G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Broken Drivers Seat Frame

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this fix about a week after I got the car. I bought it knowing the seat rocked. Taking the seat out is pretty simple, just remove the plastic covers on the front/back of the seat, slide the seat forward and remove the bolts that hold the seat to the car, slide the seat back and remove the front bolts.
Then just gently rock the seat back until you have access to the harness.

The whole point was I put a small bead on the support arm bolt after I welded the bracket.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to take mine apart too. I noticed it rocking some time ago and now if I push back on the seat-back the seat tilts by a huge amount.

Once I disassemble mine does anyone know how much a shop would typically charge to weld it back? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and finding a place to weld this shouldn't be very hard.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM
This seat issue has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Infiniti. Due to pain from pinched nerves in my neck I had to get rid of my 2003 6MT sedan with 58,000 miles on it because shifting just hurt too much. It has been a good car over all and I was sad to have to let it go. I might well have bought a used G35 automatic, but I really didn't want to end up with another car with a rocking chair drivers seat. I could never feel safe driving a G35 unless the seat had not only been fixed, but heavily reinforced. AFAIK, a broken seat frame is a big safety risk. It moves when you apply weight to the seat back and would not be as firmly anchored as it should be if the car was involved in an accident. Infiniti lost a customer over their cavalier attitude about the broken seat. It seems it happened to many G35s, some quite early and wasn't covered. I learned to accept the premature wearing breaks and clutches, and replacing the expensive 3rd brake light, which had LEDs in it at 37,999 miles, putting up with the 6 CD changer that kept dying until I gave up on it, but the seat was dangerous and they didn't care. Look at the trouble Toyota is in over safety issues. They got caught. Infiniti got away with this one, for now. When somebody ends up in their back seat from stretching behind the wheel and breaking the frame, or ends up on the hood still strapped in the seat, then it will get noticed. So far, they've been lucky, as have G35 owners.

I must confess that I did look at the used Infinitis anyway, mostly out of curiosity, but I thought they were overpriced and underequiped. None of their used Gs had a nav system. I ended up finding a really cherry 2003 Mercedes Benz CLK 500 with 37,500 miles on it for less than any of the used Infinitis. I love this car and it was a great deal. I did buy a good warranty. If something breaks on a MB I've heard that it generally costs about 3 grand to fix it.

The 5 liter V8 is slightly worse on gas than my G but it is a lot of fun to drive. Kind of makes up for not having a clutch. It's fast and fun. My 6mt was fun to drive and I had planned to keep it for 2 more years. I put a deposit on a Tesla Model S sedan, the fully electric car scheduled to be delivered in mid 2012. If they run a little behind, I guess I can put up with the Benz a little longer. I never had one before and they are sweet. I can see why people pay so much for them. I thought they were supposed to hold their resale value but this baby was a bargain, especially compared to the Infinitis and it's loaded with lots of high tech goodies. Mercedes 2003 technology almost seems current, not 7 years old. The built in speakerphone system is especially nice even though I had to spend $250 dollars to get a bluetooth adapter to make it work with today's digital phones instead of 2003 analog phones. It was well worth it.

My love affair with Infinitis was short. Overall the design and performance were excellent. I thought the build quality was good as far as fit and finish and overall reliability, but there were some shoddy areas too. Expensive parts that wore out too soon and some systems, like the CD changer that were prone to repeated failures. At the end of the day I was left disappointed. I don't hate them or think they are garbage, but they need to be a little sturdier and Infiniti needs to be more fair about repairing known defects, especially when they are potentially hazardous, even if they happen just after your warranty expires.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by lush1
This seat issue has left a bad taste in my mouth regarding Infiniti. Due to pain from pinched nerves in my neck I had to get rid of my 2003 6MT sedan with 58,000 miles on it because shifting just hurt too much.

My love affair with Infinitis was short. Overall the design and performance were excellent. I thought the build quality was good as far as fit and finish and overall reliability, but there were some shoddy areas too. Expensive parts that wore out too soon and some systems, like the CD changer that were prone to repeated failures. At the end of the day I was left disappointed. I don't hate them or think they are garbage, but they need to be a little sturdier and Infiniti needs to be more fair about repairing known defects, especially when they are potentially hazardous, even if they happen just after your warranty expires.
They might lose a second customer here. My 06 X has a rocking seat. Last night I ripped it out to find that both side brackets were securely bolted on and there was no tear in the bracket. SO I tightened up every mounting bolt I could find and put it back in.

So I guess it's the actual seat rails themselves? No way in hell am I going to pay that knid of money to fix the issue.

Also no way I am gonig to continure diving this car like this. It is by far the most irritating thing to me ever when I'm in traffic.

Why does my Subaru that is 2 years older with twice as many miles not have any issues like this? Not one. I left the G in the garage this morning because after having it for 3 weeks I already can't drive it with this seat issue. It enrages me way too much and it makes me sick that a car only 4 years old with 36K on it can be such a piece of junk.

And don't even get me started on all the front suspension issues.

I'm thinking of getting rid of it already, and never buying another Nissan product again.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
It amazes me when people get so pissed over something like this, especially when there's a cheap fix available

Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
It amazes me when people get so pissed over something like this, especially when there's a cheap fix available
That's what I was thinking. It's one thing to be pissed and have a rant, but to sell the car over something that can be fixed? I would just use it as an excuse to buy Coupe seats myself.

A lot of people also forget that we have the 1st gen G35's. The cars have improved significantly since these were introduced 8 years ago.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:49 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
God i hate my rocking seat...

Old 05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I didn't know you had that as well. ^^

No problems here so far.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Wow now i can go buy the part and get this fixed. Benn bugging the crap out of me.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
And this cheap fix is?

