G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:18 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.

microscope:

Trying to understand your logic, so, therefore, one should not even be considering the purchase of a Subaru - either get the best AWD car in the world, or get NONE! Because if you show up in anything less than a full-on Turbo Posche Cayenne, or better, then "everyone now knows that you don't have (want to spend) the money for the tops", so, "your financial situation is expsoed (sic) in a limited way". That's what you said, right?

Also, the Infiniti car company is not spelled with a "y", either.

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 08-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we've all been missing the point all along. I guess we should all be driving SRT-4's. I mean, why drive a posh subaru just to impress your friends when an SRT-4 is much more fun to drive.

In case you hadn't noticed, the G35 has been winning all of the comparos in it's class. Let's see if I can get this right:

A Maybach owner is the king of the hill.
A Bentley owner is a poser b/c he can't afford a Maybach, why spend that kind of money if your not a real roller. Instead, get an AMG Benz.
But an AMG Benz is so everyday, and you're really not proving anything to anyone, because hey, a 911 could put you into the weeds.
Yet Mr. 911 has one hell of an ego. I mean, if he can't pop for the Turbo, what's the point? May as well settle for a S4.
Wow, what a tool you must be to drive a S4. May as well save the dough because everyone knows you are just a poser who can't afford the M5.
That puts you in a G35, but Microscope has already covered why you wouldn't want one of those.
And I've already covered why you should drive a SRT-4 instead of a Subaru, you greedy capitalist pig.
Truth be told, people are going to think you can't afford to do better than an SRT-4. I mean c'mon - are we give you any credit for buying a car with rollup rear windows?
No sir - you ought to be driving a Kia Spectra. Those things are toight yo'. But what's with being so flashy with that extended warranty and all 'dat.

In the end, all the players are driving these b/c they can't afford the Maybach and everyone knows it: a nice Lada Riva.

'98.5 Contour SVT, 131K miles and counting

316735-Riva.gif

Old 08-04-2004, 10:30 PM

Money was not (really) a factor in my situation; because of my success, I am fortunate enough that my company just told me to get what I want (within reason of course; that's why I said $$ was "not really" a factor) and after spending a few months with our '03 FX35 and driving a G35 Sedan loaner when our FX35 was getting an oil change, I knew the G35 would probably be my next company car (btw - my last company car was a 2000 Ford Taurus which I drove for 4 1/2 years...it was a very reliable, no frills, A-to-B mode of transportation and with the exception of it lacking ABS brakes, I couldn't complain (it was free afterall ;-). Before the Taurus, however, I was used to owning/driving Lexus (I've had 3 of them) and of course, our new FX35 is just awesome!!

To be fair though, I did compare the Infiniti G35 with an '04 Acura TL (which the FWD just killed it for me although I really like the interior and cool features), a BMW 3 Series (which I'm still not a big fan of but I had to give it another chance, although the M3 is a different story...that's one cool, super fast but expensive machine ;-), the Audi A4, and believe it or not, I looked seriously at the Mazda 6s (which I was very impressed with for it's price point, but again it's FWD, doesn't have a Navi system or Xenon HIDs (at least the '04 didn't anyway). In addition, yes, status/name recognition also plays a small part too as my customers are all in the upper socio-economic status...they pretty much all drive BMW, Lexus, MB, and yes, Infiniti as well. My company wanted to get me a MB C Class, but I knew better, he he...I think I made a good choice ;-) So, your recommendations to me about test driving the Subaru Legacy GT are pointless; that car simply doesn't meet my needs and my choice was made in May; I will just be enjoying my G35 until my next co. car in a few years or so...I'm already keeping an eye on the new Infiniti M45 though...very nice ;-). Others however, may be more interested in taking a look at the Subie if they're still undecided.

btw - I too don't understand your logic; there's certainly nothing wrong with buying a product (any product whether it be a car, a house, a watch, a widget, or whatever) that satisfies your needs and wants w/o spending the most amount of $$ on it; that's why negotiation, discounts, sales and coupons are all great b/c as a consumer, you feel better about your purchase, like your getting a good deal.

With the sports sedans, for example, I know my Infiniti G35 has the same or more features and is much faster than my brother's BMW 530i, so my logic tells me that if I personally had to pay for it, I wouldn't drive the Bimmer b/c it's less of a car than my Infiniti for $10k more...doesn't make sense ;-) However, many people don't think/feel that way and the BMW 5 Series remains a very popular and highly regarded sports sedan. In the case of the Subie, right now it lacks many features and status as some of the other near-lux sports sedans near it's price range, but some people are buying them b/c it seems to be a good deal; a lot of bang for your buck. It's a matter of preference; a combination of what matters to you most, and how much $$ certain features and/or status are worth to you. That's it.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 08/04/04 08:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-05-2004, 12:00 AM

Sorry didn't want to offend anyone. My point was and is:

1) Drive a head turner that average people cannot afford. Just because I can. That is class and respect.
2) Drive a subaru that is fun and don't have to worry about it parked anywhere, 4W drift in dirt. That is relaxed fun.
3) Drive something that is little bit of both? ...is not both. You will be sensitive to brand bashing (from others), you will avoid dirt and mud. You will not relax on both ends: have to guard the brand nameas well as make sure the car doesn't get dirty.

Sorry I spelled Infiniti wrong. Was not intentional. Guess it was just not yet as familiar a word/brand to spell. Brand bashing ) No.
Sincere-Sincere-Sincere

Old 08-05-2004, 12:47 AM

wow! this is like the thread that will not die~! Quite funny really.

