G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Going from M3 to G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going from M3 to G35

I am in the process of selling my e46 M3 Convertible with SMG. The M3 is modded to 300rwhp and 4.10 gears. It's a blast to drive but I need to move on. When I sell it I am looking into getting a 2005-2006 G35 sedan 6MT and going FI soon after that. Reason I am selling is because I need a family sedan but I still want something quick and fun to drive, plus I am really looking forward to getting back into a traditional manual transmission. I looked into and test drove the B6 S4, Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, Benz C55 AMG, and even the SRT8 Jeep. The S4 has reliability issues, Subie doesn't have the looks or the initial power even though it would be relatively easy to tune the turbo. The Benz was REALLY nice and just about as fast as my M3 but only comes in auto and might be pretty expensive to maintain. The SRT8 was nice but too big, heavy, and gas guzzling for my taste. That brings me to the G35 sedan. I did my research on the G35 but would like some first hand opinions. My main questions/concerns are:
1. How will the G compare to the M in performance before and after going FI?
2. Are there any specific issues to look into when buying a G35? I know about the oil consumption issue.
3. Is there a good reason to go for the 2006 year model rather than 2005 besides possibly still being under warranty?
4. I will probably end up going with the Vortech V3 kit, upgraded clutch and flywheel, and a tune. Is there anything else I really should look into (i.e. short shift kit, exhaust, intake....)

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to being a part of this community.

P.S. Here is a link to my M3.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=698476

Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
There are not a lot of differences between 05 and 06.

If you go with the Vortech, I'd get headers, Test Pipes or HFC, and a good cat-back exhaust. Depending on the pulley you have with the vortech, some people will use 3.3 gears instead of 3.5 so they hit boost sooner.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Wow, talk about a downgrade. You are going from a M3 to a G35 sedan?

If you have to have 4 doors, why not go for STI or Evo?

The G35 sedan will not have anywhere near the power you do now. Even with vortech, you will be about even as a decently modified M3.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
He's only putting down 300 whp.

what year M3 did you have...what was the weight on that thing?

stock REVUP for the 05-06 is 298 at the crank. Most people with the Vortech are putting down around 400 whp. Of course, there are many other things you can do.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
e46 m3 had the s54 which had about 300-330 i think... with that said i dont think a ~400hp g35 with a true 6speed would be that much of a downgrade.... you might not get as many looks but i think it'd give a "stock" m3 a run for its money

Old 09-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
With the amount of money it will take to make a G35 with a glass forced induced VQ35 go decently fast (mid 12s), I'd seriously reconsider and just go find a used 335i sedan that can go mid 12s for much cheaper and with a motor built for FI. You'll be MUCH happier. Daily driver and FI-ing a naturally aspirated motor rarely leads to a good outcome. Vortech's are historically known for belt issues so you better get use to either knowing how to change out the belts and/or have a really good mechanic available all the time.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
First and foremost, welcome to the site.

Secondly, I owned an 02 M3, are you certain you're putting down 300rwhp with just pulleys and intake? Last I recall, it takes most M3 owners intake, pulleys, headers(since they're split) mid-pipe and rear section exhaust to even get close to that.

I think you'll enjoy a G35, the 6mt version will be a better choice for you as basic bolt ons will resemble the power you had from the M3. My 02 only slowly walked away from an 06 350z 6mt, and both cars were stock.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. To answer some questions: The stock e46 m3 came with 333 hp and about 276 tq. After my mods I dyno'ed at just over 300 rwhp and 236 rwtq. I have a 2002 convertible and it weighs about 3750 lbs. Before my mods my friend with a stock m3 coupe would take me by about a car and a half. After my mods I would consistently take him by a few cars (4.10 gears make a huge difference). The power and handling is truly amazing in the m3 but the lack of space, 2 doors, very expensive maintenance are hard to deal with.
I am not considering an STI or an EVO since I don't need AWD, am not a big fan of their looks, interior, boy racer image, and 4 cyl turbos. I am in no way knocking those cars, I know how easy it is to turn those into monsters. Just not what I am looking for. I gave the 335 some serious thought and test drove it. I did not enjoy that car one bit. It seemed very mild, calm, and boring. The turbo lag was annoying to me as well. There are also people having lots of issues with their engines, fuel pumps, etc... with the 335's. I really love the raw racecar feeling the m3 provides and hope that with the Vortech kit I can achieve something similar with the G.

