G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Broken Drivers Seat Frame

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANK YOU!!!! im going to pull my seat out and weld it up in the next few weeks!!! I Will post pics of the repair if i do infact have the same issue. How much will your seat rock? mine will rock about 1/4'' or so nothing to bad but enough to bother me.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Edit forgot to quote VVV

Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by SkyWay
I had the same exact thing happen to my 04 drivers seat. I took the seat out and welded the bracket and have never had a problem since.

Did you weld the plate, & replace the bolt into the support arm? Im thinking I might welt the support arm to the brace as well insted of using the bolt.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Repair complete

I decided to do the repair without welding to avoid stripping the seat down to the frame. I purchased some brackets and and angle iron from Home Depot, but ended up using just one bracket as pictured below.

Name:  CIMG1480.jpg
Views: 1852
Size:  216.1 KB

Then I cut and drilled the bracket to fit behind the existing bracket.

Name:  CIMG1489.jpg
Views: 1725
Size:  225.7 KB

Name:  CIMG1490.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  254.3 KB

Here is the side view after install

Name:  CIMG1491.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  210.0 KB

Close up the repair

Name:  CIMG1493.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  212.2 KB

I also took some bar stock and positioned it in between the bracket as seen from this front angle view.

Name:  CIMG1497.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  172.6 KB

Here is the backside view from the front

Name:  CIMG1495.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  100.2 KB

The total repair took about 4 hours including all fabrication time, running up and down the basement stairs for tools, clean-up and re-installation of the seat.

By bolting the brackets together and to the bottom frame, there is redundant support and all stress is spread out. It feels solid.

It may not look like a thing of beauty, but no one will see it unless they pull the seat out.

Money saved: $1190 from dealer quote to replace the seat.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Awesome, nice job!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:34 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
That works!

I was going to say, you could always get coupe seats for less than $1200... but a $10 fix is a good deal!

I always appreciate threads like this where people share a inexpensive, DIY fix to a common problem that the dealer charges an arm, two legs and a firstborn child for

Kudos OP

Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by C63someday
THANK YOU!!!! im going to pull my seat out and weld it up in the next few weeks!!! I Will post pics of the repair if i do infact have the same issue. How much will your seat rock? mine will rock about 1/4'' or so nothing to bad but enough to bother me.
Mine was rocking about an inch or so at the top. Felt like more...but there should be zero, any movement feels weird and uncomfortable.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:19 PM
A more thing...

I had to reset the air bag warning because removing the seat tripped it.

I found this tip that worked perfect and was quick:

As per SFLG35

"To reset the light simply turn the ignition to the on position, (you don't need to start it). All the lights should stay on for their diagnostic check. As soon as the airbag light goes off, before it starts flashing, immediately turn the car off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times (turning to on, then off) and the light should go away"

Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 PM
This is a known problem with the Drivers seat and is outlined in one of their TSBs. You can find it under: Service Bulletin Num : ITB02080 Date of Bulletin: ?
Type: Coupe and Sedan
Component: DRIVER SEAT
Summary: DRIVER SEAT ROCKS
IF YOU CONFIRM: The driver seat cushion feels loose; • "Rocks" back and forth and/or makes a "pop" / "click" noise. • Usually when the vehicle accelerates from a stop or when making a turn.
Action: Replace the front Seat Lifter Link Bracket Assembly with a new one-P/N 87463-AM501.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by hjohl
This is a known problem with the Drivers seat and is outlined in one of their TSBs. You can find it under: Service Bulletin Num : ITB02080 Date of Bulletin: ?
Type: Coupe and Sedan
Component: DRIVER SEAT
Summary: DRIVER SEAT ROCKS
IF YOU CONFIRM: The driver seat cushion feels loose; • "Rocks" back and forth and/or makes a "pop" / "click" noise. • Usually when the vehicle accelerates from a stop or when making a turn.
Action: Replace the front Seat Lifter Link Bracket Assembly with a new one-P/N 87463-AM501.
Thanks for the info...how do I use it? Is this some type of silent recall or just advisory? Because my Link Bracket came apart from a loose screw...the frame then broke. I've got 133K so the dealer only wants to stick it to me so I go buy a new car, or they make a bunch of cash if I go for the $1200 seat. Well, neither happened because both don't fit my current budget and decided to do a DIY fix.

Last edited by ActionAl; 05-11-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
This is horrible. Mine started rocking a little at about 39,000 miles. The dealer told me it was a known problem and how much it would cost to fix. Lately it has gotten looser and when I lean back the seat moves far. I'm worried that it will fall over one of these times and I'll end up in the back seat of a running car! It just dawned on me that in a collision that seat could easily break loose and end up who knows where. This seems extremely dangerous and could expose Infiniti to a lot of law suits if anybody gets hurt from a broken seat. My dealer never said anything about it being unsafe and let me leave with the seat loose. This is clearly a manufacturing defect and a safety hazard. I can't believe they wouldn't fix it regardless of warranty period, especially in today's climate. Can you say "Toyota?". Anybody ever hear of an accident where the driver's seat being loose was a factor?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^That's a very valid point you make.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Unhappy

This just happened to me too! $1200 is crazzzzzy!! Is there a DIY on how to remove the seats? I'm not the most handy person in the world and I'll have to figure out how to drill and cut these brackets sometime this summer. HELPPP!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by carsoon
This just happened to me too! $1200 is crazzzzzy!! Is there a DIY on how to remove the seats? I'm not the most handy person in the world and I'll have to figure out how to drill and cut these brackets sometime this summer. HELPPP!
It's relatively easy to remove the seat, 4 nuts hold it down on to bolts coming out of the floor. Just pop off the plastic covers on the ends of the rails, this will expose the nuts. I had more difficulty in getting the wiring connectors apart. It was easier once I snipped a few wireties to get some slack. Once it was put together I had an air bag error but got that reset using the tips found on this site.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by C63someday
Did you weld the plate, & replace the bolt into the support arm? Im thinking I might welt the support arm to the brace as well insted of using the bolt.
I welded the plate and bolted back up. You could do that, but I have had no problems since I fixed mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Broken Drivers Seat Frame