G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Sunroof 'popping noise' - fix anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof 'popping noise' - fix anyone?

I've had the dealer fix this a couple of times and within a month the noise is back... Yes, i've searced and found some ideas on the subject but no real solutions... I've tried to clean & lube the roof myself and this helps also, but the noise just returns...

I can say that it is much better, but will always 'pop' when the body twists alot and there are 2 places (at least) that I drive over on my daily commute that do this.

So, any good fixes or is this something to live with? BTW, I love my G, there are no other problems, no rattles etc., this popping noise is my only complaint after 30K miles!

Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Dang, no comments

Old 09-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Sun Roof popping sound

Have the same sound from mine. I also took it back to the dealer with little help. It's seems to pop more in the cold weather.

I am at a lost!!! Living with it for two years know

RalphieG

Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM
Old 09-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had that issue for a while too. Brought it to the dealer, they fixed it...then a month or so later....repeat. What worked for me was cleaning the seal and sourounding metal with wd40 a few times and also repositioning the sunroof not to miss any spots, then go over it with a damp cloth to remove any wd40 residue. Also make sure your track is clean but don't get rid of the grease on it either. Once all is nice and clean, use a pure silicone spray (3m or alike) on the seals and the metal where it contacts the seal. Thats it...mine has been going strong for about 6+ months.........now onto the other rattles!!!!!

Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayco
i dont think this has anything to do with the sunroof squealing while opening and closing.

the popping noise just happens when u hit a bump at a certain speed, and u can hear the "pop" from the ceililng of your car.
i havent taken my car to the dealership yet cuz i couldn't replicate the problem. it seldom happens to me so i'll live wit it for now.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have the dealer replace the entire sunroof mechanism or at least replace with a new kit

Old 09-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by jayco
Thanks, but it only lasts for a couple of weeks, then it's popping again...

Old 09-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by gizsf
I had that issue for a while too. Brought it to the dealer, they fixed it...then a month or so later....repeat. What worked for me was cleaning the seal and sourounding metal with wd40 a few times and also repositioning the sunroof not to miss any spots, then go over it with a damp cloth to remove any wd40 residue. Also make sure your track is clean but don't get rid of the grease on it either. Once all is nice and clean, use a pure silicone spray (3m or alike) on the seals and the metal where it contacts the seal. Thats it...mine has been going strong for about 6+ months.........now onto the other rattles!!!!!
Close to what I have done, but I will try this now; sounds good!
Thanks,
MB

Old 09-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by LjN_728
Have the dealer replace the entire sunroof mechanism or at least replace with a new kit
I don't want em' that far into my G unless it is absolutely unavoidable... Things like this tend to lead to other problems, rattles, etc. been there, done that with other vehicles.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:02 PM
g4s
i had this issue. its definitely a different issue than the squeaking creaking of the sunroof's rubber molding. the roof area actually pops when the body flexes, especially over driveway entrances and speedbumps.

i took mine to the dealership and they fixed it almost a yr ago. never came back. forgot what the repair work exactly stated but it was a bolt or nut that had to be torqued down.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Gummi Pflege is the only thing to use on your seal.. It lasts much longer than 3m and doesnt stink.

As for the metallic popping, it appears to be a loose nut on the sunroof mech. I've had the dealer fix it once (and also replace the entire thing), it eventually returned (I had my g for 2.5 years), which leaves me to go back in myself. I might use some thread lock if I can reach it.

Sorry, I forget the members nick that PM'd me this, but basically....
Pulled off the a-pillar (just pull, hard) which allowed me to pull the roof liner down slightly. It's made of quite tough plastic and so I simply added some weatherstripping to the inside of the lining and bent 1-2mm of it (barely enough to stick) over the edge of the liner. When I put it back it's now comfy weatherstripping foam vs windshield instead of tappity-tappity-tap roofliner vs windshield. I also took this oppotunity to wrap the wires that go thru the a-pillar as these rattled occasionally too. I'm going to do something similar with anything in the b-pillar sometime soon. It's really very easy and much less hassle than asking the dealer to figure it out...
appearently, you can reach the nut while youve got it pulled down.

Last edited by TimW; 09-28-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by TimW
Gummi Pflege is the only thing to use on your seal.. It lasts much longer than 3m and doesnt stink.

As for the metallic popping, it appears to be a loose nut on the sunroof mech. I've had the dealer fix it once (and also replace the entire thing), it eventually returned (I had my g for 2.5 years), which leaves me to go back in myself. I might use some thread lock if I can reach it.

Sorry, I forget the members nick that PM'd me this, but basically...

appearently, you can reach the nut while youve got it pulled down.
OOOH, now we're getting into some good stuff!
Thanks, htb

Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 AM
for those that havent heard the sunroof frame pop (not the seal noise), the first time I heard it I was pulling into an inclined driveway at an angle. I swear, it sounded like an acorn had hit the roof. It even startled my wife as it was right over her head on the passenger side. I actually stopped and inspected the roof, I was sure something dented it.

Its one of the more odd noises because it actually happens more for me when its warm.. rather than all the cold season rattles I have.