G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

rookie bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009 | 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
These are the pro photography “secret pics” that you were afraid to release?

I’ve seen many of these bumpers – even ones in stock at the shop… non of them looked like the pics in the close ups… why didn’t he contact Viet to get it taken care of?

Think about it – a guy that has a show car that’s won multiple awards and has been in several magazines (including covers) isn’t going to let a flawed bumper go without correction.

Clearly if this was the norm you wouldn’t be the first one to mention it.
You're unbelievable. I posted to this thread give people a heads up that a Rookie bumper I've seen had lots of flaws and would need a decent amount of work to get it right. You said there was no way a Rookie bumper was as ill-finished as I was claiming. I got flamed, left and right, from you and many of the Socal crowd (as to be expected) for being a liar, unexperienced, troublemaker, etc. I finally post pictures of this Rookie bumper showing all the flaws I had warned people about. I don't talk out of my ***. As always, I've got surpporting info, in this case pictures, to back up my claims. Now you admit this is a Rookie bumper and it does have flaws. No apology from you or anyone else for the flames? No surprise there. I don't work in Viet's shop nor do I know him. My posts were not intended to attack him or his shop so get it out of your head that my intentions were to offend your golf buddy. The fact is not all these Rookie bumpers are in the best of shape and I've posted proof of it.

Old 08-24-2009 | 03:37 PM
i really dont think anyone needed a "heads up" but thanks anyway.

you made it sound like the bumper was a complete p.o.s. but the photos only support that some very standard prep work needs to be done.

now if you'll excuse me I don't want to be late for my golf date...

Old 08-24-2009 | 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by sammy_G
i really dont think anyone needed a "heads up" but thanks anyway.

you made it sound like the bumper was a complete p.o.s. but the photos only support that some very standard prep work needs to be done.
I guess your definition of "standard prep" and most everyone else's is very different. To me, standard prep is scuffing and cleaning the panel for paint and not hitting the panel with filler, reforming edges, and hitting it with various levels of sanding.

I'm pretty sure most people are/were under the assumption that the Rookie bumper will require my definition of standard prep rather than your definition.

My warning to people was that you could expect to pay a decent amount of money to get this thing prepped and painted. It's nothing like buying an unpainted OEM body panel.

Old 08-24-2009 | 05:25 PM
DaveB pwns again on this board.

Old 08-24-2009 | 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
You're unbelievable. I posted to this thread give people a heads up that a Rookie bumper I've seen had lots of flaws and would need a decent amount of work to get it right. You said there was no way a Rookie bumper was as ill-finished as I was claiming. I got flamed, left and right, from you and many of the Socal crowd (as to be expected) for being a liar, unexperienced, troublemaker, etc. I finally post pictures of this Rookie bumper showing all the flaws I had warned people about. I don't talk out of my ***. As always, I've got surpporting info, in this case pictures, to back up my claims. Now you admit this is a Rookie bumper and it does have flaws. No apology from you or anyone else for the flames? No surprise there. I don't work in Viet's shop nor do I know him. My posts were not intended to attack him or his shop so get it out of your head that my intentions were to offend your golf buddy. The fact is not all these Rookie bumpers are in the best of shape and I've posted proof of it.
First of all – initially it read as if you said you had pics of 27 bumpers that were crap… once you made it clear that it was one bumper with 27 pictures all we asked for were photos… I told you there would be no apologies because there are boatloads of these bumpers across the country (and in other countries) that have not reported any issues whatsoever… even within this thread there have been a bunch of users posting positive (and they aren’t all So Cal).

Also, Viet doesn’t have a “shop”… he doesn’t sell bumper for a living… he has resources from all the one off stuff he has done to his FX… he knows the struggles in making a vehicle custom and unique when there is no aftermarket support… the G35 sedan had minimal options (a overly common Nismo or extremely crappy & limited option fg).

