G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Calling all "X's" with a lowered suspension!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I believe you got the 10 up front. When they shipped me I got a 12 up front and 8 in there rear.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I listened to what u guys said. I actually read all the pages and answered by question. Sorry for being a new. From going from a car that had all aftemarket parts available to a car which was somewhat limited aftermarket parts it's a little annoying lol. But yeah I've decided to go with the coilovers. Definitely best thing to do. Now should I get the spc front and rear camber kits or I don't need both or don't need them at all. Everyone hAd diferentthings to say.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
bc coilover interference

Hey Lumpia,

over huge drops and bumps at speed is your control arm crashing into the suspension box? even with the stock components i have an interference issue and i am not even close to as low as you are. i have a finger and a half gap. i had the eibach control arms up front and it was worse. any help would be appreciated as it is super annoying. it is ony happening over huge bumps or drops.

at first i thought maybe the rebound was not good enough but i am beginning to think it is something else.

any ideas?

by the way i have a 2006 awd sedan

Old 07-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Mine hit on huge bumps too. Only suggestion I can give you is raise, stop going over bumps so fast or adjust the preload.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by SLVRG35X
Hey Lumpia,

over huge drops and bumps at speed is your control arm crashing into the suspension box? even with the stock components i have an interference issue and i am not even close to as low as you are. i have a finger and a half gap. i had the eibach control arms up front and it was worse. any help would be appreciated as it is super annoying. it is ony happening over huge bumps or drops.

at first i thought maybe the rebound was not good enough but i am beginning to think it is something else.

any ideas?

by the way i have a 2006 awd sedan
How bad is it? And how much higher do you have to go for it to go away?

I kinda want the coils but want the ride and handling to still be good (don't care so much about the looks as much as taming the suspension on X a bit).

Old 07-09-2010, 01:45 AM
i have a one and a half finger wheel well gap right now. i am not going up, f that. i am going to have the suspension box notched. it only hits on huge off center bumps or when i am in a hard corner where one of the front wheels is under load and i hit a bump.

once i get it fixed i will post some pics. for those of you that dont know the control arm and coilover attach/fit to a suspension box. welded on to this box is one inch rod that supports the fender. under extreme load or when you hit off center bumps the control arm comes in contact with a portion of this suspenion box and that support rod.

i know i can have it modified it is just annoying that i have to do it at all.

oh and we adjusted the preload as much as possible.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by fozzy fosbourne
How bad is it? And how much higher do you have to go for it to go away?

I kinda want the coils but want the ride and handling to still be good (don't care so much about the looks as much as taming the suspension on X a bit).
if i went an inch or so higher there would be not contact. the ride on the bc's is amazing. i have kw's and koni's on my two other cars and they ride as good or better. tons of adjustability as well. you will need a rear camber kit but other than that they are awesome.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So i did some reading and im not looking to drop my car a whole lot but wats the best way to drop our cars on a budget that avoids the most problems?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by alexh521
So i did some reading and im not looking to drop my car a whole lot but wats the best way to drop our cars on a budget that avoids the most problems?
How much do you want to drop it, what's the budget and what problems would you like to avoid?

Unless you go very conservative (like me), basically every drop available for the X will wear out your shocks, struts and tires faster than normal. You can fix the tire issue with a camber kit. Not really any way to avoid the shocks/struts problem unless you go with coilovers.

I have the most mild spring setup available (coupe fronts/sedan sport rears) and I'm still on the fence whether or not to buy a rear camber kit. Probably will eventually just because I hate throwing away money on tires. I really think there is enough adjustability in the stock setup to get me back within specs, but my alignment guy swears it's not possible.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im looking to avoid any problems with rubbing, having to get camber kits, and blowing out my shocks and struts.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
then you should not lower the car. dropping a car almost always requires you to do soemthing else.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
How much do you want to drop it, what's the budget and what problems would you like to avoid?

Unless you go very conservative (like me), basically every drop available for the X will wear out your shocks, struts and tires faster than normal. You can fix the tire issue with a camber kit. Not really any way to avoid the shocks/struts problem unless you go with coilovers.

I have the most mild spring setup available (coupe fronts/sedan sport rears) and I'm still on the fence whether or not to buy a rear camber kit. Probably will eventually just because I hate throwing away money on tires. I really think there is enough adjustability in the stock setup to get me back within specs, but my alignment guy swears it's not possible.
How is your ride quality? I'm looking for a conservative drop too but conservative is very subjective. You have guys who are slammed who think S-techs are conservative. I personally am thinking about going with Htechs and coupe 19s.

I'd like the car to be a bit lower but I don't want to sacrifice camber issues and rubbing. I rarely drive with many people in the car and lots of weight but it would be nice to have that luxury otherwise I could have just bought a coupe. Ideally I'd like it to handle a bit better, I don't care if I have more of a feeling of the road.

