G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

front brake pads installed *question*!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blownvert
why would someone do there own oil change if its like $20. why hassle in buying oil what you saving $5? I dont have a jack. my wheel shakes when i press on the brakes at higher speeds with steering wheel vibration. the pads are not on right. is that what is causing that?
why? to avoid fvck ups like u just encountered with your brakes, i'd do my own but car's still under warrenty i gott do them every 1000-1500 km not miles, a 10 minute oil change is garbage since a lot of the dirty oil is left over, when i did my oil changes in my old car i let it drain for 2 hours and it was still dripping, then i would pour a bottle of cheap **** oil to flush most of the dirty oil out, plus u never know if they really change your damn oil filter unless u mark it, that's why

Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by pwebb
you only need a 14, and you only need to take the caliper off.

leave the bracket installed. no need to compress the piston.
Yep, 14mm socket or wrench is the only tool needed if you're simply adjusting the pads. You remove the 14mm slider bolt, flip the caliper up, work on the pads, and reinstall the slider bolt with about 25 ft/lbs.

Working on these cars is not rocket science. About $150 spent on two cheap 14" to 16" jacks, one set of jack stands, 3/8" metric socket set and rachet, a few extensions, an 18" breaker bar, a set of metric wrenches, a set of screw drivers, a flash light, a plastic pan and you can do most all maintanence projects on this car.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by maciejk
why? to avoid fvck ups like u just encountered with your brakes,

Exactly. Has nothing to do with money. It's about making sure the job is done right and up to my standards. It could cost me MORE money to do my oil change myself, but at least i know what oil and filter go into the car, the oil filter is put on tightly (or not too tight), the drain plug is torqued correctly, and the underside body plastic is reinstalled correctly without missing bolts. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever let someone do an oil change on my car.

I did my brakes not too long ago. Took me an hour each side. Job was done once, and done right with anti-seize on the backside of the rotor, and brake caliper grease on the pad contact points. I even went as far as to paint the calipers up and clean everything up. Brakes are easy...and I have peace of mind knowing they were done correctly.

Granted i know everyone doesn't have the mechanical abilility or tools to do some stuff, but for some of the simple stuff it might be worth it to try or learn.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
It's about making sure the job is done right and up to my standards. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever let someone do an oil change on my car.

Granted i know everyone doesn't have the mechanical abilility or tools to do some stuff, but for some of the simple stuff it might be worth it to try or learn.
Totally agree