G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ you'll be good since all 4 tires are the same

Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to get a few mods for my G35...it's stock now (ordered a grounding kit to install soon).

I just want relatively cheap mods that I can feel (or hear) the difference with.

I'm assuming the Z-Tube would be a good choice, and I'm currently looking into an intake (here). Also looking at the MD 5/16 spacer and possibly sway bars. However, keep in mind that I can't lower the car at all...because my driveway is sloped upwards a good bit and don't want to scrape.

What other mods would you guys recommend? And any comments on the mods I'm looking to purchase are great too.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
modding isnt cheap =(

Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by chinaxinsanity
modding isnt cheap =(
Unfortunately I just need to know what I should get first.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 PM
For the spacer, I guess I should get the copper...because although I live in Baton Rouge it gets below 55F in the winter...

So should I get an intake or spacer or something else?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by nate911
So should I get an intake or spacer or something else?
Anybody? I'm just looking for something that I will notice a change in everyday driving. Also, does the 5/16 spacer change how the car sounds?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ the intake is just for noise it wont really give you any power, the spacer will give you about 10 horses and yes it gives you a more agressive sound from the motor as well, get both but you'll feel a bigger difference with the spacer

Old 01-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by myGi$Gangsta
^ the intake is just for noise it wont really give you any power, the spacer will give you about 10 horses and yes it gives you a more agressive sound from the motor as well, get both but you'll feel a bigger difference with the spacer
I'm not sure I can get both right now. So I may just go with the spacer and a drop in filter. Or just wait a little longer then get an intake. I'm guessing these are really the only mods I can do for now with my budget right?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Bump.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately I just need to know what I should get first.
The CAI (Intake) is mostly noise in my opinion, but it's good noise. There are gains to be had, but they are minimal. It also dresses up the engine bay a bit and they can be had relatively cheap.

The Z tube will definitely enhance the intake mod.

Strut Tower Bar. You'll absolutely feel a difference taking the odd aggressive corner on your daily commute, but it's not an 'essential' unless you are constantly pushing it to the limit, and if you are you should stiffen the whole car. It would be a bit lower on my list. Partially because it's one less thing to have to remove while you are doing your engine mods.

Ground kit. Can't hurt. I personally think they really show their worth on older cars with poor grounds. Especially true of cold/wet climates like mine. I still consider your car a young pup.

Assuming your car is mechanically running like a top and it doesn't need maintenance items taken care of (which you should always do before modding) then I say make your purchase the MD Spacer/Ztube/Intake/Strut Bar... in that order.

If I had your car I'd be looking to combine the MREV (read up on it) and MD Spacer. Then I'd probably do an exhaust mod. Probably start with a y-pipe first.

Now get modding already!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by MarkhamX
The CAI (Intake) is mostly noise in my opinion, but it's good noise. There are gains to be had, but they are minimal. It also dresses up the engine bay a bit and they can be had relatively cheap.

The Z tube will definitely enhance the intake mod.

Strut Tower Bar. You'll absolutely feel a difference taking the odd aggressive corner on your daily commute, but it's not an 'essential' unless you are constantly pushing it to the limit, and if you are you should stiffen the whole car. It would be a bit lower on my list. Partially because it's one less thing to have to remove while you are doing your engine mods.

Ground kit. Can't hurt. I personally think they really show their worth on older cars with poor grounds. Especially true of cold/wet climates like mine. I still consider your car a young pup.

Assuming your car is mechanically running like a top and it doesn't need maintenance items taken care of (which you should always do before modding) then I say make your purchase the MD Spacer/Ztube/Intake/Strut Bar... in that order.

If I had your car I'd be looking to combine the MREV (read up on it) and MD Spacer. Then I'd probably do an exhaust mod. Probably start with a y-pipe first.

Now get modding already!
Got my grounding kit from Sean here on the forums already, but I haven't installed it yet

I thought the MREV only (noticeably) benefited rev-up engines?

It doesn't seem like the strut bar would do too much for regular driving...but I'll look into it.

Were you referring to a specific Y-pipe (like the HR one) or other ones?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Got my grounding kit from Sean here on the forums already, but I haven't installed it yet

I thought the MREV only (noticeably) benefited rev-up engines?

It doesn't seem like the strut bar would do too much for regular driving...but I'll look into it.

Were you referring to a specific Y-pipe (like the HR one) or other ones?
I assumed yours was revup actually. If not, yeah it's typically either spacer/or MREV, but not both. There are instances where they are combined, but from what I understand the MREV should be used 'without' a spacer on the non-rev up as it may cause the engine to run lean.

I wasn't referring to a specific brand y-pipe. I've just found with other cars I have modded they are about the best bang for the buck. I started modding my 1992 Maxima (VE30DE) back in 1996. I'm not new to modding, but I'm fairly new to the G platform, so I'm still on a learning curve myself for G specific products. Just keep reading the reviews. There's a ton of information on here. Even though I know sometimes you just want to scream "just tell me what's the best" after reading threads for hours.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by MarkhamX
I assumed yours was revup actually. If not, yeah it's typically either spacer/or MREV, but not both. There are instances where they are combined, but from what I understand the MREV should be used 'without' a spacer on the non-rev up as it may cause the engine to run lean.

I wasn't referring to a specific brand y-pipe. I've just found with other cars I have modded they are about the best bang for the buck. I started modding my 1992 Maxima (VE30DE) back in 1996. I'm not new to modding, but I'm fairly new to the G platform, so I'm still on a learning curve myself for G specific products. Just keep reading the reviews. There's a ton of information on here. Even though I know sometimes you just want to scream "just tell me what's the best" after reading threads for hours.
Yeah I'm pretty set on getting the spacer (I think) fairly soon...

The Y Pipe looks like a decent choice.

And yes I have read many many threads...gotta pick something eventually heh.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys im hearing people now say the 05/06 stock sedan mid-pipe is comparable to the coupe middy... Is this tru? Its not a suit-case like the earlier sedan middies?

Is it worth to get a coupe mid-pipe?

Im looking at picking up an 06 Sedan and adding a coupe mid pipe + HR Y

Thanks for the advice, Great thread.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
has anyone tried buddy club pro spec exhaust for the sedan yet? I had that on my rsx for a bit, sounded sick..a bit over the top though...i ultimately went back to greddy sp2 which sounded stockish

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread