Going from M3 to G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
yea so is the Viper lol
Yeah I know. But honestly, have you ridden in one? The ride and intirior is omg horrible. The Viper has some real strong points, but it really doen't deserve the pedistal many put it on.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=tampagsedan;4545556]
Originally Posted by shmezelk8
Legacy 2.5GT Spec B 6MT (Not sure if it's worth the extra $ though)quote]
It is worth the extra $ imo b/c of the power upgrades u are considering. The 2.5lgt has the wrx 5sp tranny which is only good for about 350 to the wheels. My friends lgt makes 320/360 and its at its limits. The spec b has the 6sp sti version and will a lot hold more safely. Ive heard 600+...
But honestly..stick with your other options simpily for the fact that they are all nicer, more refined cars.
I agree. I guess I'll skip the regular LGT and test drive the Spec B. You are right about the refinement and looks of the other cars compared to the Subie. That is why it is toward the bottom of my list. But it doesn't hurt to test drive it though...you never know. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by nfsp1
Yeah I know. But honestly, have you ridden in one? The ride and intirior is omg horrible. The Viper has some real strong points, but it really doen't deserve the pedistal many put it on.
The Viper is tricky. We rented one for my dad on his birthday a few years ago....that V10 is soo powerful. The torque and hp are just phenominal. You give it some gas and you're planted in the seat and gasping for air as you fly by everything on the road. The tail end would fly out from under you if you just look at it the wrong way. You don't even have to be turning, just give it some gas and wala.. you're sideways. Fun to see people's horrified reactions as you're sliding past them. As soon as we would pull over anywhere for a few minutes car enthusiasts and random people would flock to the car to admire and ask questions. You get so much attention and praise. We had the white mamba with red leather interior. I think it was #13 of 151 made or somthing similar to that. With that said, the ride was EXTRA harsh, there was not much room in the cabin, the controls and ***** were prehistoric.
So I can see both sides of the argument for the Viper.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I test drove an 05 g35 6mt sedan today. I thought it was pretty good in terms of perormance and luxury. The shifter had quite a bit of vibration though. I wonder if all of the 05/06 6speeds have that issue. I know the 03 350z 6speed I drove before vibrated like crazy.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:39 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I test drove an 05 g35 6mt sedan today. I thought it was pretty good in terms of perormance and luxury. The shifter had quite a bit of vibration though. I wonder if all of the 05/06 6speeds have that issue. I know the 03 350z 6speed I drove before vibrated like crazy.
Yeah, it's a common problem. It was one of the big turnoffs when I test drove a few 6MT Gs. That and the fact that the 6MT has less than stellar reliability regarding the syncros, has a pretty noisy flywheel, and the clutch is pretty dang weak if you launch hard. If I got a G 6MT and drove it like my prior Maxima 5MT, I would have gone thru numerous trannies and clutches by now. I really really tried to convince myself to get the 6MT, but I couldn't look past the vibration and notchiness of the shifter. My Maxima had similiar vibrations (not as bad though) and it really annoyed me after 6 years of ownership.

Nissan really needs to source a different company to make the 6MT. The same tranny used in the G/Z is used in the current gen CTS 6MT and that too has gotten lots of complaints regarding shifter vibration from both the mags and owners.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 AM
Yea, I wonder if the 07-08 6mts have those tranny issues. I don't think it's strong enough of a problem for me to not pick up a 6sp especially since I will be upgrading the clutch and most likely the Flywheel too. So I think it's mostly going to be a vibration issue. I will test drive a few 06's and 07's and see how bad they vibrate. Auto is just not an option for me at this point. I have really been looking forward to getting back into a manual. The only way I would get an Auto would be if the car only comes in auto (c55, srt8, g8) but even then I think I would constantly have it linger in the back of my head that I could've picked up a stick shift and I will regret not getting it again. Plus I liked pretty much everything else about the G. The high rev redline was pretty good, the interior was pretty good, it was roomy and comfortable, acceleration was ok.(I wish I didn't drive there in my car, then I wouldn't have that fresh M3 feel to compare to when I tested the G.)