Any suggestions? Should I be going z/g instead? How about tires? I was thinking to go with Conti DWS 245/40/19 but maybe 235 would be better?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
How is your ride quality? I'm looking for a conservative drop too but conservative is very subjective. You have guys who are slammed who think S-techs are conservative. I personally am thinking about going with Htechs and coupe 19s.

I'd like the car to be a bit lower but I don't want to sacrifice camber issues and rubbing. I rarely drive with many people in the car and lots of weight but it would be nice to have that luxury otherwise I could have just bought a coupe. Ideally I'd like it to handle a bit better, I don't care if I have more of a feeling of the road.

Any suggestions? Should I be going z/g instead? How about tires? I was thinking to go with Conti DWS 245/40/19 but maybe 235 would be better?
When I say conservative, I mean conservative. The stock X springs are approximately .5" taller than stock RWD springs. It's really difficult to measure the exact change in ride height, but installing the sedan sport rears dropped the back right around half an inch. The Coupe fronts were closer to an inch shorter than the X fronts and that corresponded to right around a 1" drop in the front. This is pretty much equivalent to the drop the G/Z spring combo gives RWD sedans and my car ended up slightly lower than a stock RWD. The only thing that would give you less is if you put sedan sports in the front, but I prefer the wheel gap to be about the same in the front and the rear.

As far as ride quality goes, I really didn't notice any change at all. The spring rates are pretty close to stock and I'm not low enough to noticeably increase the handling.

Z/G springs would give you a drop that was between the Coupe/Sedan Sports and the H-Techs. They would also be significantly cheaper than the H-Techs. The H-Techs would be a good choice too and I've heard the ride quality is fairly good. I would try to find a used set so you can save a little cash though. Also, you will need a rear camber kit with those unless you are just wanting to adjust the toe back within spec. There may be enough adjustment with the stock toe bolts to do that.

I've heard the Conti DWS are a quality all-season tire. I went with GoodYear Eagle GT's, but that was mostly because of the limited availability in the size I was looking for. Depending on where you live, you might also consider a Summer tire for those wheels. I can't comment too much on tire sizes because my wheels are 18", but the 235/40 would be closer to stock diameter than a 245/40. There are tons of people on here with the Rays who can probably give you recommendations based on their experiences.

There are a few pictures of my car on post 496 in the thread linked below. As you can tell, it looks pretty much like a stock RWD. Too high for most peoples taste, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...inum-pics.html

Last edited by OKStateG35; 07-13-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
When I say conservative, I mean conservative. The stock X springs are approximately .5" taller than stock RWD springs. It's really difficult to measure the exact change in ride height, but installing the sedan sport rears dropped the back right around half an inch. The Coupe fronts were closer to an inch shorter than the X fronts and that corresponded to right around a 1" drop in the front. This is pretty much equivalent to the drop the G/Z spring combo gives RWD sedans and my car ended up slightly lower than a stock RWD. The only thing that would give you less is if you put sedan sports in the front, but I prefer the wheel gap to be about the same in the front and the rear.

As far as ride quality goes, I really didn't notice any change at all. The spring rates are pretty close to stock and I'm not low enough to noticeably increase the handling.

Z/G springs would give you a drop that was between the Coupe/Sedan Sports and the H-Techs. They would also be significantly cheaper than the H-Techs. The H-Techs would be a good choice too and I've heard the ride quality is fairly good. I would try to find a used set so you can save a little cash though. Also, you will need a rear camber kit with those unless you are just wanting to adjust the toe back within spec. There may be enough adjustment with the stock toe bolts to do that.

I've heard the Conti DWS are a quality all-season tire. I went with GoodYear Eagle GT's, but that was mostly because of the limited availability in the size I was looking for. Depending on where you live, you might also consider a Summer tire for those wheels. I can't comment too much on tire sizes because my wheels are 18", but the 235/40 would be closer to stock diameter than a 245/40. There are tons of people on here with the Rays who can probably give you recommendations based on their experiences.

There are a few pictures of my car on post 496 in the thread linked below. As you can tell, it looks pretty much like a stock RWD. Too high for most peoples taste, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...inum-pics.html
I think your drop with 19s would be a good drop. It's too difficult to tell. I've seen people with Htechs that look lower than Stechs and Htechs that have less of a drop than you. I might just have to copy your setup haha.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by ilv2xlr8
I think your drop with 19s would be a good drop. It's too difficult to tell. I've seen people with Htechs that look lower than Stechs and Htechs that have less of a drop than you. I might just have to copy your setup haha.
19" Rays would definitely look good.

I agree that it's difficult to tell from pictures. Even in person the wheel gap changes noticeably depending on whether or not the ground is completely level. If I was you, I would try to find a deal on some springs like mine or a Z/G setup just because they are so cheap. If you don't like it, you can always upgrade to H-Techs later.

All three options are fairly conservative. The wheels will make the biggest difference.

Last edited by OKStateG35; 07-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Calling all "X's" with a lowered suspension!