G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35s vs. 330i

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: G35s vs. 330i

Even though this thread is about just 2 cars in particular, when it comes to what is being planned on for the next generation it is just not the BMW's and Infiniti's that will have this class to themselves, I am sure that other car manufacturers are doing their best to out smart both BMW and Infiniti.....just as BMW was sitting pretty and winning car of the year all the time and then out of the blue the G came along, the same could be said about another car maker doing the same to the G. Let's try and stick to what is out there at present and not look into the crystal ball and argue about who is going to be better in 2005 or 2006.
Back to the original post, I think both cars are great and there maybe reasons why the BMW is more money ie. Better interior but not 8,000 better.
My fellow co worker sitting right next to me just bought a 330i 2 weeks ago and we went for a race last Friday, lets just say that I had him by a car length but again my sedan is not a race car and if I wanted that I would have got something faster, the G is the best bang for buck in the market and that is all to it.
Paul.

2004 G35 Sedan with sports package .
2004 Lincoln Aviator
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 completely modified
1999 VW Jetta

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/baj379

Old 09-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, a current 330i have comparable performances to the G35 sedan. Hell, as I mentioned before, a good driver in either car will win in a race. The Newer E90 is not a facelift, they will be using better suspensions, as well as more HP. The E90 325 will have HP numbers similar to the current E46 330. There will be several other models for the E90 as well, one that is higher than 330. Well, the current 330 can compete with the G35, I don't see why it's hard to belive the newer E90 will be better? BMW WAS the benchmark, you were right. However, do you truely think the BMW engineers will worry about Infiniti?(no offence). The G35 sedan/coupe are prime examples of the best bang for the buck analogy, while the 3 series is not. We all know that. The G35 came out WAY after the first 3 series, seems to me infiniti was worrying about competing.

Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BrianV:

You're entitled to your opinion (again) regarding the validity of my analogy, poor or otherwise. For clarification; however, I'd like to point out that you missed the thrust of it. I never meant that BMW was running scared, nor did I imply Mike Tyson ever ran scared - rather, I'm emphasizing the fact that once the formerly "invincible" party was defeated, then all of the other competitors began to realize that if Buster Douglas (Infiniti) could do it - then so could they !! The sense of empowerment that the competitors felt is exactly the opposite of your Roy Jones analogy, wherein they began to fight to WIN, not just survive anymore. And win they did.

Other car companies are already committing large sums of money to throw their hats (or better hats than they now have) into the sport sedan fray, no doubt empowered and emboldened to a very large degree by Infiniti's unexpected success in the marketplace. As you so eloquently illustrate, the car companies are in it for the money - and they ALL smell blood in the sport sedan water now. Hell, look at Suburu's latest foray into the sport sedan market - Subaru, for God's sake !!

Yes, there are a minority of people who are intelligent and in the know who believe the BMW to be superior to the "G" still, but alas, they are in the minority - it's never 100%, you know. I do not believe BMW is "scared", quite the opposite, I believe they have a real motivation amongst their engineering ranks for the first time in years, and I look for some excellent products from them soon. But they will no longer be in the sport sedan fight alone, and will be challenged at every turn, unless and until they become so dominant that they make it unprofitable for their competitors (again), which in my opinion is highly unlikely. Everyone has the technology now, engineering talent is global, economies of scale enable unprecedented manufacturing quality of advanced products at reasonable price points, and most of all, there is money to be made !!

FYI - I also do not have any particular loyalty to Infiniti - I've never owned a Nissan product until this one - I just buy what I think is the best car in whatever segment of the market I'm shopping. I shopped, drove the best few, and it was Infiniti who hit the mark. Who knows what I'll buy next time - maybe a Beemer (maintenance cost be damned ??).

Infiniti may lose it's populist "crown" soon, and in fact, may never regain it, but that just makes me anxious to see the better products from whichever manufacturers that have supplanted it. It's all good - and as I've said before, it's a great time to be a gas guzzling American.

Please don't tell me how poor my analogy is again - you've done so twice and I feel so inferior now. I'm sorry if my linguistic and grammatical skills are lacking such that I am unable to communicate effectively with others. (LOL).

Have a nice day (unless, of course, you have other plans).

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 10-01-2004, 01:48 AM

"I have to agree with MOTOP that a regular 330i , needless to say a 325, with the sport suspension doesn't handle as well as the Gs."

Sorry to tell you, the 325i w/SP has the same suspension as the 330i w/SP or w/o SP. I drive these 2 cars back to back, and the suspension in the 3 is MORE civil, tighter, and flat in the curves. I WILL say I have never autox'd either. This is just daily driving I'm referring too. It is very noticable to me.

"I will never pay for a fully loaded 325 more than the price a fully loaded G sedan. At least that's what I paid for my fully loaded ZHP for about the price of a fully loaded G coupe."

My fully loaded G35S 6MT w/prem/Nav cost me 32,300 (MSRP ~36k), and my 325i cost me 33,100 (MSRP ~37.4k), and if you picked up a fully loaded ZHP (MSRP 44k -47k) for the same or less, please inform me, and I'll go there and buy it right now!