-BTW I read somewhere that the CTS-V tranny does not allow you to shift from 1-2 or 1-3 if you are driving in a calm/slow manner. It locks 2nd and 3rd gears out and forces you to shift from 1st to 4th if you are not driving aggressively enough. I think that is supposed to help with fuel economy or something.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:48 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
IDK if the CTS does, but my Trans-Am did and some Vettes do. It's very annoying because when you rev very lightly and then go for 2nd and end up in 4th it almost chokes. It's a very stupid design and can be removed, but there are a set of conditions the computer goes through before locking 2nd and 3rd, RPM, TPS, etc... If you drive it just right (or maybe just wrong???) you can keep it from locking them out. You can also unplug the solenoid and put in a resistor to disable it.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
IDK if the CTS does, but my Trans-Am did and some Vettes do. It's very annoying because when you rev very lightly and then go for 2nd and end up in 4th it almost chokes. It's a very stupid design and can be removed, but there are a set of conditions the computer goes through before locking 2nd and 3rd, RPM, TPS, etc... If you drive it just right (or maybe just wrong???) you can keep it from locking them out. You can also unplug the solenoid and put in a resistor to disable it.
I knew the CTS got it from some of the vettes but didn't know about the TA having it as well. Yea I'm sure there are ways to get around it but it would probably be a PITA too. Either way I'm not really considering the CTS as an option so it's not a big deal.
Now I just need to drive the 06 and 07 G to compare to the 05, throw the Subie Spec B in the mix and start trying to make my decision. I wish I could test drive a G with the Vortech kit on it to see how I would like it.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:10 AM
This is a great thread. I am sort of shopping for a sedan as well. My wife had 2004 G35x until we had a baby. Then we sold it for a Volvo Station Wagon for her to cart all of the baby gear, and he has a ton of it. BTW, I found my wife a 2004 Volvo V70 "R"(turbocharged 300 hp/AWD/Adjustable suspension) sport wagon

The G35x that we had was a great car. She still misses it. It drove great, with decent power. Did well in the snow and was extremely reliable. It NEVER went in to the shop during the 4.5 years that we owned it. I just changed the oil and did the brakes once.

That's why I am lurking around this board, I'm serioulsy thinking of buying another g35 sedan to be my daily driver/baby mobile.

You really can't go wrong with the G35 Sedan. It's a great car for the money.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jpandes
This is a great thread. I am sort of shopping for a sedan as well. My wife had 2004 G35x until we had a baby. Then we sold it for a Volvo Station Wagon for her to cart all of the baby gear, and he has a ton of it. BTW, I found my wife a 2004 Volvo V70 "R"(turbocharged 300 hp/AWD/Adjustable suspension) sport wagon

The G35x that we had was a great car. She still misses it. It drove great, with decent power. Did well in the snow and was extremely reliable. It NEVER went in to the shop during the 4.5 years that we owned it. I just changed the oil and did the brakes once.

That's why I am lurking around this board, I'm serioulsy thinking of buying another g35 sedan to be my daily driver/baby mobile.

You really can't go wrong with the G35 Sedan. It's a great car for the money.
Thanks for the input. Any problems with the Volvo?
Btw, nice numbers on your Z06!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the input. Any problems with the Volvo?
Btw, nice numbers on your Z06!
We had a CEL and had to have the dealer fix a Fuel Pressure Sensor under warranty. There are some known issues with the "R" models(i.e: Angle Gear(AWD)), that's why we shelled out $3000 for an aftermarket warranty to 100k miles.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Oh, ok. Seems like a good idea to get the warranty for those cars, especially the "R" trim. I probably won't be getting an aftermarket warranty for the G35 though unless it already has one. Especially if I decide to go FI.
BTW, its hard to find a low mileage Rev-up G35 sedan with Navi + Premium Package.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
ive been reading through all of the replies you've gotten on this thread about the g sedan. flat out these are great cars.i own an 04 sedan and a good buddy of mine owns an 05 , both are 6 spd manuals. the ratio of what you pay to what you get is awesome, a sedan is cheaper than a coupe, has more room and is actually a smidge lighter. ive raced numerous cars in my g including a smg m3. i live in san diego ca and if you are familiar with the area there are A LOT of people who want to race. i am VERY hard on my car and have had 0 issues with reliability.i chirp 3rd evertytime i try and beat nimerous stis and evos with basic mods and small tunes. great bang for your buck. if you get a rev-up make sure to get the mrev2 and 5/16 spacer.this made a HUUUGE difference in the way my buddies 05 pulled through the power band. completely woke it up from 5500 up. good luck!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by 04-6speed-sedan
ive been reading through all of the replies you've gotten on this thread about the g sedan. flat out these are great cars.i own an 04 sedan and a good buddy of mine owns an 05 , both are 6 spd manuals. the ratio of what you pay to what you get is awesome, a sedan is cheaper than a coupe, has more room and is actually a smidge lighter. ive raced numerous cars in my g including a smg m3. i live in san diego ca and if you are familiar with the area there are A LOT of people who want to race. i am VERY hard on my car and have had 0 issues with reliability.i chirp 3rd evertytime i try and beat nimerous stis and evos with basic mods and small tunes. great bang for your buck. if you get a rev-up make sure to get the mrev2 and 5/16 spacer.this made a HUUUGE difference in the way my buddies 05 pulled through the power band. completely woke it up from 5500 up. good luck!
Thanks. That's great to hear. If I end up getting a 05/06 I will be going FI shortly after so as far as mods go I pretty much have it figured out. I just need to find a new owner for my M3 first.