G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Acceleration and A/T response?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acceleration and A/T response?

Have a 05x with AWD and 5EAT and 60K miles. All stock - no mods. Just looking for feedback on this: when i accelerate agressively from 0 to 60 the trans shifts pretty smooth with shift points at about 3000-4000 rpm. Dont know the times but it doesnt seem that much quicker than a 4 cyl car like an Accord or Camry driven same way. Its fast enough but doesnt feel like 280HP.
What I really dont understand is that when i punch the throttle while cruising at 30 mph, sometimes the rpms jumps to about 5000 rpm but there is no real acceleration. Seems like the trans either is slipping a bit or it downshifts to the lower gear but there is no pull - just slow steady acceleration. No check engine lights show up. Fuel economy is good and drivetrain is smooth and no vibration or excessive noise. Even in manual mode - the acceleration is not that exhiliarating through the gears when i shift at 3500 rpm. Again feels not much different from an Accord or other good 4 cyl cars. I havent driven it close to redline ever. The car never had a tranny flush but dealer is recommending at 60K miles as routine maintenance.
Any recommendations (without making mods) or is this normal?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Reset the ECU, Unplug the Negative Terminal on your battery and hit the brake 3 times. You will loose your radio presets..ect

Reconnect it, and then Drive around in your car

Pop the car into Manual mode and try giving it some beans While controlling what gear that car is in, do not worry you will not hurt the car there is a rev limiter and it wont down shift until you slow down enough for that gear.

If your tranny is slipping you will hear the engine go much higher all of a sudden like it went into neutral.

And yes I would change out the fluid, I changed mine at 40k

When I first got my car I floored it in D but it shifted early..ect did not feel fast, rested the ECU drove it around giving it some beans and its all good.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:09 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Yes.

Although be careful about shifting down a gear too quickly. Mine won't do it, but I've heard the newer ones will go into a gear that's too low and run the revs up pretty high.

Don't be afraid of the redline though, these cars are normally just starting to open up at 3500-4000, so if you shift there, you're missing out on all the fun.

What I'm getting at is, it's always going to feel pokey if you don't floor it every once in a while.

An ECU reset is definately in order.

A good service probably wouldn't hurt either.

If it's still slow after all that, come back and let us know.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^Yes.

Although be careful about shifting down a gear too quickly. Mine won't do it, but I've heard the newer ones will go into a gear that's too low and run the revs up pretty high.
? How come I never heard of this? lol, but never had a problem with revs going above redline

Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 AM
? = 2B || !2B

I was talking to somebody once about how mine wouldn't downshift if you were going too fast for the gear, he tried it on his 05 and said it did go into a gear that was too low, but he quickly put it back in drive and was braking at the same time.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Mr.202?

I was talking to somebody once about how mine wouldn't downshift if you were going too fast for the gear, he tried it on his 05 and said it did go into a gear that was too low, but he quickly put it back in drive and was braking at the same time.

lol I feel like making a video now , yea mine wont down shift if I am going too fast for the gear, it has to be around ~1k+ away from redline before it will downshift..

I think the person you were talking to, his tach just lagged behind or something ha. If I read what the tach says all the time, I shifted in redline a few times

Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wuppiedog
Have a 05x with AWD and 5EAT and 60K miles. All stock - no mods. Just looking for feedback on this: when i accelerate agressively from 0 to 60 the trans shifts pretty smooth with shift points at about 3000-4000 rpm. Dont know the times but it doesnt seem that much quicker than a 4 cyl car like an Accord or Camry driven same way. Its fast enough but doesnt feel like 280HP.
What I really dont understand is that when i punch the throttle while cruising at 30 mph, sometimes the rpms jumps to about 5000 rpm but there is no real acceleration. Seems like the trans either is slipping a bit or it downshifts to the lower gear but there is no pull - just slow steady acceleration. No check engine lights show up. Fuel economy is good and drivetrain is smooth and no vibration or excessive noise. Even in manual mode - the acceleration is not that exhiliarating through the gears when i shift at 3500 rpm. Again feels not much different from an Accord or other good 4 cyl cars. I havent driven it close to redline ever. The car never had a tranny flush but dealer is recommending at 60K miles as routine maintenance.
Any recommendations (without making mods) or is this normal?
I dont have an AWD but I know what you are saying. To me it's anoying..Step on the gas and it downshifts further than you want (usually im in 4th and want 3rd, but goes to 2nd) but has no power....well a lot less than you expect. it feels like the transmission is slipping half the power away...Happens to me too....not sure if it's right...
On the same side of the coin(not to steal your thunder)...how do you prevent the tranny from dropping lower than needed????
This car/engine has the passing power, but it either drops to low (say 3rd to 1st) when you just want to pull ahead (makes me feel like a dick when my engine revs up and drops down two gears) or stays in too high of a gear so 77 accords pass ahead of you (the kid thinks you're racing if the engine revs up with no power)

