G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

eBay Blackout headlights?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ you are right nfsp that's exactly what my neighboor said ( the one that installed them) this really sucks. The passenger side one is barely fogging up in the corner but the driver's side is fogging up all over the place. I was blowdrying it again and i could see the fog coming back basically right away. My question is why didn't it fog up the first 2 days i had them installed? the weather was just as cold outside. And also if i get them resealed with silicone do you definitely think the condensation won't come back? i'm gonna get an estimate tomorrow at Light Werkz to get them resealed but i should prepare to bend over cuz it won't be less than 150 probably

Old 12-07-2009, 12:23 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^When you used the blowdryer, did you take out the bulbs and dry the inside of the light or just heat up the lens?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by nfsp1
^When you used the blowdryer, did you take out the bulbs and dry the inside of the light or just heat up the lens?
just heated the lens. I think that made it worse. When i blowdried the lens early today it was completely gone. an Hour later i walk out to my car and the left headlight is full of fog. But now it comes back right away, i finish blowdrying one part and start on the next one and i can see it coming right back. I dont wanna pay a shop over 100 to reseal my headlights with silicone if i'm gonna keep having issues, or should i swap the lenses and the bezels into my oem headlights i don't know what to do this suckss

Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 AM
? = 2B || !2B

It's been wet up there hasn't it? It may just be damp air trapped in the lens, or a bad seal on one of the bulbs. Heating the outside of the lens isn't going to do anything to address moisture inside the headlight.

I say just live with it until one of those really dry days. Take the headlights out, take the bulbs out of the lights, run the blow-dryer through the holes where the bulbs go in to make sure any moisture is dried out of the inside of the lens. While you're there, inspect where the bulb goes in. I haven’t taken them apart on the G, but on a lot of cars there is some kind of gasket around the base of the bulb socket, make sure it is intact. Put everything back together, and see if it fogs up again. THEN you can address it. Just trying to save you from spending money you don't have to when the problem isn't even fully identified.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 AM
i don't know what to do lol. theres a problem for sure otherwise this wouldn't of happened in the first place. It started when it rained/snowed on saturday but it looks disgusting like it has a disease or something lol fml. Im strongly considering swaping everything to my oem headlights and seal them good

Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Does the weather up there look like it's going to clear up and dry out anytime soon?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea the non-prefect fitment has nothing to do with it.. the seal just isnt good enough around your lights for some reason.. get some silicone in there all around and make sure all the openings in the back for the bulbs are air tight too and youll be good. sorry to hear your having trouble, good luck dude

Old 12-07-2009, 02:52 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^ Exactly right. Just make sure that there is no moisture trapped inside the lens when you seal it, or it will always fog up.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^woord. and yea if your gunna open them anyway, why not try and put them onto your oem backs? (do you have oem hids on them? cuz then you defintely should try ..and then help me do mine if your successful hahah ... anyone whos done that want to help us for a little $$??)

Old 12-07-2009, 02:57 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^ I can't remember for sure, but I think G35Papa used to do them for $... maybe not Chris?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
the only problem is that i refuse to take off my own bumper and open my own headlights. And is gonna cost me big money to pay somebody to do that. The weather is not gonna clear up anytime soon. Winter has just begun. The left headlight fogs up just like the windshield when is cold and u put the defroster on. I'm considering at this point just tinting the lights with lamin x to hide the condensation. I dont think the condensation will come in the summer, spring and fall but it probably will when it rains regardless if is cold or not.

This is what the seller said..
Dustin, thanks for contact us. Please try the following first because sometimes moisture will build up on new lights if you are install them under room temperature or high humidity area. Some cold air may remain inside when install and once the engine running, the engine heat will cause those air to mositure. To fix it, first remove the low beam or hi beam bulbs and leave the bulbs hole open, then run the engine (with the hood close) for 10-15 minute or until the mositure was gone. Then put the bulbs back. Check all the cover is secure. Then try to use a few days and see if it still the same. If it is still have problem, email us back to process exchange.

Thanks
Sam
Sabersport.

And i answered then how come i only got it on one light? i installed them under the same conditions

Last edited by NjMatteSedan; 12-07-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
You know there is a DIY on how to drop your bumper? You don't have to fully remove your bumper to get the headlights out. Just drop it forward...and it's only 4 screws and some clips to get it off.

Yeah, I do them for $ but I typically point people over to the DIY I wrote up first cause, it's not that hard to do, just sounds intimidating.

https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...eadlights.html

There are no seals on the bulbs themselves. The seals are all on the turn caps (I don't know what they are called exactly) for the HID/halogen bulb and fog bulb. The clearance bulb also has a rubber o-ring seal on the base as well.

Buy this (also sold as window sealer "rubber butyl" at Kragen, Pep Boys...)
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=5577&rsku=0
This will seal up those ebay lights and you will be rid of the condensation. Everyone else that said it's the headlight themselves is correct. Has zero to do with the fender or bumper gap.

I'm not sure why you opened up the ebay headlights to begin with....didn't those come blacked out already? I say read my DIY, mod your OEMs then kick yourself after you see how easy it was lol

You get what you pay for. Sorry guys but unless its a name brand, chances are it's crap from ebay.

Good luck

Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
^ thanks for the help Papa. I did't open the ebay headlights at all thats why im so pissed lol. I had already modded my oems but the lenses were shot, which is why i bought this

Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
^ah....gotcha. That's why I originally purchased a set of ebay lights to begin with myself. Yeah man, just drop the bumper and reseal those bad boys. You'll be fine after that.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by G35papa
^ah....gotcha. That's why I originally purchased a set of ebay lights to begin with myself. Yeah man, just drop the bumper and reseal those bad boys. You'll be fine after that.
Ok so I have to bake em open and seal it up with sillicone and it shouldn't come back at all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: eBay Blackout headlights?