G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Going from M3 to G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
damn i really wish you were local to me. I love your M3!!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by shmezelk8
So you would suggest I go with 3.9's instead of 4.08's? I have read mixed reviews on gears with supercharger set ups. Some say it is detrimental and some say it helps.
The shop suggested that I let them install an upgraded clutch and flywheel on their own. If you know that the LTFW will hurt lowend tq and ability to launch I might as well tell them not to put the flywheel in and save some $ at the same time. It seems to me that this particular shop suggests this type of set up for all their FI installs (Upgraded clutch + LTFW).
I'd go with the 3.9s because you could source cheaper OEM parts with OEM quality and reliabilty.

If you were going with a turbo, then I'd say pass on the gears because a turbo has a far more robust HP and torque curve. The big wallop in low and midrange torque gained from a turbo serves as the torque multiplier therefore the additional gearing isn't needed. With a Vortech blower, the powerband is linear and rpm dependant. The higher the rpm, the higher the power therefore you want to get into the meat of the power band sooner, therefore you increase the gearing.

IMO, steer clear of lightened flywheels unless you're a road racer. The true point of a lightened flywheel is to improve downshift rev matching. It has nothing to do with improving "performance". Reducing weight from the flyhweel kills stored interia which can cause the car to be far more bog prone when coming off the line. One of this sites most avid drag racers (search Trey.Hutchenson) has the lightened flywheel and has noted slower 60 foots and a more bog prone VQ35 Revup. He's put the thing to the test, often, and I believe he regrets getting the flywheel. I'm uncertain as to why these shops are recommending the lightened flywheels with FI applications unless they think it improves spool time on a turbo. I guess it could help a little, but IMO it's not worth the noise, cost, or low rpm driveability issues. I'd just go with a stronger clutch unless the shop can make a valid argument as to why a lightened flywheel is needed.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
From what I've read....

Boosting the VQ35 is like walking on eg shells. Luckily, the Revup VQ35 is slightly better suited to boost because of the stronger rod bolts, but remember it is still an NA motor with a light assembly designed to rev and not handle boost. The crank is stout, the lowend is stout. The issue is the rods. They're made to rev and are rather weak. For the most reliability, you should consider upgrading the rods and pistons.

For supporting mods, you've got a whole slew of things to choose from. Tuning can be accomplished by one of many systems available. For intake manifold stuff and exhaust, I'd stick with Motordyne (MD). Tony (the owner) is focused on legit numbers, driveability, and sound quality. You'll have numerous options to choose from. MD is also coming out high flow cats and Tony has told me they're nothing like we've seen before. I don't know what that exactly means, but he's sparked enough curiousity for me to suspend a HFC purchase until these are released. Since you want a Vortech blower, I'd upgrade the gears so that you can get into the boost a bit quicker. You'll probably need to upgrade the clutch as well as the stocker is pretty weak. If you want to keep the noise down to sane levels, consider going with the HR Y-pipe (search that term) and getting an 03/04 muffler can (smaller than the 05/06 can). You'll get a nice healthy sound, about 7whp/wtq, and no drone/rasp. A catback will be much louder and is only good for around 10-11whp.

A 05/06 sedan 6MT with a Vortech V3 5lb unit, tuning, 3.9 gears, MREV, some exhaust work, and 15" or 16" DRs should be good for 12.7-13.0@107-109mph.

Welcome to the site.
WTF? From what you've read.... and then you say it like you've done it?? Have you ever gone FI? Also, the HR + CPE MP + HKS/03-04 muffler sucks for power in comparison to the Motordyne y-back alone. XYZ adds even more.

Thanks, that is part of the reason I am looking into making the switch. Any major problems with that many miles on the car?
No real problems. I changed my valve covers (they tend to leak) replaced my radiator, compression rod bushings and thats about it.

It'd not as huge of a difference as many believe. It's "feels" like a huge improvement, but when you look at it on paper, it's not going to make a big difference. Maybe .1 seconds in the 1/4 mile if you're good with the shifter. The gearing of the 6MT is already pretty deep and VQ35 revup doesn't rev nearly as high as the M3's I6 so it's not as dependant on the torque multiplication. With the Vortech, the extra gearing will definitely help though.

I'd steer clear of lightened flywheels because they'll make your tranny sound like a big rig at idle and in the lower rpms. A lightened flywheel will also wreck lowend torque and the car's launching ability.
Have you done this or just read about it too?

