in the '05 or the Bluetooth in the '06.
As to whether the stock brakes are the same as the Brembo brakes I think most knowledgable people would be able to find some difference- again whether it be cache or actual performance. And let's face it cache is part of why we own these cars.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by NismoV35
Right on the MONEY!! How Come 2006 CIVIC SI's are going to Have Only 200BHP & Brembo's and G35's at TWICE the Price Don't come with them? WTF??!!
in all fairness, not all brembos are the same. you have to take into account the dimensions of the pistons, rotor size, subjective feel, etc. but your point remains valid and I agree.

Originally Posted by mc2
That's good and i'm glad to hear there are people who have had no problems with their brembos. But please understand that there is a reason why the warranty for the brembos, and the brembos only was extended. Do you think they would do this just out of good will? They did it because there was a problem significant enough to warrant that every single brembo'd G would be covered.
I don't think 90% of us on this board track our cars.
NON-brembo warranties were extended. There's a reason why the 05 brakes are redesigned. I think Nissan dropped brembos to save money. They thought G owners wouldn't care. There's a reason why the Z track has brembos and there's a reason why brembos are getting extended to a GT model of the Z.

Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
^ I agree, its not taking a step back, its more like listening to the customer, and the brembos didnt sit all to well with some customers as well as Infiniti since they had to deal with it. They tried it and it didn't work out, so they fixed the problem...thats a STEP FORWARD if you ask me.
It IS taking a step back. The reason why 05 brakes were redesigned was due to issues with the 04 AT brakes. Brembos were likely dropped due to cost and perceived value/priorities for customers. It was probably an easy way for Infiniti to improve the 05G and still make good money.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=mc2]That's good and i'm glad to hear there are people who have had no problems with their brembos. But please understand that there is a reason why the warranty for the brembos, and the brembos only was extended. Do you think they would do this just out of good will? They did it because there was a problem significant enough to warrant that every single brembo'd G would be covered.

I'm not taking any shots at the brembos, they definately have a bling factor to them but when the numbers don't lie that the 05's have shorter stopping distance than the brembo's why is there an argument still being made for the brembos? Just because they are brembos? Of course unless you track your car often, the brembos will be a favorite as they won't exhibit as much fade and may be easier to modulate -- but both of those thigns can be easily corrected with better braking fluid, some SS braided lines, and better pads as mentioned earlier.

But please understand that there is a reason why the warranty for the brembos, and the brembos only was extended

Huh????

C'mon now. No shots at the Brembos??? Have you driven with the Brembos??

I'm not taking any shots at the brembos, they definately have a bling factor to them but when the numbers don't lie that the 05's have shorter stopping distance than the brembo's why is there an argument still being made for the brembos?
Re read my posts and you'll understand. Or if you need more help read Tekknikal's.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Infiniti should have just customized the look of it's own calipers such as the way that Acura has done on the RL. At that point the only difference (the bling factor) would be equalized.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 09-02-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Infiniti should have just customized the look of it's own calipers such as the way that Acura has done on the RL. At that point the only difference (the bling factor) would be equalized.
the m45 production prototype had 4 piston infiniti branded brakes. i'm pretty sure that they're oem brembos though...someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but the front brakes in the MT TL are OEM brembos..so Acura has a partial brembo system.

FWIW I think the G35 is headed in a good direction overall, even without the brembos. I really like the new interior, intelligent key, memory seats, 300hp engine, etc.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by mc2
stockers have shorter stopping distance as a matter of fact.
.. based only on your imagination... The brembos not only have a shorter stoping distance ( 3 magazines can confirm that with tests) but they also resist fade where it counts - on the trak. Now, most of us dont track our cars, if I did, I would definitely upgrade the stock brembos. The point is the 03' 04 brembos are better when it comes to stopping power and fade resistence than the infiniti stock brakes on the AT models!!!

Old 09-02-2005, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=2K4G35c]I'm sorry but,the lack of Brembos is one thing, the 19's have nowhere nearthe elegance that the 18's had,[QUOTE]

I bought an 05 6MT, and my personal preference but I don't like the 18s of the previous years for styling at all. The 19s look way better. My $0.02

Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
No I got the point very well. It seems there are some who don't though.
If you reread my post you'll probably get it. Those that like the Brembos have a right to do so. It's a personal preference of brakes that may be enough to make one person buy one year of car versus another. It's the same as those who rave over the interior changes in the '05 or the Bluetooth in the '06.
As to whether the stock brakes are the same as the Brembo brakes I think most knowledgable people would be able to find some difference- again whether it be cache or actual performance. And let's face it cache is part of why we own these cars.
I'm willing to bet at least 70% of the people here want the brembos purely out of "bling" factor. And you know what.. that's ok. But I wish people would just admit it. Even if the Oem brakes come short of the brembo's, it's not like the oem brakes are going to fail and cause a catostrophic accident.

It's should be about saftey and performance. While perhaps missing the subtle feel (performance) of the brembos, the oem brakes are still up to par. No set of brakes in the world will save you if you can't judge braking distance. I formerly used Hawk Pads and Power Slot Brake Rotors on my old car btw.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull

Huh????

C'mon now. No shots at the Brembos??? Have you driven with the Brembos??

Re read my posts and you'll understand. Or if you need more help read Tekknikal's.

Great, just take all of my quotes out of context?? jesus christ.

If youre going to quote me please quote all other applicable text that i've written. I clearly said that the brembos are undoubtly better for the track and will exhibit less fade and allow for better modulation. They ARE the better brake and i never said they weren't. I just don't think removing squealing pads with premature pad wear is a step backwards, and 1000 dollar repair bills is a step backwards.

and yes, i have driven an 04MT with the Brembos. I'm not taking any shots, why do you get so defensive because I disagree with you? I think you're the only one taking shots here. Chill out buddy.

Last edited by mc2; 09-02-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by ghost30
I'm willing to bet at least 70% of the people here want the brembos purely out of "bling" factor. And you know what.. that's ok. But I wish people would just admit it. Even if the Oem brakes come short of the brembo's, it's not like the oem brakes are going to fail and cause a catostrophic accident.

It's should be about saftey and performance. While perhaps missing the subtle feel (performance) of the brembos, the oem brakes are still up to par. No set of brakes in the world will save you if you can't judge braking distance. I formerly used Hawk Pads and Power Slot Brake Rotors on my old car btw.

Very well said. And most of you forget that there is a small enthusiast population out there that notice when performance is given or taken away. To the rest (and bigger) population that buys this car...its for looks, class and other reasons. Most of the older crowd who drive this car probably don't track thier cars or give a flying rats a$$ about brembos....but do probably care (and notice the brembos) when thier brakes wear out and start costing them $$$...

Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 PM
I totally disagree that 70% of the people want Brembos for the "bling" factor. Sure its there, but its deffinetly not the main reason.

Infiniti should offer Brembos as an option for 5ATs and 6MTs from now on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is Infiniti going backwards on the G35?