Sorry Dave – you getting flamed has nothing to do with me… it has everything to do with you making a general statement that this bumper is no good – so your buddy got a bad bumper, he should have called the seller and get it corrected. When car a manufacturer sells a lemon does that mean the entire line of vehicles is ****? I’m sure Infiniti has sold G35 lemons, why in the world did you buy a car that is obviously poop? Don’t you know there was one that wasn’t right?

Dave, you make crazy statements like: “My self-painted lower sills are ghetto because I painted them myself using the same equipment as the professionals?” That’s like saying just because I put a Paul Reed Smith guitar in your hands you can play like Santana… Then you go on and on about one bumper that has a few flaws (some of which could be shipping damage for all I know) and you act like the whole forum owes you something for posting about one bad bumper.

Many of us use the bumper and are very happy… Tim has been in a magazine with this bumper (and you be seeing other sedans in mag with this bumper)… so cry all you want – people have received quality bumpers and are happily enjoying them (sorry to **** of you parade trying **** on the bumper – that’s the only apology you get).

Last edited by OCG35; 08-24-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 | 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
DaveB pwns again on this board.
- you seem to be the only one in this thread thinking that.

Old 08-24-2009 | 09:26 PM
You seem to be the only one in this tread jerking off to the gaudy front bumper.

Old 08-24-2009 | 09:33 PM
ill Sedan
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
^Not true. Many of use love the styling of this bumper. We are all entitled to our opinions and you've expressed your negative opinion of the bumper a couple times in this thread, please lets move on.

Old 08-25-2009 | 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
You seem to be the only one in this tread jerking off to the gaudy front bumper.
adolescent comment form a stock G - classic…

mmm hmmm, I’m the only one that likes the bumper .

Old 08-25-2009 | 03:13 PM
wow!!! edit wow . Hmm regardless of how I feel personally. I have to say I have seen these bumpers in person on a few cars that have come into the shop I frequent and use all the time...R & J in Carson. They look good for the daily driving most of these guys do to their rides. I have had quite a few bumpers on my coupe and have done quite a lot of damage to them. I have bought from AIT,Klumzee and M1 AIT were decent still had to do some prep work, Klumzee well they were thin and really had to be prepped M1 were decent.
I would have to say if I owned a sedan and purchased this bumper I would have spent less on prep work. Like I said whatever I feel personally, doesn't mean this is a POS bumper. 1 out of many isn't a bad product. One question. Are they still made at Auto explosion or somewhere else (china) ?

Last edited by 2drwild; 08-25-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-25-2009 | 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
adolescent comment form a stock G - classic…

mmm hmmm, I’m the only one that likes the bumper .
Yep, because the only way to be considred mature and rational is to spend $10K+ in modifications on ones' G. Sorry Chief, I didn't get that memo.

Old 08-25-2009 | 04:52 PM
Yep, because the only way to be considred mature and rational is to spend $10K+ in modifications on ones' G. Sorry Chief, I didn't get that memo.
what does the immature comment about jacking off to a bumper have to do with the amount of money spent?

Old 08-25-2009 | 07:02 PM
this is great, subscribed with popcorn!

Old 08-25-2009 | 07:13 PM
I guess your definition of "standard prep" and most everyone else's is very different. To me, standard prep is scuffing and cleaning the panel for paint and not hitting the panel with filler, reforming edges, and hitting it with various levels of sanding.

I'm pretty sure most people are/were under the assumption that the Rookie bumper will require my definition of standard prep rather than your definition.

My warning to people was that you could expect to pay a decent amount of money to get this thing prepped and painted. It's nothing like buying an unpainted OEM body panel.
Very simple man. If you were really dissapointed just sell the Mf bumper. Other people would much appreciated.

Old 08-25-2009 | 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by speeddream
Very simple man. If you were really dissapointed just sell the Mf bumper. Other people would much appreciated.
The truly pathetic part is – it’s not even his bumper… he thinks he’s saving the sedan world by warning of the evil rookie bumper (too many cartoons I guess)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rookie bumper