G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just bought my 2006 G35 sedan - need a little help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Just bought my 2006 G35 sedan - need a little help.

Hey everyone,

I'm 17 years old and I just got a 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan with 45K miles on it.

First of all, I need help regarding on how often I should be doing certain maintenance (i.e. oil change, etc.).

And secondly, I need advice on how to do my own regular maintenance to keep the car running in good condition.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Your owners manual can tell you what maintenance to do at certain mileages.

And I change my oil every 3000 miles...

Simple rule of thumb, you treat your car right, it will return the favor, our cars are very reliable anyways.

And congrats on the buy.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I agree with DrewskiLe. I would only add that some of the work will be expensive to get done. So you might have to budget ahead of time for it. Fortunately you came to the right place. Within this Forum is all the information you will ever need. The great thing is it is only a search button away.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Congratulations on becoming a new G35 owner. I see you are responsible enough to inquire about maintenance, so I can hope and ask as a personal favor that you don't kill yourself with this car as you are young and the temptation for speed is just a gas pedal away. These vehicles are fast for what they are. So please, respect yourself and others around you.

Also, WELCOME! Glad to have you as a part of the memberbase!

Firstly, as it's been aforementioned the manual should provide many of the routine maintenance items you should perform.

Additionally, SEARCH. Sure most of this stuff has been written all over the forum so avoid getting flamed, search a bit.

Like any vehicle, the way you maintain it and treat it, is the way the car will repay you. So try to be proactive to change engine oil prior to when it is direly needed. Many individuals niglect two important parts of the car, the transmission and differential. So keep tabs on both of these items.

The question you have to ask yourself immediately to determine how is the quality of your purchase is: How is the car behaving?

Simply put, write down everything you think is a potential "issue" and address it one item at a time. Whenever a problem arises try to take care of the problem before another problem comes up. Doing so avoids the "mountain of problems".

Does the car pull to a certain direction?
Do you hear clicking at slows speeds coming from the rear wheels?
When was the last time the differential oil was replaced?
How are the belts?
How much mileage does the engine have and was the transmission fluid changed/flushed?

You can actually go to an Infiniti dealership and request a transcript of all work performed to the car so that you can see when these actions have been performed, if they have.

Changing engine oil is very straight forward.

Lift car, secure it! drain oil, remove filter, install new filter, replace washer for oil drain plug, install drain plug, pour 5 quarts of your selected oil turn on engine, turn off engine check oil levels and keep logs.

For transmission fluid a drain and fill is 4 quarts.

check tire pressure, it is vital for tire life and gasoline consumption.

Again, welcome to G35Driver.com; i hope you enjoy the car and your visit here!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti dealers will also do a free 70(?) point inspection of your car. You don't have to buy any service, although that is what they want.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewskiLe
Your owners manual can tell you what maintenance to do at certain mileages.

And I change my oil every 3000 miles...

Simple rule of thumb, you treat your car right, it will return the favor, our cars are very reliable anyways.

And congrats on the buy.
3750 miles is the Factory Interval, why change at 3000?

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
3750 miles is the Factory Interval, why change at 3000?
Oil change recommendations are based on your driving habbits, distance, and ambient temperatures.

Nissan says 3750 based on XX temperature and 3-5 MILES per day. I travel 200-300 miles a day in miami weather by 3000 miles the oil is crap. Therefore I change my oil intervals depending on my driving. Sometimes it is sooner than 2300

Old 10-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by curry2spicy
Hey everyone,

I'm 17 years old and I just got a 2006 Infiniti G35 sedan with 45K miles on it.

First of all, I need help regarding on how often I should be doing certain maintenance (i.e. oil change, etc.).

And secondly, I need advice on how to do my own regular maintenance to keep the car running in good condition.

Thanks a lot for the help.
http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...&mileage=90000

Old 10-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Mr.202?

Originally Posted by AltimanGxe
Oil change recommendations are based on your driving habbits, distance, and ambient temperatures.

Nissan says 3750 based on XX temperature and 3-5 MILES per day. I travel 200-300 miles a day in miami weather by 3000 miles the oil is crap. Therefore I change my oil intervals depending on my driving. Sometimes it is sooner than 2300
That means you would be able to go alot longer if you drive more then 3-5 miles. This is such a short distance the oil really cannot warm up so that puts more strain then driving lets say 20miles+, when you can really get your oil warmed up

Now you do drive 200-300 miles a day, I drive 62 Miles 3 times a week to Boca From Miami. And my Oil even with Track time and the occasional redlining came out beautiful (Click here for Oil Report) the oil ran for 3880 miles Castrol Syntec 5W-30. According to the report I could easily go to 4.5k+ intervals. But I choose to stay at Factory Intervals for Warranty reasons.

I suggest at your next oil change to get it tested and see how its wearing. Blackstone labs sends you out a free container, you just pay to ship it and get it processed, You are most likely changing it a bit too early. I wont keep blabering to you when YOU should change your oil, but it would be nice knowing scientifically that your oil is not turning into "crap"

btw, what oil are you running?

Last edited by thescreensavers; 10-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:15 PM
(Bigjee ) nice find!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
That means you would be able to go alot longer if you drive more then 3-5 miles. This is such a short distance the oil really cannot warm up so that puts more strain then driving lets say 20miles+, when you can really get your oil warmed up

Now you do drive 200-300 miles a day, I drive 62 Miles 3 times a week to Boca From Miami. And my Oil even with Track time and the occasional redlining came out beautiful (Click here for Oil Report) the oil ran for 3880 Castrol Syntec 5W-30. According to the report I could easily go to 4.5k+ intervals. But I choose to stay at Factory Intervals for Warranty reasons.

I suggest at your next oil change to get it tested and see how its wearing. Blackstone labs sends you out a free container, you just pay to ship it and get it processed, You are most likely changing it a bit too early, but it would be nice knowing that your oil is not turning into "crap"
Nice to know sir!

Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
(Bigjee ) nice find!

Hope others can benefit from this.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Mr.202?

Nice to know sir!
bleh quoted too early ftl haha :P

Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I travel 200-300 miles a day in miami weather by 3000 miles the oil is crap. Therefore I change my oil intervals depending on my driving. Sometimes it is sooner than 2300
So you might change your oil in as little as eight days?

I suspect your mileage is easier on the car than normal, not harder. To travel that many miles every day sounds like a highway commute to work.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dan in St Louis
So you might change your oil in as little as eight days?

I suspect your mileage is easier on the car than normal, not harder. To travel that many miles every day sounds like a highway commute to work.
Ever driven in Miami?

Hialeah is the WORST!

I mostly travel in the city. I'd say a good 65% of the time. Additionally I drive on the aggressive side. the engine is constantly in the 3500-5400 RPM side.

8 days is sometimes an understatement.

But I was NOT surprised to see how my engine internals were when I rebuilt the heads. (due to a cooling problem)

screeensavers

I run Mobil1 10-30. Mobil1 or Bosch oil filter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought my 2006 G35 sedan - need a little help.