G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

vsc light and slip light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vsc light and slip light

Hey I have an 08 G35X. Whenever i accelerate a lil harder the emergency brake indication light will come on along with the VSC and SLIP light. The BRAKE light goes off after a few seconds, but the VSC and SLIP remain on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like what happens when your brake fluid gets too low in the brake fluid reservoir

Old 03-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^^+1 on the low brake fluid

Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 PM
So I guess I should just change the brakes then huh?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:49 PM
no! Just pop the hood, find the brake fluid tank, add some brake fluid.. like an ounce probably. You can get it at autozone or whereever

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
That simple. Thank you!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM
search ftw

Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Usually low fluid is a signal that your pads are wearing thinner....so at least give them a quick inspection and see if there is enough material

Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
^ what that guy said. If you keep adding fluid to the reservoir and not looking at the brake pads, eventually you run out of pads and find out the hard way. The light is designed to come on when the pads are too low to safely use them. Then when you replace the pads you have to siphon out brake fluid from the reservoir because you kept filling it up and not dealing with the initial problem. Check your pads.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:00 AM
wtf.. you dont siphon brake fluid out of the reservoir ever! You bleed the brakes using the bleeder valve on each caliper.. and even then on these cars you dont have to per the fsm, unless of course you are in danger of having the reservoir overflow when you push the piston back in.

edit: Also, I ran my pads quite low and the light doesn't come on because of that, its only because the fluid is low

Old 03-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by geew1z
wtf.. you dont siphon brake fluid out of the reservoir ever!

Of course you could.

You have to when you keep topping off your brake fluid without checking the pad level. Then when it comes time for brakes, and you press the pistons back into the bores, the brake fluid level in the reseviour rises and if it goes too much, you spray brake fluid all over your engine bay...which will remove the paint.

The other guy was suggesting NOT to just blindly keep topping off your brake fluid. Brake fluid does not evaporate. It's gotta go somewhere. If there is no leak in the system, chances are strong either your front or rear pads are near the point where the backing plates will start ruining the rotors. The brake light doesn't always come on when the pads are low...but if it does come on, and the fluid level is low...well then it's a strong indication that you may need a brake job shortly.

And yes, i've had to siphon out brake fluid before with a syringe because someone topped the brake fluid all the way to the top when the light came on and all 4 brakes needed to be done. Was just too much fluid in the reseviour for when i pressed the pistons back into the calipers.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by geew1z
wtf.. you don't siphon brake fluid out of the reservoir ever! You bleed the brakes using the bleeder valve on each caliper.. and even then on these cars you don't have to per the fsm, unless of course you are in danger of having the reservoir overflow when you push the piston back in.

edit: Also, I ran my pads quite low and the light doesn't come on because of that, its only because the fluid is low
Sell your car. You need to ride the bus.

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Of course you could.

You have to when you keep topping off your brake fluid without checking the pad level. Then when it comes time for brakes, and you press the pistons back into the bores, the brake fluid level in the reservoir rises and if it goes too much, you spray brake fluid all over your engine bay...which will remove the paint.

The other guy was suggesting NOT to just blindly keep topping off your brake fluid. Brake fluid does not evaporate. It's gotta go somewhere. If there is no leak in the system, chances are strong either your front or rear pads are near the point where the backing plates will start ruining the rotors. The brake light doesn't always come on when the pads are low...but if it does come on, and the fluid level is low...well then it's a strong indication that you may need a brake job shortly.

And yes, I've had to siphon out brake fluid before with a syringe because someone topped the brake fluid all the way to the top when the light came on and all 4 brakes needed to be done. Was just too much fluid in the reservoir for when i pressed the pistons back into the calipers.
Dude, you read my mind! Exactly what I was getting at. Engineers set up the reservoir to hold enough fluid (on most vehicles) to trigger the light when the pads reach a point requiring replacement. My light wasn't on when mine required replacement. Of course it was only the rears requiring replacement and I'm not the original owner, so who's to say it wasn't topped off at the dealership during dress-up for sale. I had to take a little out of the reservoir to allow room for my pistons to get pushed back in. Like you said, the fluid doesn't evaporate. If it's low, there's only a couple reasons - 1: pads are worn or 2: you have a leak somewhere.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by GAU-8
Engineers set up the reservoir to hold enough fluid (on most vehicles) to trigger the light when the pads reach a point requiring replacement.
Yup. I'm aware of this so i usually try to give the car a brake job F&R at the same time, bleed the brakes and then adjust the level so that the reseviour is not topped off. That way as the pads wear, the brake fluid level drops and if the pads wear far enough, the low fluid light should come on.

My entire point...just give the pads a quick visual to see if there is enough meat on them before topping off

Old 02-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm having a similar problem. When I start my car in cold weather after driving for about a minute the VSC, Slip, and E-Brake lights all come on. Once the car heats up if I kill the engine and restart it they are gone.

Makes sense that's the brakes/fluid, since the fluid would be more dense when its cold thus taking up less volume.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
^I'm not an expert on the chemistry of brake fluid, but I'd be willing to guess it wouldn't expand or contract very much. You're probably right at the point for the sensor to trigger the lights, and you should probably take a look at your fluid level and brake pads to be safe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vsc light and slip light