I have spent probably 12 hours on this forum searching and reading about this issue alone and I sure as hell haven't found one. At least not one that works anyway. Please enlighten me.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
That's what I was thinking. It's one thing to be pissed and have a rant, but to sell the car over something that can be fixed? I would just use it as an excuse to buy Coupe seats myself.
How is that a fix? Half the threads that turned up in my search for loose seat were coupe seats.

And I'm not selling it over the seat alone. I'm thinking of selling it because of the overall JUNK quality of the vehicle. Junk suspension, junk transmission, junk stereo. Why should I have to spend $800+ to have a working stereo on a 4 year old car with 36K miels on it? Becuase the entire car is made of JUNK, that's why.

Honestly my 1997 I30 was 100 times better than this G will ever be and the thing had 110K on it.

I always thought of Infiniti as a quality company until I owned a newer one. This things honestly makes my old POS Jeeps look like good cars. I never had issues ike this with them. And that's just sad.

All you fanbois just put up with constantly replacing compression rods, control arm bushings, doing the DD conversion, swapping or fixing seats blindly without realizing that you shouldn't have to be doing this. And if Infiniti made a qualty product, you wouldn't.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by K Dub
How is that a fix? Half the threads that turned up in my search for loose seat were coupe seats.

And I'm not selling it over the seat alone. I'm thinking of selling it because of the overall JUNK quality of the vehicle. Junk suspension, junk transmission, junk stereo. Why should I have to spend $800+ to have a working stereo on a 4 year old car with 36K miels on it? Becuase the entire car is made of JUNK, that's why.

Honestly my 1997 I30 was 100 times better than this G will ever be and the thing had 110K on it.

I always thought of Infiniti as a quality company until I owned a newer one. This things honestly makes my old POS Jeeps look like good cars. I never had issues ike this with them. And that's just sad.

All you fanbois just put up with constantly replacing compression rods, control arm bushings, doing the DD conversion, swapping or fixing seats blindly without realizing that you shouldn't have to be doing this. And if Infiniti made a qualty product, you wouldn't.
Did you ever think of getting some used rails from a junk yard? What a novel idea.

You're right, I'm a fanboy because I figure out how to fix things on my own. I hate to tell you, but every car you will ever buy is going to have things like this break. It's annoying, but it's the facts of life unless you can afford to buy new every 2-3 years. Most of the bushings have gone bad on my wife's Explorer and it hasn't even hit 100K yet...what a piece of junk!

Last edited by OKStateG35; 05-21-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
Did you ever think of getting some used rails from a junk yard? What a novel idea.

You're right, I'm a fanboy because I figure out how to fix things on my own. I hate to tell you, but every car you will ever buy is going to have things like this break. It's annoying, but it's the facts of life unless you can afford to buy new every 2-3 years. Most of the bushings have gone bad on my wife's Explorer and it hasn't even hit 100K yet...what a piece of junk!
If mine went at 36K, why are junk yard rails with even MORE miles going to be a fix of any sort? If anything they will probably be even worse as from what I read just about every one of these ever made seems to have these problems.

Listen man, I've been a "fix it myself" guy and a car guy all my life. I've even done fabrication (custom axle swaps, etc). I bought a Infiniti vehicle with 36K on it because I am just SO TIRED of constantly working on things out in the garage after work every night. I thought my days of wrenching on rusty junk were going to be over, at least in part.

But what was I doing last night? After leaving the house at 4:45 AM and getting home at 6:30 PM, I'm out in the garage from 7PM on, taking the seat out of my "new" vehicle trying to figure out why it feels like a rocking chair. What a joke.

I have had like 20+ cars in my life so far. I am 31 years old. I have NEVER seen so many widespread BS issues on such a low mileage japanese vehicle.

Why didn't my 1996 Prelude witih 167K on it have any problems?

Why didn't any of my civics, all with 100K+ on them have any problems?

Even my Jeeps (and jeeps are junk too), were better cars over the course of years than this Infiniti has been over the last 3 weeks.

And BTW, anyone who knows cars can tell you Ford is total crap. What has gone on with the explorer is just par for the course, my friend.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:45 PM
If mine went at 36K, why are junk yard rails with even MORE miles going to be a fix of any sort? If anything they will probably be even worse as from what I read just about every one of these ever made seems to have these problems.

Listen man, I've been a "fix it myself" guy and a car guy all my life. I've even done fabrication (custom axle swaps, etc). I bought a Infiniti vehicle with 36K on it because I am just SO TIRED of constantly working on things out in the garage after work every night. I thought my days of wrenching on rusty junk were going to be over, at least in part.

But what was I doing last night? After leaving the house at 4:45 AM and getting home at 6:30 PM, I'm out in the garage from 7PM on, taking the seat out of my "new" vehicle trying to figure out why it feels like a rocking chair. What a joke.

I have had like 20+ cars in my life so far. I am 31 years old. I have NEVER seen so many widespread BS issues on such a low mileage japanese vehicle.

Why didn't my 1996 Prelude witih 167K on it have any problems?

Why didn't any of my civics, all with 100K+ on them have any problems?

Even my Jeeps (and jeeps are junk too), were better cars over the course of years than this Infiniti has been over the last 3 weeks.

And BTW, anyone who knows cars can tell you Ford is total crap. What has gone on with the explorer is just par for the course, my friend.
I would guess there are more cars on this forum without this issue than there are with. If you're not willing to fix it yourself, I guess you either need to live with it or sell the car. Maybe you should just buy another Honda since they never have any problems?

Also, I am not your friend and Fords are no worse than any other domestic.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:14 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts

The only issue my car has had, is this seat issue...

And also, what is the fix? Because my seat is really annoying lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Broken Drivers Seat Frame