G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Who changes their own oil?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:37 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got done changing my oil today using Mobile 1 and a Nissan OEM filter/copper washer I picked up while at the dealer. Let me just tell you this, dealers suck at changing oil! I only had about 3,000 miles on the car (since the last oil change) and when I went to drain the oil, it was like pitch black! I was like WTF! I talked to my gf's dad (Toyota mechanic) and he told me that dealers bang cars out quick as $hit if they are just getting an oil change b/c they don't make money on them. He told me that he sees some techs that just drain a majority of the oil and then puts the drain plug right back in. He told me this stuff collects at the bottom of the oil pan over time and thats why my oil is probably so dark. I wasn't too happy and I'm glad I did my own oil this time. I usually do my own oil change but I got a free oil change last time I went to the dealer so I didn't mind. Never again!!!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did mine today cost me $39 and about 30 min of my time.
i used castrol syn.
changing oil is cake i say do it yourself!!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rijen1013
just did mine today cost me $39 and about 30 min of my time.
i used castrol syn.
changing oil is cake i say do it yourself!!

Changing your oil is only cake if you have the proper tools, a decent workspace, and a beer.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:58 PM
that's right my bad guys!!
it is cake if you have all the proper tools and a good work area!!!!
Originally Posted by RXM
Changing your oil is only cake if you have the proper tools, a decent workspace, and a beer.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm going to change the oil for the first time with the new G. I always use Mobil 1 Synthetic and M1 oil filter. Looking under the G i see all this plastic that i have to pull out to access the filter. I know i'm not going to like it the first time. On my Honda was really easy. Everything was accessible and quick.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a hole in the plastic underbody cover where you can access the filter and drain plug. You really don't have to take apart/off the cover at all to change your oil. It was actually easier to change the oil in my G35 then it was in my old Integra. Both the filter and the oil drain plug on the G's are very low in relation to the oil pan.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by bert039
There's a hole in the plastic underbody cover where you can access the filter and drain plug. You really don't have to take apart/off the cover at all to change your oil. It was actually easier to change the oil in my G35 then it was in my old Integra. Both the filter and the oil drain plug on the G's are very low in relation to the oil pan.
Unless the 05+ G35s are different, there is a not "access" to the oil filter with the aero cover in place. The drain bolt is accessable, but most of us prefer to change the filter on every oil change.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:56 AM
has anyone ever notice any oil loss after an oil change??? i've been hearing a lot about how a lot of vq35 have oil consumption problems. i myself have a 03 maxima 6 spd and my girl has an 03 g35 sedan at, i lose about 2 qts every oil change, and i've been doing some reading on it, and lots of people are blamin it on nissans poor piston rings and the use of mobile 1, they say mobile1 is the thinest synthetic oil out there, so if i was you guys be careful with it and check your oil after each oil change to make sure you're not loosing any oil. i stop using m1 and have switch over to castrol syn. i heard that some auto parts store carry the german made 0w30 castrol and thats suppose to be a lot better than any m1 oil here.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Its good to do it yourself, but make sure your car does not have an oil consumption problem first. I noticed mine was burning a lot of oil after my second oil change and Im glad I had the dealer do it. Otherwise I would of been screwed. And even then it took me close to a year to get a new long-block which Im breaking in right now.
If you have no proof of changing your oil they wont warranty the motor.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:43 PM
I need to get my oil changed for the first time on my G35. I do not have time or the proper tools to do it myself for the time being, so I am thinking about bringing it to a local place near my work that charges a little more than Walmart but their reputation is better. Everybody here seems to be using synthetic...is this a requirement for the engine? I used M1 on my Si because of how hard I drove it and how high revving it was. It looked like the previous owner for my G35 used Syn blend at a service station. What do you all reccomend for the best value/quality?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:04 AM
Synthetics generally offer better protection for your engine. I don't think synthetics are a requirement, but pretty much everyone here who tracks their car runs synthetics since synthetics typically hold up better under high heat. Here's a good article about oil if you want more info:

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Is there any harm in changing the oil previously used in my car over to Mobil 1??

Old 11-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Where do you drop off the used oil?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
I change mine every 3k with M1. It saves a lot of money to DIY.
????

saves ZILCH to DIY. if you have your own oil + filter - a local gas station should charge only 10 or 12 bucks for oil change.

BUT

i still DIY since the techs tend to spill the oil or loose the bolts on the dust shield

Old 11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by myG35ZX
Where do you drop off the used oil?
gas stations...dealerships...parts store, they all have oil drop off points and are free to use by law

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who changes their own oil?