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 08-05-2004, 07:57 AM

I know, we've sent several requests and a PM to the Mods to either move the thread to the "Other Cars" section or lock it completely, but as you can see, no response and it's still here. I thought we were done with this crap.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 08/05/04 05:12 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-05-2004, 09:48 AM

"It gets you nowhere. Getting the "near luxury" is actually worse than not getting it, because everyone now knows you don't have (want to spend) the money for the tops. See what I am saying?"

No - you make little sense - sounds like the person who categorizes everyone into a car claste posing ploy is just thinking too much about it...maybe a tad worried about what someone will infer? Sounds like we know what YOU infer when looking at someones car...i thought like that when i was 9 and can tell you few of the people that matter in my world think about MY car much either. The people who worry about what we drive have no place in our free time - posers are univitied always.

Can you boys go play in edmunds..this is not a university chat on socioeconomics and perceptions of wannabees with inferiority complexes. When you get your vette show us a picture k

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 08-05-2004, 10:00 AM

SixFive - I think you were replying to microscope, not me ;-). I still think this thread should either be moved to the "Other Cars" section or just killed completely! I've already sent a PM to a Mod (although I'm not sure who the correct Mod is for this section), but no reply and no action...who's the Mod of the G35 Sedan Generral section? Maybe you can send a PM to him. Thanks.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 08/05/04 07:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-05-2004, 10:35 AM

Yes -not you bud- i was using you to post!

Try godzilla

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 08-05-2004, 11:32 AM

That's who I sent the PM to and he didn't respond.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter

Old 08-05-2004, 12:04 PM

the debate is over - there is none higher than the G whether you want to impress your little friends with your money or ability to hang on to it....or not at all.

maybe that will end it...

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 08-05-2004, 01:02 PM

Jmcumming,

OMG, where did you get this picture ? I drove this car for a while. It is Russian Lada 05 series. Has whopping 68Hp engine from 197ies Fiat

Now on the topic. People feeling speed in a G and not feeling it in the Subie. I agree that you can definately feel speed in G 40-90mph, and Subie will feel more settled. But take it past 110 and things change dramatically. I stoped feeling any speed past 110mph, just picture chaging really fast. On the testdrive of 05 Leg GT, i wasn't able to take it past 80 but starting at about 70 this feeling of growing concern over my speed started developing.
Probably has something to do with G's longer wheelbase or torque feedback on the steering that you get from Subie.

Unfortunately I will spend 95% of my driving below 85mph so in this case Subie is a better match, but oh boy what G could do on autobahn

My dad who's back in Russia wants me to sell him my sedan in a year or so. If I do it, I'm going through Germany

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 08-05-2004, 04:49 PM

Lets face it, a main purpose of a forum is to debate brand, function, idears on cars. Maybe you should open this forum to those, and only those who agree with you. Maybe you chould close the whole forum and your eyes and put a sign:
"G35 is the Best, the End."
When I said G35 owners are very sensitive to protect their brand name, I was right. It is pity- drivers of the car is in the same class of the car, the G35, the unquestionable best machine.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 PM

edmunds

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)

Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Microscope:

The G35 is the reigning King of The Hill in it's class - hands down, inarguable, as ascertained by the guys who evaluate cars for a living (and, incidentally, worship at the altar of all things BMW) - virtually every car magazine on the planet has said this - how can anyone WHO DOESN'T EVALUATE CARS FOR A LIVING argue this point (and still claim to have a modicum of intelligence) ?. The Subaru, to this point, doesn't get the job done - period, end of statement.

Now, 2005 and beyond may be a different story. The "G"s time is limited at the top - it has climbed there hand over hand in a bloody fight, and will relinquish the title sooner or later - that's a given. Only BMW was able to stay on top for any appreciable period of time, and, I'm sure, there are people in Bavaria working night and day to return the Beemer to it's rightful place (in their minds) at the top. Maybe the next killer car will be a Subie, or a Hyundai, or something not invented yet, but whatever it is, it will be - and no amount of b*llshitting by lovers of other brands will change the facts (not even by "G" fans), only producing a better car will do that!

It's good for all of us, this competition, but when you are confronted with the champion, admit it, and try to take the crown next go 'round, if you have the B*lls. Maybe the '05 Subaru will do that - I'll await the verdicts of the pros' on this, but won't listen to a bunch of guys with "butt dyno's" telling me how much greater their favorite brand is. I've never owned an Infiniti before, nor even a Nissan (and yet, I can spell them!), I just bought the best product for the $ I allocated to spend. Although I do develop a degree of brand loyalty, which means I'll at least TRY an Infiniti before buying my next car, I'll buy whatever is the best deal and performer for the $ I have to spend when the time comes. Hell, I looked at a lots of cars, but decided to buy the "G" and a rental property instead of a Mercedes, and I'm happy with my choices.

I apologize if you are taking any of this personally, microscope, and I think you're above that, to be honest. As regards wealth, the wealthiest people I know are fairly conservative and smart shoppers. I see them in Costco, and even WalMart, snapping up bargains. They didn't get, or keep, their money by being stupid with it.

Also, I'm reminded of what Howard Hughes said in his final lucid years (before he became truly insane), when he was driving a 10 year old Buick with dents and rust, and he was asked "Why the hell are you driving this piece of crap - you're the richest man in the world, and can drive anything you want?", to which he replied "You've said it best already - I'm the richest man in the world - who the hell do I need to impress?"

And there you have it.

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Sedan vs. Leg GT Ltd.