Seriously, at that price, I will!

Old 10-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Premier Member

Don't let BrianV get to you. If you don't agree with him, he will always smartoff to you.

2004 Infiniti G35S, 6MT, Premium, Sport, DP
Mods: JDM Clears, 20% tint, Z-tube, Stilen CAI
Track: 14.32 at 98.79 mph 2.2032 60ft
Dyno 07-07-04 - 234.2 hp & 233.8 tq
http://www.g35world.com

Old 10-01-2004, 10:35 AM

As far as my first opinion about handling of non ZHP 3 series, like you, I had test driven the 325i w/ sp, 325ci w/ sp, 330i w/ sp, 330ci w/ sp, and G coupe back to back for the past few months. They are just not up to par with the G coupe, excluding the ZHP *_^wink^_*wink*.
As for your second response, As*el BMW or N*w Century BMW in Southern California as some of the people in several BMW forums recommended, but I wouldn't go A*sel since they were really rude. I ordered mine from N*w Century. FYI, BMW was offering a 4800 dollar manufacture rebate (which can be applied towards the negotiated price) on all '04 four door 3 series lineups, I believe, since this February, and I am not the only one who got this kinda deal. My order came out to be around 43000 (after the rebate) out the door including tax and fees originally for an '04 ZHP sedan, but got an '05 by accident for the same price. My options include leather, ZHP, xenon, auto, moonroof, Nav, and CD changer. You can also do a search or post a thread regarding the rebate in forums like Bimmerfest see how many people got the same deal in August and earlier. So if you get there in time, you should be able to pick up any '04 330s (with or without ZHP) at a pretty good price. Also if you were looking for a CLK with smoking deal - in case the two BMW dealers sell all their 04 ZHPs, PM me I'll hook you up with one- though I would never recommend a Mercedes (POS) even though my brother just got one. The point is that the Internet is a very powerful tool that keeps us informed of many things, and as you can see, the price of a BMW could fluctuate dramatically. I could understand Y you are in disbelief as I did when I first heard people talking about the deal they got. Well, let me know how your purchase turns out.

Old 10-01-2004, 04:26 PM

BrianV:

You own a 6MT G35 sedan, yet, obviously, you want the Beemer. Why don't you quit being a "wannabe", sell the "G" and buy your Beemer, then vacate this site.

Everybody wins !

Old 10-02-2004, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the backup/encouragement, G35-TX.

I enjoy a good "intellectual" discussion (argument), and everyone's opinion is equally important here, BUT subject to analysis by everyone else. In the Land of The Free, it's all good.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:39 AM

It's not worth the extra payment for a 330i zhp; the G35 is the right car for me for the money. Also, I'm a big Nissan fan. If I was Russ (G35_TX), and lived at home (at the ripe age of 32), then I'd probably be able to afford a Ferrari, but I'm not that fortunate. All in all, I love the G35 for what it is, sure I'd love an M5, but dollar for dollar the G35 CANNOT be beat.

I understand your point of view on the Tyson analogy, I did slightly misunderstand what you said, but I still think comparing a boxer to a car manufacturer is a poor analogy. I don't think BMW is any more scared about producing a superior car. I don't think their egos have been crushed. If anything they'll just increase R&D and adjust their profit scale accordingly. If it continues to happen; as in everytime they come out with a new car they get beat, then I think they'll feel defeated, but for now I don't think they're even bothered.

I don't think other manufacturers will feed off of Infiniti beating BMW in this comparo. If they are capable of producing a better car then they would have by now. You also have to remember that these Japanese car companies are generally modifying cars from Japan to fit in the American segment. In Japan they don't go head to head against the BMW so they're not typically designed to compete against the BMW. The US counterparts fight fiercly with the mothership manufacturer to get features and powertrain options from their respective parent companies, and very rarely get anything special. Look how long it took Subaru USA to convince Subaru Japan to let turbo engines into the states?

If Lexus wanted a car to crush the 330, they'd have to get more support on the IS300 from Japan which clearly they have not. American and European cars are going to be the only manufacturer who creates cars to go head to head with a German manufacturer, but there is no equivalent sporty German company other then Audi competing with BMW, and American cars, well they're far from BMW.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, K&N Drop-In, 04 Z Suspension

Old 10-04-2004, 10:52 AM

Russ (G35_TX),
You're the last person who should open their mouth right now. You sent me a PM saying any communication with me was basically over (what you call a friendship), why don't you live up to that?

There's a reason why so many people on the internet hate you, why you got banned from maxima.org and acura-tl.com. You take this stuff way too personally, it's a freaking car, don't make your entire life based on it.

You've gone through like 10 cars in 4 years seeking some sort of companionship with the car and its community. The fact that you were labeled internet lamer of the year speaks magnitudes about your credibility and person (http://www.lamer.net).

Now, please leave me alone and I'll leave you alone.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:02 PM

BrianV:

You make some good points.

Enjoy your ride - Peace.

DB

Old 10-04-2004, 04:41 PM

As did you, I'll be around with my G for a long while; chances are I won't be able to afford any car that's better then the G35. Thus, I made the right purchase and I still love every minute of G35 driving.