The gears may not make a .5 sec 1/4 difference but make the driveability drastically different.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ndndiablo88
damn i really wish you were local to me. I love your M3!!
Are you in the market? If we had a definite deal I would not have a problem dropping the car off to you. I will actually be visiting relatives in MD soon. PM if you are really interested.
Thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
WTF? From what you've read.... and then you say it like you've done it?? Have you ever gone FI? Also, the HR + CPE MP + HKS/03-04 muffler sucks for power in comparison to the Motordyne y-back alone. XYZ adds even more.
Prove me wrong. Post up dynos. You do not need to own something to understand the gains, etc.

Have I ever gone FI? No, but again, I understand power curves and appropiate gear ratios. Do you? I'd venture to say.....no.

The gears may not make a .5 sec 1/4 difference but make the driveability drastically different.
Again, prove me wrong. I've done the math and understand things like torque multiplication and ideal shift point calculations. Additionally, I have tested 3.55s are the strip with my 5AT. From a driveability standpoint, the additional torque multiplication will feel nice to the old butt dyno, but our cars don't come from the factory with poor gearing. This isn't a 96-98 Cobra with tall 3.27 gears which makes decent gains (.3 seconds) when going with 4.1-4.3 gear sets.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I know you will definitly not have the silly problems the E46 Ms have, I have a 06 G coupe in auto I beat the hell out of it and no problems so far, the bmw gave me nothing but problems but damn i wish i could take the reliability of a G and put it onto the skin of the M I would keep the SMG though

Old 09-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Prove me wrong. Post up dynos. You do not need to own something to understand the gains, etc.

Have I ever gone FI? No, but again, I understand power curves and appropiate gear ratios. Do you? I'd venture to say.....no.

Again, prove me wrong. I've done the math and understand things like torque multiplication and ideal shift point calculations. Additionally, I have tested 3.55s are the strip with my 5AT. From a driveability standpoint, the additional torque multiplication will feel nice to the old butt dyno, but our cars don't come from the factory with poor gearing. This isn't a 96-98 Cobra with tall 3.27 gears which makes decent gains (.3 seconds) when going with 4.1-4.3 gear sets.
I've seen guys gears who have shave .2 sec from the 3.5 to the 3.9 and 4.08.

I used to have the HR y-pipe, cpe MP, and HKS muffler. I gained 10 WHP at PEAK with the Motordyne over this exhaust. The area under the curve was better than that.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
or you can go for the 2nd gen G35, now you can find them for less than your budget, i just sold mine for $22k

Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 PM
so i see you live on staten island, i do too, right near the mall, i would love to see your M3 before its gone!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by 95 maxima se
or you can go for the 2nd gen G35, now you can find them for less than your budget, i just sold mine for $22k
This is probably what I'd do too. The HR motors take very well to bolt-ons and this car could bridge the difference between a FI 1st gen and full bolt-on 1st gen. A couple well selected bolt-ons and a set of 26" slicks would put one of these cars in the low 13s.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 AM
First off, let me just say that there is no need to argue. I respect everyone's opinion and take it into consideration but at the end of the day I still do my own homework and research.

Originally Posted by coolieman1220
so i see you live on staten island, i do too, right near the mall, i would love to see your M3 before its gone!
I live closer to the bridge than the mall but you can come by see the car if you'd like. I have no problem giving you a ride either.

Originally Posted by 95 maxima se
This is probably what I'd do too. The HR motors take very well to bolt-ons and this car could bridge the difference between a FI 1st gen and full bolt-on 1st gen. A couple well selected bolt-ons and a set of 26" slicks would put one of these cars in the low 13s.
Yea I am keeping that option somewhat open. The only problems I have with the 2nd Gen are:
1. A bigger loan to finance ~24k vs ~16k
2. I can get a 1st gen and SC it for about the price of a stock 2nd gen. It will be noticeably faster and more fulfilling.
3. Down the road when the car is paid off, I feel like the resale value of the 2nd gen will drop significantly. Not to say the 1st gen won't but I won't take as big of a hit. Plus I might not be looking to get rid of a SC'ed G.

Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I've seen guys gears who have shave .2 sec from the 3.5 to the 3.9 and 4.08.

I used to have the HR y-pipe, cpe MP, and HKS muffler. I gained 10 WHP at PEAK with the Motordyne over this exhaust. The area under the curve was better than that.
You didn't like your previous set up at all? I see quite a few members with that set up and they seem to like it. I guess I'll have to give the MD exhaust a good look and compare the 2. 10rwhp over the other set up is impressive, that means it would make a great deal of hp over stock. How does it sound, do you have a clip? If it's a low, deep sound it might be worth it for me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I live closer to the bridge than the mall but you can come by see the car if you'd like. I have no problem giving you a ride either.
consider it done! when are you free, i'll be there! i'll PM you with my # so we can meet up. oh and which bridge? haha

Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
im within driving distance to SI we should all meet up and give you some ideas on what to do to the G when you get it shmezelk, i havent really done anything performancewise yet except Ztube but you can drive it and get a better feel to the first Gen

Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
As much as I love my G... Don't buy a G35, go buy a Pontiac G8 GT, or at least go test drive one. A used 08 should be well within your budget, I've heard of people getting them new for ~$25K
Consider:
The G35 is a very reliable DD, until you go FI. The G8 is a very reliable DD, that doesn't need to go FI because it has 361HP.
The G8 is also a BEAST. The G35 is nice and nimble, but until you go FI, you're going to be taking a step backward in performance. You also have to consider how much you can really do to the G35 and keep your warranty.
G8s also have more room and ride just as good if not better, especially in the back seats.
Another point to the G8 is that it has an LS engine, so every mechanic is going to know it inside-and-out (the layout on my cousin's 08 is strikingly similar to the 2000 Trans-Am I had)
And if you do go mod happy, you'll get a lot more out of the G8.
It is more thirsty than the G35, but then again, if you go FI crazy and put a 4something rear diff in the G35, it's going to get more thirsty too!
G8 = Crazy V8 Growl, but the G35 can make some really good noise too.
I guess for you the biggest problem is that the G8 is that it's an automatic unless you get the GXP and then you're way out of budget, at least for the next couple of years anyway.
In the end, do what feels right for you. But you really should go test drive a G8 GT for fair comparison.

But if you do buy a G35...... do this: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ddy-twins.html

Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by coolieman1220
consider it done! when are you free, i'll be there! i'll PM you with my # so we can meet up. oh and which bridge? haha
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
im within driving distance to SI we should all meet up and give you some ideas on what to do to the G when you get it shmezelk, i havent really done anything performancewise yet except Ztube but you can drive it and get a better feel to the first Gen
Sounds like a good idea. Omar, I got your PM. We can all meet up sometime this week after work. There is actually a nice spot close to the mall. We can even do a few runs there. I have a g-meter that measures performance and I wouldn't mind letting you guys do some runs with the meter in your cars. We can all PM each other and make this happen, so let me know. BTW, I meant I live closer to the Verrazano bridge.

Originally Posted by nfsp1
As much as I love my G... Don't buy a G35, go buy a Pontiac G8 GT, or at least go test drive one. A used 08 should be well within your budget, I've heard of people getting them new for ~$25K
Consider:
The G35 is a very reliable DD, until you go FI. The G8 is a very reliable DD, that doesn't need to go FI because it has 361HP.
The G8 is also a BEAST. The G35 is nice and nimble, but until you go FI, you're going to be taking a step backward in performance. You also have to consider how much you can really do to the G35 and keep your warranty.
G8s also have more room and ride just as good if not better, especially in the back seats.
Another point to the G8 is that it has an LS engine, so every mechanic is going to know it inside-and-out (the layout on my cousin's 08 is strikingly similar to the 2000 Trans-Am I had)
And if you do go mod happy, you'll get a lot more out of the G8.
It is more thirsty than the G35, but then again, if you go FI crazy and put a 4something rear diff in the G35, it's going to get more thirsty too!
G8 = Crazy V8 Growl, but the G35 can make some really good noise too.
I guess for you the biggest problem is that the G8 is that it's an automatic unless you get the GXP and then you're way out of budget, at least for the next couple of years anyway.
In the end, do what feels right for you. But you really should go test drive a G8 GT for fair comparison.

But if you do buy a G35...... do this: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ddy-twins.html
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually gave a great deal of thought to the g8. I liked that big V8, the exhaust sound and the exterior looks. I didn't test drive it yet but will schedule a test drive sometime soon (along with the 2nd Gen G35, 06 G35 6mt and 335). My main problems with the g8 are:
1. They discontinued the whole Pontiac division completely. The G8 was the last pontiac ever made. That makes me uneasy of owning one looking at the long term (problems getting parts, dealer visits, warranty..etc)
2. The Gt's only come in auto as you mentioned. The GXP's come in stick but are alot more expensive.
3. I am not sold on the reliability, I had a G6 GTP 6mt prior to the M3 and even though there weren't major issues, there was constantly something that needed to be looked at.
4. The performance is there but you basically have the same power as the C55 AMG in a heavier, less refined body, with less comfort features and luxury and worse performance. Only thing is it might be less expensive to maintain/fix(while parts are still available).
I might consider leasing a G8 though. That way when the lease is up I don't have to worry about anything. But I calculated the numbers and leasing ends up costing you more than financing and you are just giving money away every month with nothing in return when your lease is up. Also, you can't really mod the way you want to when you're leasing. I leased the G6 and it was a PITA removing all the mods at the end.
I will give some more serious thought and research into the 2nd Gen G35, 335 and G8 though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going from M3 to G35