G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Are our cars easy to steal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are our cars easy to steal?

I've been lurking here and have learned a lot reading all the posts. Thanks, guys!

But tell me, are our cars easy to steal? A friend who has an '03 G35 coupe said he parked his ride at a bar early one evening and noticed it was gone 30 minutes later. I suspect his ex-girlfriend, who still has a key and key fob, "reposessed" it. He claims she would never do that and has reported the car stolen. If so, tell me our cars aren't that easy to steal!

2005 IP coupe, stock for now.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wont say its hard to steal any car, cars parked outside can be easily be towed or put on flat bed truck and be gone in less than 45 secs.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:03 AM
A friend of mine just bought a C6. The doors on his C6 will open and you can start the engine by depressing the start button, as long as the FOB is in your pocket. So last week he went to show me his car when we were at work. After we walked to his car which is about a 100' from our office, he realized that he left the FOB in his coat pocket which was in his office. So we checked out his car and before we went back the office, I tried to open the door of the C6. Not only did the door open but I was also able to start the engine. I love new technology. Anyway, he made an appointment to have his car checked out. I wonder how many other C6s have this problem. Rather than gone in 60 secs, my friend's C6 could be gone in one sec.

Last edited by FAST1; 03-01-2006 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 AM
I am pretty sure it is hard to break into our cars and drive away.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Mmhm...
i think manufactures are manking it more difficult to break into cars now a days... but then again you never know.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:38 AM
breaking in?

3 seconds. Hammer to the window.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 AM
the ex girlfriend stole it. i think the g uses the same key transponder technology that is ussed on the maxima. without the transponder in the key, the engine will not start.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:49 AM
The car can be easily broken into. The locks can be easily jimmy'd, the passenger windows easily break, and I've even heard of a magnet trick to open the door. However, the car itself is extremely difficult to hotwire, so thieves don't bother. Most will search the car for valuables and sometimes they find spare keys in the car. Otherwise the favored method to steal a g35 is a tow truck... The only defense is to get a lowjack type security system. There's actual posts of people's solten g35 stories on here if you can dig them up you can find out how this type of thing typically happens.

The fact that there is a key fob missing is highly suspicious, she could have easily given it to someone else or conveniently "lost" it.

Last edited by Beowulf; 03-01-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 AM
In earlier posts, it was known that the windows could be rolled down so the alarm doesn't go off. So a lot of people started putting the covers on their door locks.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they want it bad enough . . . Consider it stolen.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Well, the C6 issue would also happen with the '06 G's with intelligent key...

Old 03-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
If they want it bad enough . . . Consider it stolen.
Agree 100%

Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 AM
This isn't about the G, but rather just a confirmation of the "if they want it, they'll get it.." theory.

I had a 94 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 turbo diesel pickup. I had it in the local auto trader for about a month prior to this incident happening:

- cold Saturday night in January 00, I park the truck - in my neighbour's driveway as was usual since I had 5 vehicles and only 4 spots;
- next morning, I wake up to freshly fallen snow and decide I want to go for a drive that normally included a coffee and a walk through the auto mall;
- get to my truck and see all sorts of photos/paperwork/etc stuff that once was "in" my vehicle, laying underneath/around the truck in the snow;
- no broken windows, key hole seemed fine;
- steering column smashed and I think they tried to hotwire the truck, but couldn't;

- Monday morning, I get a quote from my dealership for the repair parts - will take 3-4 days to arrive - about $1200 CDN;
- parts come in on Wednesday, dealer calls and I arrange an appointment for Friday;

- Wednesday night, I go to bed;
- 3am Thursday morning, my brother calls me and asks where my truck is as he just got off work and drove by and didn't see it at the neighbour's. I told him that I parked it at the neighbour's, but will go out and see;
- by the time I'm outside, my brother is in my neighbour's driveway (he turned around and came back), but my truck was nowhere to be seen;
- in the freshly fallen snow, you could see where they dragged the truck onto a car trailer

So, with this, I was left with the following:

- it really doesn't matter what you do, they will take it if they want to;
- don't leave personal items in the car - even pictures, etc - you just feel violated when you see everything thrown around - the level of anger supersedes the anger felt for having the vehicle broken into;
- insurance company was extremely good - great service and payout;
- I believe that whoever stole the truck, called me about the ad in the trader. I have no proof and I don't even know who it would have been, but it's the perfect shopping guide for a thief. Just think about it:

How many miles? What condition? Any extras? Where is it? Can I come see it on... (had a few make arrangements to view, but then back out - most call to cancel but a couple didn't)

When the insurance company closed it's investigation and provided me with my cheque, I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS (5 spd manual ), but found that even with a LoJack type of tracking device (Boomerang in Canada), I always looked out the window at night to see that the car was where I left it.

Theft sucks. Don't get too attached to your car - there will always be another - realize what a car really is, in the whole scheme of things.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Something one should always consider when selling a car. Never let anybody know where you live, unless you have theft proof security.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
The only way to start the car is with a programmed key. You have to program the key to the car. So you can not just buy a pre-programmed key. So, unless you have the programmed key, they can't start your car.
The only way someone can steal it without a key is to tow it away.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are our cars easy to steal?