G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine turned off on me on the highway!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2005 | 10:33 PM
|
Engine turned off on me on the highway!

so today im going to school entering the highway in 3rd ger (i drive 6mt) its clear so i decide to take advantage and floor it. once i hit about 150kph i decided to slow down since i was entering an off ramp. So i press the cluth put the car into netural and all of a sudden my rpms dip to zero and the car just turned off. has this happened to anyone else should i take it to the dealer? i have a stillen intake and a Z-tube installed could that be a reason?

ive searched for this topic but coudn't find anything too clear.

thanks guys

Old 09-09-2005 | 10:39 PM
ONEMike. I was just making sure you didn't have any aftermarket Intake, but low-and-behold, you do. Take a look at this thread:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/66719-05-6mt-dies.html

That should explain things. This kinda wants me to NOT install in aftermarket intake

Old 09-09-2005 | 10:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
This used to be a problem with Ingen;
Haven't heard of a Stillen issue b4 now.

Old 09-09-2005 | 11:01 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by ONEmike
so today im going to school entering the highway in 3rd ger (i drive 6mt) its clear so i decide to take advantage and floor it. once i hit about 150kph i decided to slow down since i was entering an off ramp. So i press the cluth put the car into netural and all of a sudden my rpms dip to zero and the car just turned off. has this happened to anyone else should i take it to the dealer? i have a stillen intake and a Z-tube installed could that be a reason?

ive searched for this topic but coudn't find anything too clear.

thanks guys
Seems the VQ is susceptible to having its a/f upset just enough to cause a stall by changing intakes.
I've heard of this happening only on the 6M/T probably because an automatic wouldn't normally be shifted into neutral (to effect something similar to a clutch disengagement)

I experimented with my Sedan's intake as well as my Coupe's intake and found that any change from OEM did affect at least the idle. (tho in a small way).

C.

Old 09-09-2005 | 11:05 PM
had the same problem.. happened to me after i topped 4th and switched to neutral to cruise.. i have a injen CAI btw. its a problem with the intake.. the dealer wont do anything about it. they "cannot replicate the situation"

Old 09-10-2005 | 01:31 AM
same thing happened to me and has been happening alot lately

Old 09-10-2005 | 03:17 AM
Well, now I'm glad I've waited and not get the CAI or even the Z tube. Seems like an unsafe mode to me. Other mod just doesn't do anything but this ones actually can be dangerous.

Old 09-10-2005 | 03:22 AM
Now that I think about it, once when I had my 03 5at and I was going downhill about 50-60 on a parkway and put it in neutral my engine just shut off. That happened only once in about 2 years of having the stillen box/z tube combo on the 5at. I guess its less of a big deal in an mt car since you can just start it up withough stopping but still sucks. I was going to put the stillen/z tube in my new mt but now I am getting worried. I really love the sound it makes, stock its just so gutless at rpm.

Old 09-10-2005 | 04:33 AM
damn. thats why the im sticking with suspension mods and cosmetic mods. the car comes pretty well equiped from the factory.

Old 09-10-2005 | 09:42 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Well, now I'm glad I've waited and not get the CAI or even the Z tube. Seems like an unsafe mode to me. Other mod just doesn't do anything but this ones actually can be dangerous.
Z tube alone is no problem, if you keep the OEM intake

Old 09-10-2005 | 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
Now that I think about it, once when I had my 03 5at and I was going downhill about 50-60 on a parkway and put it in neutral my engine just shut off. That happened only once in about 2 years of having the stillen box/z tube combo on the 5at. I guess its less of a big deal in an mt car since you can just start it up withough stopping but still sucks. I was going to put the stillen/z tube in my new mt but now I am getting worried. I really love the sound it makes, stock its just so gutless at rpm.
why would you put it in neutral when you're driving an auto?

Old 09-10-2005 | 11:12 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
does anyone know if the nismo intake has the same effect? i want one but if this is the result.. f it....

Old 09-10-2005 | 02:03 PM
all i no is it only happens to me when i drive with vdc off .. but it happens to me like once a day and it aint safe cus the steering goes out and when u r doin like 90 on the highway around a sharp turn and ur car dies it really sucks

Old 09-10-2005 | 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by rdurkin05g35
all i no is it only happens to me when i drive with vdc off .. but it happens to me like once a day and it aint safe cus the steering goes out and when u r doin like 90 on the highway around a sharp turn and ur car dies it really sucks
Tell me about it! The first time mine died, I was at 110MPH approaching a turn with a posted limit of 35MPH. I was on some lone backroad with no cars, however... Nothing like a freeway, that would be crazy.

Old 09-10-2005 | 03:35 PM
|
it scared the crap out of me because i never suspected it to happen. im just driving and all of a sudden i had no power and my steering locked up which is not safe at all. so i shouldn't bring it to the dealer. i don't want this to happen again and lead to something fatal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine turned off on me on the highway!