Originally Posted by Dark_
First and foremost, welcome to the site.

Secondly, I owned an 02 M3, are you certain you're putting down 300rwhp with just pulleys and intake? Last I recall, it takes most M3 owners intake, pulleys, headers(since they're split) mid-pipe and rear section exhaust to even get close to that.

I think you'll enjoy a G35, the 6mt version will be a better choice for you as basic bolt ons will resemble the power you had from the M3. My 02 only slowly walked away from an 06 350z 6mt, and both cars were stock.
Thank you.
Yep, I made 282 rwhp stock on a Mustang Dyno which usually read low. After going through various intakes and software combinations I found the right one. I went with a AFE Stage 1 intake, AFE elbow, Turner Motorsport Pulleys, and a custom tune from a great guy in Boston (drove out there just for the tune). I also had 4.10 gears which made a huge difference. They didn't add any power but changed the way the power made it to the wheels. You end up putting about 13% more torque to the wheels and you stay in the powerband most of the time. With that set-up I was making just over 300rwhp and was very happy. I was even chirping tires shifting into 3rd gear. I always did write ups on the mods I had done and posted dyno sheets as well. If you'd like I can post up one of my latest dyno sheets.
I drove a 350z 6mt stock and loved it. The power was not there as much as in the M3 but the car felt pretty good. With that said I would walk away from the 6mt Z with no problems at all, both from a dig and on the highway.

Thanks for the input guys, please keep it coming. I'd love to hear more opinions.

Last edited by shmezelk8; 09-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Have you considered slightly older used cars? Like a 5 series, CTS-V, E55, RS4 ect? It would help alot if we knew what your budget is?

I am pretty biased against the G35 sedan, I really dislike the way it looks.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
boosted sedan?

yes pls!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with DaveB on going with the 335, I tracked it at their Spartanburg plant and fell in love with that car! Although, I've never tested a STI or Evo. Have you tried out the B7 S4 or 4 door G37?

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny I am just going from a g35 to an m3 lol

Highly suggest taking a look at the 335i sedan man. Those things are pretty dirty and great lookin cars. A simple chip and tune you're pullin away from m3's easily. Take a look at them man. Realiable little buggers

Also, something on the bit more expensive side if you wanna splurge.... rs4. They got the power, awd for all types of weather, 4 doors, and the looks.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Have you considered slightly older used cars? Like a 5 series, CTS-V, E55, RS4 ect? It would help alot if we knew what your budget is?

I am not looking to get into another older used car. I want to try to get a 2006 or newer. I don't want to deal with reliability issues and out of warranty problems. Newer cars usually tend to have less problems. I considered an e39 540 or M5 but there are some problems with m5's not running right if they were not maintained well and the general design seems a bit outdated to me. The CTS-V is a beast but a little too pricey and I've read about people having constant issues with the tranny's. The E55 is a beast as well but has IC leaking issues and is REALLY expensive to maintain/fix. The RS4 is great too but very unreliable and also is extremely expensive to fix. German cars are great under warranty but can be a hassle when the warranty is up. BTW, my budget is anything below $25k.

Originally Posted by Wiseman
I agree with DaveB on going with the 335, I tracked it at their Spartanburg plant and fell in love with that car! Although, I've never tested a STI or Evo. Have you tried out the B7 S4 or 4 door G37?

Welcome to the forum Thanks!
I test drove the 335 extensively (both the sedan and the coupe for comparison) and did not like it. Its too calm and seemed conservative, the turbo lag was very annoying. Even though they can be made very fast with few mods, they have reliability issues with the fuel pump and some of my friends are constantly in the shop with their 335's. The b7 s4 and g37 are both nice but out of my price range

Originally Posted by g35freak86
Funny I am just going from a g35 to an m3 lol

Highly suggest taking a look at the 335i sedan man. Those things are pretty dirty and great lookin cars. A simple chip and tune you're pullin away from m3's easily. Take a look at them man. Realiable little buggers

Also, something on the bit more expensive side if you wanna splurge.... rs4. They got the power, awd for all types of weather, 4 doors, and the looks.
I agree they can be very fast but see my comments above about how I feel about them. As nice as the RS4 is it's just too expensive for me.

Originally Posted by sammy_G
boosted sedan?

yes pls!

Last edited by shmezelk8; 09-07-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Skip the RS4 and find a certified RS6. The 4 has a worthless back seat.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I doubt he cares what you think about the cars looks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going from M3 to G35