G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How reliable is VDC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How reliable is VDC?

Today I was driving and road wasn't even that wet... just slighlty moist even. When I was taking a not "that" quick turn my back end slid around and I had to prevent it from spinning. In addition there was no "slip" light that came on when this happened.

Also when I was going to my parking garage, there is alot of sharp curves and the tarmac was a little more wet but when I gave it a little bit of gas it made a huge burnout sound and echoed the entire garage infront of alot of people... I felt sort of stupid but this has never happened before. Again no slip light when this happened.

Is my VDC not working properly or has anyone experience this before?... I flicked the VDC light on and off but shortly after I just parked to get to work. I fairly new the RWD scene but I actually love it tho I have only driven it for 4 months.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
I've personally found that my SLIP light only comes on when I really have some excessive wheelspin happening. There will be instances where I'll feel a little blip of the VDC working and the SLIP light isn't actuated.

Welcome to the world of rear wheel drive. I'm still getting used to having a RWD car again (10 years since my 300ZX's) and as you have probably already figured out, it doesnt take much to break the tires loose on a the coupe! (Much like my Z cars, whom I miss

Old 03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
hmm.. I'm just wondering because I have made tougher, quicker turns with VDC on with even wetter pavement and have not had the experience I had today. It wasn't bad tho, it felt nice to let the back end loose without hitting anything or even come close to hitting anything in mild traffic, I'm just worried that my VDC might be malfunctioning or something. Also I don't feel confident enough trying to drive with VDC off, I may try it out in the summer but since I picked up my G in December haven't even considered.

I test drove a Z before I bought the G, I felt the Z is easier to get the back end loose.

Coming from FWD which sucks, AWD which is AWesome, RWD is fun.. way better than FWD and it helps me not miss AWD turbo as much!

Old 03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
I'm feelin you man. The only thing that really kept me from getting a WRX STi or an Evo was that I'm sick of the boy-racer crap at stoplights. Althought the 4WD sure would have been nice the night I was trapped in a freak squall in Indy in December! But I'm willing to sacrifice fun in the winter for a blast in the summer!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Yah I understand what your saying, I had 360whp Evo that I used as a daily driver and track fun on weekends, you can't imagine how many kid ricers try to race you on public roads, they are speeding by me during regular commute thinking when they go home... yah... I owned an Evo today.

It was complete stock exterior and no visual mods at all, beside guages for tuning purposes... all the bling was under the hood and a 3" turbo-back.

In my G35 I feel alot more comfortable, relaxed and ready to cruise, with enough power to keep me happy. Besides I look stupid wearing a suit in the Evo

Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Re: How reliable is VDC?

I've found VDC to be annoyingly and sometimes dangerously unpredictable in its operation. For example, when trying to enter traffic from a stop, making a right turn from a side street onto a main road, if there's any sand on the road (and after this New England winter, it's pretty much everywhere) the right rear wheel tends to spin a little while the left rear maintains a firm grip on the road. Although the rear end of the car is in absolutely no danger of sliding sideways, under these circumstances the VDC frequently kicks in and slows the car, so much so that on more than one occasion I have come disturbingly close to getting rear-ended. Over the course of the year I've owned my G, when VDC interferes in this manner I've learned to get off the gas immediately to "reset" it and then get back on the gas to get the car moving.

On the other hand, there are times when I wished/expected VDC to intervene and it hasn't, for example when driving on a wet, winding road on a cold day where the traction afforded by the "summer" Bridgestone RE050As is at a minimum. The car can get "tail happy" and yet the VDC does absolutely nothing to prevent or respond to it. It seems that if both rear wheels lose traction equally that the VDC is as likely as not to intervene, particularly if the car is moving in a straight line when the slippage occurs. I experienced a variation of this one morning when I tried to back the G out of my flat driveway, which was coated with a mere 1/4 inch of snow, to get to my winter ride, an all-wheel drive 1992 Eclipse GSX. Even though I was feathering the throttle the wheels spun, the car went nowhere, and VDC was once again missing in action.

When I want to maximize the performance, and particularly, the predictability of my G, I shut the VDC off. Although I usually leave it enabled on rainy days in the hope that it might help to keep me out of trouble during my morning or evening commute, it's hardly a feature that I feel I can depend on because its behavior is so unpredictable. It's certainly no replacement for alert, skillful driving.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned
dump it at 7k and see if it comes on, if it doesnt them sumthin is wrong

Old 03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
i know what your saying running, honestly I don't ever notice when it comes on?

Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
dump it at 7k and see if it comes on, if it doesnt them sumthin is wrong
Yah.. then would you replace my clutch?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
remember VDC can only go so far.. you cant define physics..

Old 03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
My VDC is as predictable as hell. When I go over railroad tracks with some decent throttle, as you expect there is a little loss of traction. The throttle pulls back, the light comes on for a second, and I get a laugh. I do it every time just to watch it now...let's see how much the computer wants me to slow down...

Usually I turn it off when it is dry out. As I've said before it's not like the car all of the sudden goes crazy when you turn it off. Especially when you have good rubber like the overpriced Dunlop 9000's I have...I like'm but like all performance tires they wear out...

Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 AM
It always seems to kick in a when I need it too but also a lot when I dont want it to. Thats what I like about my dads new c6 - It lets you slide a little bit and then kicks in.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Strtsk8r321
It always seems to kick in a when I need it too but also a lot when I dont want it to. Thats what I like about my dads new c6 - It lets you slide a little bit and then kicks in.
What is your Dad's number? He should not be letting you drive his C6. Give me the key fob beyatch.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:15 AM
can you guys spin your wheels with the vdc on? i have my stillen and he wheel won't spin with vdc on......

Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 AM
Have not tried with VDC on, kind of defeats the purpose. Based on my experience with my G, you will not be able to spin to your satisifaction. I can get a little chirp between gears, but nothing like when it is off.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok.. I think maybe something is wrong with my VDC?... I can spin my wheels with VDC on... I mean? Burnout right?...

I also drive over alot of railroad tracks almost daily and never slip light.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How reliable is VDC?