G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35s vs. 330i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35s vs. 330i

In my opinion, the person who owns the car knows how to actually drive it better than the magazine drivers. These magazine drivers have hardly any drive time behind the wheel of a certain car. Usually the owner itself learns the techniques of their car better.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, Stilen CAI
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft
Dyno 07-07-04 - 234.2 hp & 233.8 tq
http://www.g35world.com

Old 09-28-2004, 12:36 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the actual driving involved. Do I think Schumacher would run rings around anybody on this forum at a track even though he probably never logged a minute of driving time in a G...yes. Could he beat a good drag racer without having driven a G...probably not. Give him a few hours though and he'd probably do pretty well =)

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 09-28-2004, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

These magazine drivers have hardly any drive time behind the wheel of a certain car. Usually the owner itself learns the techniques of their car better.

<hr></blockquote>

Not necessarily, Motor Trend does a long term test of many vehicles, I think it's one year, then they do an update, I do know they did it with the G35 Sedan.

G35 OneYear Motor Trend

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 09-28-2004, 02:44 PM

From that MT "Long term test of the G35 Sedan" article...

"Bottom line is that we're enthusiasts. We love cars! Long after we got over niggles about audio controls and power seat buttons, we universally raved about the way the car goes and handles. Several editors place it at or near the top of the lists of what they'd buy for themselves. As we noted in our May comparo, in which we picked the G35 over the Cadillac CTS, Acura TL, and Saab 93, "In its price bracket, the G35 is a benchmark among near-luxury sport sedans." That bracket includes the old benchmark, the BMW 3 Series. All the dynamics of the 3 Series, no major reliability issues, better interior room, and lots of car for the money help us look back with pride at our choice for last year's Car of the Year."

...'nuff said.

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe

Old 09-28-2004, 03:22 PM

Yeah - I read that and noticed the OLD benchmark comment too. MPerhaps that special something that Bimmer guys think only bimmers have filtered it's way into the G - but they wouldn't know because they drive bimmers and refuse to think they've been dethroned. At least when G owners brag of the intangible handling and steering charachteristics - they can also brag they didn't pay a heavy premium for a smaller car with less power!

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 09-28-2004, 07:38 PM

In my opinion, though the 3 series seems bigger than it really is, I went with the G35 because it was actually a little bigger, plus was cheaper for what I wanted out of it. Size wise, I would rather have the 5 series, but it is unfortunately even more out of my price range.

I guess a lot of it depends on where you are coming from. The G35 drives well above anything else I had ever driven, so I guess I wasn't discriminating enough to tell the advantages the 3 series is reported to have.

On the other end, I'm not into street racing, so I'm not worried about a second in speed compared to some other car that may not have some of the refinement. It gets me into traffic easily on the highway, there is plenty of headroom if I need to pass, and some oncoming car is coming faster than expected.

Maybe whenever I get around to replacing the car, I'll be better able to compare the competition.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 09-28-2004, 07:39 PM

I could have last year. There weren't too many 3 year old used G35's last year

Old 09-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, okay, I see what you mean now! [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 09-28-2004, 09:59 PM

I actually test drove a 3 series car before I test drove the G35. I guess I wasn't actually prepared for the difference at the time, after driving FWD cars for years, and nothing fancy. It was, I believe, a 2001.

I liked how the G35 drove better, but some of that was because the BMW was way different from what I was used to.

Reasons against it, when I ended up buying months later, were the asking price was too high compared to what I ended up paying for the G35. Also, I ended up wanting Navigation, and when you are buying used, it is much harder to find rare options like that. When looking at used vehicles, it is much easier to buy if you want the common configuration. In G35 sedans, that would be an Auto with premium, and flexibility with whether you will accept sports suspension or not.

Actually, waiting until the 3 year versions become available is probably when you can get the best deals. Then, if you can find cars with only 30K or so, you are probably getting a car in better shape, since it doesn't have many miles for the age. A 1 year old car with 20K may have been abused, or may be a lemon. Or it could be one of the cars on this forum that have been repeatedly raced against BMW's from stop lights or driven accross the west at 100 MPH.

I test drove a 2003 G35 with Navi, but they seemed to want too much money for a car with 30K miles When you considered that a month later I paid only $4500 more for a new G35 with extended warranty configured almost exactly how I wanted.

