G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Going from M3 to G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:46 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about parts. Even though it's discontinued, the powertrain isn't and there are rumors of it continuing life as a Chevy.
You are right about the C55 AMG, but then again, it's not German. And as you've found out... well at least they go like crazy while they're going.
Don't compare it to a G6, they may be only two numbers apart, but the Aussie built G8 is quite literally hemispheres apart.
I know it sounds like I'm a fanboy, and maybe I am, but my cousin was a strong Nissan/Infiniti fan and he was shopping Maximas, G35s and M35s, I mentioned he may want to test drive a G8, and the next thing I know he bought it and has never looked back.
One point of advice I can pas along from him is that dealers are hurting. He went in and very seriously told the dealer what he was shopping, that he was going to buy in the next few weeks, etc... and the Nissan dealer gave him a loaded Maxima to test drive for the entire weekend. Either the very next weekend or the one after, the Pontiac dealer gave him a G8 GT for 4 days over the weekend! It really gave him a chance to evaluate the car and what he was really looking for more than a 10 minute test drive with a salesman in the passenger seat.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's great salemanship, I'm guessing that's down there in Florida? I would love to get that kind of treatment up here in NY. I have never heard of any dealerships letting people take a car for a weekend to test it out, that would be great! When I will start going to the dealerships ready to buy I will definitely ask to have the car for a few days but I can't see it happening realistically.
The only comparison I made between the g6 and g8 is that they are both American cars and I had a few reliability quirks with the g6. Besides that there really isn't much else in common between the 2.
Has your cousin done anything to the g8 performance wise? How has it been in terms of reliability?
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
With regards to the G8 GT, look at it as a 550i BMW. It's heavy and roomy, but it's quick and handles pretty dang good for a 3,900lb car. Here in Kansas City, we have a shop called House of Boost which is quite well known across the US. They have a twin turbo G8 GT in the stable. It looks bonestock on the outside, except when it running drag wheels. It's running sealed (ie no oil lines) variable vane turbos. It's currently the worlds quickest and fastest G8. I've personally seen it go 12.4s@114mph when they were first tuning and that was with a 50% throttle launch and 7psi. On drag tires, the car is now running 11.0@129mph (14 psi, 635whp). Stock tranny, stock engine, stock TC, stock gearing.

http://www.houseofboost.com/features/fastest_g8.html

I've also seen another local G8 GT in white, badges removed, chrome blacked out, blacked out exhaust, and anthracite wheels with a slight stagger in the back. The car looks killer. Add a cam and longtube headers and it's a lower 13 second car.

Even though Pontiac will gone at the end of the year, parts and servicing the vehicles won't be an issue. There's also a strong chance that the G8 will live on as the Impala and Impala SS in late 2010. I think they're great car for the money. The downside is the auto is a bit unresponsive and it's a realtively large and heavy car. It's definitely a stronger platform though if you want to add significant power. The VQ35DE/Revup on the otherhand is pretty weak.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:00 PM
? = 2B || !2B

I'm guessing that's down there in Florida?
Louisiana, they're nice there. You could probably coax them into letting you have it overnight in FL though.
If you shop used they're not nearly as strict with them.

I've also seen another local G8 GT in white......
I think they are the first Pontiac... no the first GM sedan at all to look good in White. It really shows off it's lines, the contrast of the trim, and those front fender arches. Every other GM sedan just looks like a state vehicle in white!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Yea, I can see the 550 comparison. That sounds like they got a beast of a g8 on their hands over at House of Boost. I really want to get back into a manual though. I will still give all these options a good test drive and see. After reading up on it a bit, the 2nd gen G isn't looking all that bad. It looks like its gonna be 06 G35 6mt, 07/08 G35 6mt, 335 6mt, and G8 GT. It is most likely going to come down to either older G + SC or Newer G + bolt ons.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Sorry dude, I forgot to answer your questions about my cousin's. All he's done as far as upgrades go is an intake and filter, and that was mostly just for sound (it does sound really good though)
Reliability has been 100% spot on, no trouble at all, except for a moron who t-boned it while his wife was driving. But it did more damage to the other car than the G8.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
Sorry dude, I forgot to answer your questions about my cousin's. All he's done as far as upgrades go is an intake and filter, and that was mostly just for sound (it does sound really good though)
Reliability has been 100% spot on, no trouble at all, except for a moron who t-boned it while his wife was driving. But it did more damage to the other car than the G8.
Hahah. That's pretty funny. I really want to run against a G8 while I still have my M for comparison. Glad to hear about the reliability, hope it stays that way.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude I think i saw your car on the island.

Anyway, Im going to recomend the Legacy GT. You are going to spend at least 5g from what i think it would cost for you to FI the G sedan, for that money you can get a bigger turbo, FMIC, Injectors and even a STi engine parts and put down 400-500awhp with a LGT, and still have a car that is comfertable and with a engine that is designed to handle FI, with AWD to put that power to the ground.

And with some exterior mods, it will look aggressive too. Good luck!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72021

Last edited by dineth00i30; 09-10-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by dineth00i30
Dude I think i saw your car on the island.

Anyway, Im going to recomend the Legacy GT. You are going to spend at least 5g from what i think it would cost for you to FI the G sedan, for that money you can get a bigger turbo, FMIC, Injectors and even a STi engine parts and put down 400-500awhp with a LGT, and still have a car that is comfertable and with a engine that is designed to handle FI, with AWD to put that power to the ground.

And with some exterior mods, it will look aggressive too. Good luck!

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72021
Oh yea, it's very possible you saw me, I am always somewhere!
As far as the Legacy is concerned....
I test drove one back when I didn't have my M yet and it was....ok (granted it was AT and not MT). The turbo lag was pretty annoying. It's only a 2.5 liter and one turbo, that combo creates for some serious lag. With that said, I still liked it enough to do a good amount of research on it. I found that people make some good power with those cars after putting around 5k into them. I am sure that when they put down 400 awhp the lag is less noticeable though. I would definitely need to invest some $ in the looks department, stock they look pretty bland and boring IMHO. I guess it would not hurt to add it to the list again and test drive one on stick. Thanks for the suggestion!
My updated "Need to Test Drive" list: (In order of importance)
2007 G35 6MT sedan
2006 G35 6MT sedan
2007 335i 6MT sedan
2009 G8 GT 6AT
2006 Legacy 2.5GT 5MT
2008 Legacy 2.5GT Spec B 6MT (Not sure if it's worth the extra $ though)

Am I missing anything?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
how about the charger srt8 or rt

Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 AM
? = 2B || !2B

But it's a Dodge

Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go with a sedan and boost it.... if you want it done right, take it to a reputible shop and get the SC/TT installed and tuned.... can't go wrong. I havn't seen too many sedans on boost.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
But it's a Dodge
yea so is the Viper lol

Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by blkonblkGsedan
how about the charger srt8 or rt
But it's a Dodge
That's kind of how I feel about it. It's similar to the G8. It definitely has nice power and torque but it's a) Auto b) American quality, not very refined. 6 liter V8 and 6.1 liter V8, the gas mileage would be horrible, especially after some modding. Not to say I am too crazy about MPG but single digits MPG would get annoying quick. Those cars are beasts though. The SRT8's are very strong. I remember running one with the M and we were neck and neck.

Originally Posted by seung012
Go with a sedan and boost it.... if you want it done right, take it to a reputible shop and get the SC/TT installed and tuned.... can't go wrong. I havn't seen too many sedans on boost.
Yea, that is definitely a possibility. But lately I have been intrigued by the 2nd Gen G35. New body, updated engine (HR), dual exhausts, newer technology, longer warranty, (5.1 0-60, 13.7 1/4 mile bone stock, C&D long term test), somewhat inexpensive maintenance...etc. MAYBE I can even boost down the line at some point. But even with bolt ons it should hold it's own for a while.
Hopefully if the weather permits I plan to test drive a few cars on my list this weekend. If I do, I will report back to you guys and let you know how it went.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=shmezelk8;4544809]Legacy 2.5GT Spec B 6MT (Not sure if it's worth the extra $ though)quote]
It is worth the extra $ imo b/c of the power upgrades u are considering. The 2.5lgt has the wrx 5sp tranny which is only good for about 350 to the wheels. My friends lgt makes 320/360 and its at its limits. The spec b has the 6sp sti version and will a lot hold more safely. Ive heard 600+...
But honestly..stick with your other options simpily for the fact that they are all nicer, more refined cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going from M3 to G35