G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

its that time of the year for AWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
its that time of the year for AWD

hey everyone, ive had my '05 g35x for about a year and a half now and i need new winter tires. I was looking at the continental extreeme weather contact tires vs. general altimax, the reviews make the generals sound a bit noisier overall better rated and i was curious if anyone had their input opinions on what their prefrences are. All input is welcome thanks!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have awd just get all season tires that are descent especially if you have summer wheels/tires combo

Old 11-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put on some studded General Altimax tires, they are a fantastic setup for the price. Gottem from TR. Very happy with my purchase and yes I have tried them out as its already snowing and icy in Kelowna :-(

Old 11-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
if youre looking for strictly winter tires, many people swear by blizzaks... for a good all-around tire I like the Continental extremecontact DWS (dry, wet, snow). a good resource is the tirerack reviews...

Old 11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by ccc123pm
if youre looking for strictly winter tires, many people swear by blizzaks... for a good all-around tire I like the Continental extremecontact DWS (dry, wet, snow). a good resource is the tirerack reviews...
cool thanks, i guess i cant go wrong with any of the above. I asked the tire rack sales rep if he could get me quotes hopefully ll hear back sometime soonish.

out of curiousity where did you purchase your car?

I got mine from kelly and i love the car....but hated the dealership. I got it from them instead of a place in watertown cause i figured they would stick behind their product and they did anything but that. I could go on for an hour of how crappy they were to me.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by LuXXXz
you have awd just get all season tires that are descent especially if you have summer wheels/tires combo
thats like saying a horse has four feet, it doesnt matter how you shoe it.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
got my car in CT. they are right next to the auto auctions... i told them what I wanted and magically it appeared on their lot... ACI auto group.

Kelly Infiniti reviews from regional discussion

Old 11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I have Continental ExtremeWinterContacts sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted next Wednesday. They got awesome reviews and the price was perfect. I still think they are an awesome tire, but also check out Blizzak.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I just threw on a set of Micheline Pilot Alpin PA3's with Sport Edition rims. Expensive setup, but I had the PA2's previously (now on gf's car) and they're worth the price if you can swing it.

If you're going with a dedicated set of winter tires on a G35, I'd recommend either the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (or PA2, if you can find it), or, to save a little money, look at the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60. The reason being these are winter tires designed for enhanced performance on dry roads.

If you live in a place that gets a ton of snow and ice, you're better with a different set of Blizzaks or the Michline Xice series, as those are designed for harsher winter conditions. I live right outside Boston, and the PA2's were perfect for me. I've already taken the PA3's up past ninety mph, and they handle beautifully with very little noise, and no wobble.

EDIT: The PA3/PA2 and LM-60 are also going to wear less than a "studded replacement", as the rubber is less soft (I hesitate to say "harder") than some of the other options out there. Regardless, take a look at the reviews on TireRack.com, see what you think. I would recommend calling one of their reps directly, as they're quite knowledgeable and usually pleasant to deal with. If you do end up buying your tires on TireRack.com, do it over the phone as I'm pretty sure the reps are on commission. Good luck with your purchase.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've ran Blizzaks on a set of '03 6 spoke 17s on my RWD G for 3 Chicago winters and they absolutely rock. For AWD, I dont think winter tires are neccessary, but I can only imagine how good the car will move in the snow with them.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:23 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i think DWS are only good for snow like on till 7/32 tread and then they are just DW. Not exactly sure but i think i saw that posted somewhere. conti tires a couple years ago just suck *****. I think/hope they got better but if i had to run all seasons i run the bridgestone 960's. Winter tires dunlop m3's or blizzak.

My 2 seasons in chicago now were just w/e crappy all-season that were on the car. 1 toyo, 2 conti crap and 1 ??. I bought the car and it came with new-ish tires they all had like 7 or 8/32s on them. Now they are down to 6/32 since i only use them for winter.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:42 AM
got my car in CT. they are right next to the auto auctions... i told them what I wanted and magically it appeared on their lot... ACI auto group.

Kelly Infiniti reviews from regional discussion
lol i just moved down the street from them, you know if they do repairs?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by thebonafortuna
I just threw on a set of Micheline Pilot Alpin PA3's with Sport Edition rims. Expensive setup, but I had the PA2's previously (now on gf's car) and they're worth the price if you can swing it.

If you're going with a dedicated set of winter tires on a G35, I'd recommend either the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 (or PA2, if you can find it), or, to save a little money, look at the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60. The reason being these are winter tires designed for enhanced performance on dry roads.

If you live in a place that gets a ton of snow and ice, you're better with a different set of Blizzaks or the Michline Xice series, as those are designed for harsher winter conditions. I live right outside Boston, and the PA2's were perfect for me. I've already taken the PA3's up past ninety mph, and they handle beautifully with very little noise, and no wobble.

EDIT: The PA3/PA2 and LM-60 are also going to wear less than a "studded replacement", as the rubber is less soft (I hesitate to say "harder") than some of the other options out there. Regardless, take a look at the reviews on TireRack.com, see what you think. I would recommend calling one of their reps directly, as they're quite knowledgeable and usually pleasant to deal with. If you do end up buying your tires on TireRack.com, do it over the phone as I'm pretty sure the reps are on commission. Good luck with your purchase.
haha i hope you arnt considering the weather outside of boston "dry roads" expecially with that icy mix crap we consistantly got last year. I moved from Watertown back to CT in the valley and it gets more snow here then the slush/mix.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by arbol99
haha i hope you arnt considering the weather outside of boston "dry roads" expecially with that icy mix crap we consistantly got last year. I moved from Watertown back to CT in the valley and it gets more snow here then the slush/mix.
Woops, I chose those words poorly. To clarify, when I said "dry roads" I meant "anything except very deep snow". The PA3/PA2 will handle that slushy crap better than a set of Blizzaks, and they're great in the rain (I believe better than Blizzak). The Blizzak will stop a little shorter on ice, but I've found the PA2 to be more than adequate in the past. The PA3/2 won't wear as fast, is quieter, and is more fun to drive on dry roads (actually dry roads).

The Blizzaks have them beat in deep snow and ice. And usually price.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I put the conti dws on my car this fall. GREAT rain tire. A little bit of highway noise, but not sure if it's a wheel bearing so I can't say for sure. Waiting on snow to see how it is. Around metro Boston, I don't need snow tires. I was fully confident on all seasons in deep snow with the car, so I stick tom running all seasons.

Btw, I bought my car from Kelly infiniti and had a good experience overall. Just a couple minor issues, but they had a case. Just don't pay attention to the or free inspections. They never check anything

But in general....all dealers tend to suck as they want to make money off you

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 11-22-2010 at 07:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: its that time of the year for AWD