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts

That was me. In manual mode, I downshifted and banged the rev limiter for a few seconds. I was actually doing this on purpose as it was a thread about manual mode shift logic. Def made me cringe when I did it.

I know the awd models aren't that fast...but my car is fairly peppy. Now that fall is here and the air is crisp, there have been a few times I've gone wot and thought to myself "damn, car is quick today". Then again....it ran a 14.7@93mph when I ran it at the track so it's really not.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 09-21-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have and X and its very responsive. I find if i do some spirited driving in manual mode, the car is more responsive in Auto. The car learns the way you drive and adapts it, (everyone should know this).

Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
That was me. In manual mode, I downshifted and banged the rev limiter for a few seconds. I was actually doing this on purpose as it was a thread about manual mode shift logic. Def made me cringe when I did it.

I know the awd models aren't that fast...but my car is fairly peppy. Now that fall is here and the air is crisp, there have been a few times I've gone wot and thought to myself "damn, car is quick today". Then again....it ran a 14.7@93mph when I ran it at the track so it's really not.
Oh yeah! That was you, I remember now.
I felt guilty

I wonder if that's and AWD thing since Danny said his doesn't do that

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
When you guys say the rpms shoot up to 5000 on big downshift, but nothing really happens in terms of power and acceleration, are you keeping your foot buried in the throttle or are you letting off about 1 second after the rpms shoot up to 5000? The tranny is designed to take some of the aburptness out of a big downshift therefore it disengages a bit (not entirely), revs to appropiate rpm, and engages the lower gear. So what you see when you floor it is the rpms shoot up momentarily and then the tranny engages. I've heard this compliant from lots of 05-06 owners, but never 03-04 owners. Maybe it's a shift logic thing.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all about torque. These cars reach the peak power-band between 3-5k RPM. anything around it doesn't make much power.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
When you guys say the rpms shoot up to 5000 on big downshift, but nothing really happens in terms of power and acceleration, are you keeping your foot buried in the throttle or are you letting off about 1 second after the rpms shoot up to 5000? The tranny is designed to take some of the aburptness out of a big downshift therefore it disengages a bit (not entirely), revs to appropiate rpm, and engages the lower gear. So what you see when you floor it is the rpms shoot up momentarily and then the tranny engages. I've heard this compliant from lots of 05-06 owners, but never 03-04 owners. Maybe it's a shift logic thing.
What you are describing is the rev matching on the 05-06 auto trans. The engine shoots up revs to match the speed it should be at for the speed you are driving and the gear you are shifting in to. It only does this in m/m mode, not during regular driving when you mash on the pedal to get a lower gear. I never have a problem with my car not responding when I do it.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never have this problem on my 05x mine is very responsive, first off if you want to accelerate aggressively and your shifting at 3500rpm that is not aggressive you need to bring it up to close to redline to get all the power out of your engine, you are shifting way to soon. dont be scared you wont hurt your car shifting close to redline i do it all the time and ive never had a problem for the last few years.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
I know what u are saying and I have been looking for the answer as well. I have an 07 coupe AT. One way that I have found is to turn off the VDL (the button on the left side of the steering wheel). I notice when I turn it off the car seem to have a lot more power to the rear wheels (not sure about the AWD). The only thing u have to be careful about is driving in the rain when u have it turned off (car can get out of control it u accelerate hard/punch it) and taking a curve/turn. That's just what i have found to work, but it might just be in my head hehehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acceleration and A/T response?