Old 09-29-2004, 11:57 PM

G35 is what ? couple years old? While the first E46 323i sedan was out during 1999. 5 years already. In case you dunno, the new E90 will be out next year, which will eventually take over ur benchmark. Call it dethroned or whatever you want though, cus the G35 will only be the benchmark for up to another year while the older E46 has been the benchmark for way longer.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:08 AM

Um the 2005 will be right there bud with 298 horseys and all the same supsension components that got it accolades and better times than anything in class. That e90 will be 50k loaded and still have the 3.0 for a year or more. Yeah that's dominace of class. The Skyline is more than a couple years old hashbrownie. If someone can beat the benchmark more power to them - just save the moving the entry lux class to 50k and they can succeed..it only means more competition and better cars from everyone including one company that knows how to build a sports car based sedan. The 3.0 aint gonna cut it so we'll see whats in store for 2006. Until then - are you in a G or a 3?

2003.5 DP 5AT Sedan
14.2 @ 97.18
Z-Tube
K&N Drop In & Airbox Mod
10 Wire Hyper-Ground
Crawford Plenum (V4)
UR Crank Pulley
Hotchkis Sways (M/M)
Polk EX-3500 Tweeters/Shock Sensor/H-Liner

Old 09-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey browniesyummy !

RE: " the new E90 will be out next year, which will eventually take over ur benchmark. Call it dethroned or whatever you want, cus the G35 will only be the benchmark for up to another year"

Glad to see that your crystal ball is working so well, while everyone else has to actually wait for the cars to be built, introduced and test driven in order to make such bold statements.

It's good to know that while BMW's engineers are frantically working to pick up the ball that they so publicly, and to their worldwide humiliation "dropped", the Infiniti engineers are just sipping coffee on the veranda and watching the world go by - NOT!

Whether or not the BMW again becomes the "benchmark", Infiniti will continue to push the envelope, as will all other car makers - all to our benefit and enjoyment. It's a great time in history to be a gas guzzling American, people.

Your confidence in BMW's engineering ability is well grounded, as they have always been a builder of excellent sport sedans, no question. But Mike Tyson was once thought invincible, until some guy named Buster Douglas (aka Infiniti) came out of the blue and knocked him on his ***. He and his fans, in denial, called it a fluke, and felt his natural "superiority" would return him to his former "benchmark" position but, alas, the mystique was broken and he was never again held in awe, or given respect he didn't deserve. Similarly, nobody is afraid of the big bad wolf BMW anymore, after Infiniti laid their ***-whipping on them, so look for lots of manufacturers to step up to the plate and vie for that heavyweight champ crown that BMW once held so invincibly.

BMW is now a respected contender, nothing more, and nobody will ever lay down for them again, in my obviously biased humble opinion !

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 09-30-2004, 01:28 PM

That Tyson comparison was SOOO not relevant.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, K&N Drop-In, 04 Z Suspension

Old 09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BrianV:

Re: "That Tyson comparison was SOOO not relevant"

How so, Brian - in what way was it not relevant?

I made an analogy between a sports icon, once intimidating to all opponents and thought invincible, but since humbled and now very defeatable by a properly prepared opponent - and an automobile icon, once intimidating to all opponents and thought invincible, but since humbled and now very defeatable by a properly prepared opponent.

BMW is Tyson - gap toothed grin and all.

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 09-30-2004, 02:26 PM

I don't think BMW cares too much or is scared that in some eyes the 3 series is no longer the pinnacle.

Again, the 3 series came around in the 90's it has a smaller and older engine. I don't think it's like they got knocked out and they'll never be the same. Look at Roy Jones Jr. Once you get beat bad in boxing it's like that thought sticks in your head forever; you're fearful, you over-analyse things.

Car companies don't get like that, they just make as much money off the current car and spend more in R&D. If BMW built a 3.5 liter engine that put out ~275 HP (which is very possible) then they'd be the flagship again.

Also, there are still plenty of industry professionals who believe the 330i still outshines the G35; the G35 just has it on price. Needless to say it was a poor analogy in my opinion.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, K&N Drop-In, 04 Z Suspension

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35s vs. 330i