G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Looking for Valve Cover DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Valve Cover DIY

Can't seem to find it, if it does exist. If anyone would so kindly point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. TIA

Old 07-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There isn't one I've seen yet, which surprises me because all of our cars are going to need this done. The closest you will find is a plenum spacer install, which gets you all the way down to just before removing the valve covers I believe. I'm thinking this one will be good enough to get the job done.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...er_install.htm

Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 AM
try looking in the coupe section, but use the search button, it's very easy for some people, but be aware, its hard, but easy to paint. i havent paint mines yet. but have got it out and changed it myself.
if i can do it, anyone else can! lol

Old 07-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Tangerine
Can't seem to find it, if it does exist. If anyone would so kindly point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. TIA
Are you looking to replace it or paint it? Either way, there's a DIY for painting it that obviously involves removing it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
This may be what you are looking for:

https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy...t-job-diy.html

Old 07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
I am looking to replace them. Not sure if I should just get both or just one

Thanks for all the help, looks like a big job with all the clutter.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Why are you replacing them? Are they leaking? If so, do you know that it's the valve cover causing it? It's not a cheap part, and it's pretty labor intensive to replace.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Why are you replacing them? Are they leaking? If so, do you know that it's the valve cover causing it? It's not a cheap part, and it's pretty labor intensive to replace.
that's why he/she should do it their selves lol, save money!! and its great learning about ur own engine!

Old 08-01-2009, 06:12 AM
When I changed my plugs at 80k there was a drop of oil on the boot for the #6 cylinder (the most likely culprit far as I can tell). Figured I would get to the valve covers eventually and yesterday was the day. I used the plenum spacer DIY video, and also the painted valve cover DIY, both were helpful. The information missing is the stuff you have to do in order to get all the access you need to remove/reinstall the valve covers. IMO there is a lot of that kind of work once you get the upper/lower plenum covers off.

Completely finished the driver side, which I knew was the 'easy' side. Started on the passenger side, but decided to punt. Could not budge the radiator hose that seemingly must be detached to get to the rearmost bottom bolt on the valve cover - and even after getting that loose the access did not look very good for that bolt (it's not great for the other side either -- those two bolts were problematic when I changed the spark plug seals on my wife's Forester .. although the Forester valve covers were CAKE compared to the G).

I may come back to that side later when there is a video DIY with tips for access, and I would even be interested in seeing what people are doing on the driver side that might make it easier. I have to say I was surprised how much work it was, I knew I'd be there for awhile but it was definitely more work than I thought it would be.

Oh, and when I removed the coil pack on the #6 cylinder there was still only a drop of oil on the boot - which was encouraging actually, although I have to say I don't know if I would have done this job right now if I knew it essentially stayed the same since I changed my plugs at 80k (I've got 92k now).

You guys that have done both sides, just curious what you did to get access on the passenger side - just get that radiator hose off, or was there additional things you had to do?

I gotta get me some hose clamp pliers as I am doing enough stuff on cars these days that it would be worth it. Anyone got some recommendations for those? Thanks!

ps My brother owns a Mustang and was doing this job with me. He said he would show me how easy it was to change the valve covers on his car, but he didn't have the heart after seeing what it took on my car. I didn't ask if he could buy spark plug seals separately because I was afraid of that answer too

Well, at least I got my coolant drained/changed and my belts replaced too.

This is a job to carefully mark hoses and bolts -- don't skimp on that if you are doing this job. And take the time to make sure you have reattached/clamped all the hoses you remove .. there are a lot of them. Nothing much hard by itself, just a lot of them.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by 350GT-R
that's why he/she should do it their selves lol, save money!! and its great learning about ur own engine!
Oh, I agree completely, but only if it's necessary. If he's leaking, he should determine where the leak is before doing this much work. He might get new ones installed only to find out they weren't the cause of whatever problem he has.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 AM
When I was changing my spark plugs, I found a good amount of oil on cylinder 1 and 6. I was hoping it would last me until the end of summer so I can finish up my classes and have some downtime for the car but I found out that I lost 1 quart of oil on my last oil change (using GC btw). I am guessing the lost oil was contributed to the valve cover. Anyone have any input on that?

Oh, I agree completely, but only if it's necessary. If he's leaking, he should determine where the leak is before doing this much work. He might get new ones installed only to find out they weren't the cause of whatever problem he has.
Thanks for your concern and anyone that helped.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
This valve cover job is really not that hard. Trust me. Removing the upper and lower plenums are pretty straight forward and easy.

Replacing the valve covers doesn't take that much extra effort, just a little care.

It would be good of you to go through the FSM before you do it.

PM me if you need better instructions or a link to an online FSM.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Are you looking to replace it or paint it? Either way, there's a DIY for painting it that obviously involves removing it.
I painted my valve covers without removing it, I just sprayed away, came out great

Old 08-02-2009, 01:24 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
I painted my valve covers without removing it, I just sprayed away, came out great
Wow, you are brave, I would never try anything like that. Pics?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
I will post pics tonight when I get home from work late tonight candlestick, I painted it black

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for Valve Cover DIY