G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I have come to the conclusion that being low sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I'm beginning to hate being lowered and I'm only dropped on Z springs. Maybe my 100 mile round trip commute every day is a little too much for my sedan.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by w4kj4k
Lowering a car isn't for everyone. Saying roads are bad is a silly excuse, just admit you don't have the ***** to do it lol.
Whoa calm down man, if you only knew what I had to drive on everyday you wouldn't say that. I bottom out at stock height and that is doing my best to swerve around all of them.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TPI Monte SS
Wow, I don't even want to know what you used to drive that makes you claim the G is noisy. My last DD ('01 Jeep Cherokee Sport) had rattles and creaks like you wouldn't believe - my G is like a coffin compared to that truck.

Oh believe me I know haha. My friend has a decked out Jeep Rubicon. Raised with the offroad tires and all that fun stuff. He let me drive it a couple times.. and holy ****.. if I had to drive that for like an hour i'd **** myself. Sooo ridiculously shakey and noisy. It was a bit windy that day too so the car was like moving from side to side on it's own . And once you get up to 60 mph it feels like the you're going to lose control of the car

The last car I had was an older Lexus. Like a 1999 ES300

Old 07-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
First off, you guys with super low drops thinking your cars can handle are smoking the crack pipe A properly set up suspension needs adequate wheel travel which is something most of these slammed rides aren't going to have. A G sedan on Z/coupe springs and Z shocks would run circles around a G slammed on coilovers on an auto-x course. Big drops also screw up the roll center, and swaybar/suspension geomerty. Without adeaquate wheel travel, the tires will break loose easier and handling limits will be lower. Roll is not entirely a bad thing.

I don't know what equals "low" in everyone's book. I'm on Z/coupe springs and Z shocks. There's about an 1" of gap at all four corners with my 225/45R18 F and 245/40R18 setup. When I'm in the car, the gap shrinks almost .5". For me, that's plenty low and looks damn good without the retarded look of tucking the tires into the fender. I don't scrap or bottom out, and the car is killer on the auto-x. My only complaint is since the springs are linear which means they're rather stiff and crash over frost heaved pavement. However, I'd much rather have linear rate springs than progressive rate like most aftermarket springs.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Definitely getting old

Old 07-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with you Steve, I was once on coils too, then went back to springs and got exactly what I wanted as far as looks and handling AND still be able to "drive"
Was saving up for coils again, but now I'm thinking on spending the $$ on something else more important

Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
First off, you guys with super low drops thinking your cars can handle are smoking the crack pipe A properly set up suspension needs adequate wheel travel which is something most of these slammed rides aren't going to have. A G sedan on Z/coupe springs and Z shocks would run circles around a G slammed on coilovers on an auto-x course. Big drops also screw up the roll center, and swaybar/suspension geomerty. Without adeaquate wheel travel, the tires will break loose easier and handling limits will be lower. Roll is not entirely a bad thing.

I don't know what equals "low" in everyone's book. I'm on Z/coupe springs and Z shocks. There's about an 1" of gap at all four corners with my 225/45R18 F and 245/40R18 setup. When I'm in the car, the gap shrinks almost .5". For me, that's plenty low and looks damn good without the retarded look of tucking the tires into the fender. I don't scrap or bottom out, and the car is killer on the auto-x. My only complaint is since the springs are linear which means they're rather stiff and crash over frost heaved pavement. However, I'd much rather have linear rate springs than progressive rate like most aftermarket springs.
I think most know we traded performance for looks Dave and the car still handles fine and most of us do not xcross. I guess you either like low or you don't and it does not make it retarded. I had z springs with dspecs before I got the coilovers and I liked the setup very much. I just wanted to close up the gap and get off springs that had a 100k plus miles on them.

I personally am raising it up to find the right balance of looks and proper alignment. Next year ill slam a S13 Vert for looks!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Combo of getting old and getting tired of the bumpy ride. Especially in the city. It's just too much. Not to mention the older you get the more you notice slammed cars look too teenagerish.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
The whole autocross example is BS in my opinion. Not that it's not true, but how many people actually autocross or track their car on this forum? Over 95% I would say drive it just to drive, not for autocrossing or tracking, so that's really not a relevant point. You can drive around slammed or OEM height and if you drive "normally" then it won't make a difference about handling.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
I like how mine sits on the Z/G combo; my fender heights are almost exactly the same on all four corners and the gaps are reasonable. No camber issues, the car handles very well and rides fine. I need to exorcise some creaks but all in good time. I enjoy driving my car and don't want to have to worry about bottoming out on a mouse-turd.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
I agree. Being low does suck. I hate speed bumps and steep entrances

Old 07-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
It doesn't if it's your daily, should be a few clicks down. You don't want it set to the stiffest otherwise you'll have premature wear.
Thanks for the info ill get them fixed soon

Old 07-02-2011, 06:13 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB

Dave, I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to make the point that a slammed car handles better than one with a mild drop. Us slammed guys know that we've sacrificed some performance for looks.

Low for me equals little to no wheel gap between the tire and the fender. Slammed is tucking tire and looks soooo proper when done right.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by The Stimulation
The whole autocross example is BS in my opinion. Not that it's not true, but how many people actually autocross or track their car on this forum? Over 95% I would say drive it just to drive, not for autocrossing or tracking, so that's really not a relevant point. You can drive around slammed or OEM height and if you drive "normally" then it won't make a difference about handling.
Very true, most people really aren't racing their cars. However, with a good setup with a decent amount of wheel travel, you can have your cake and eat it too. You get a good looking drop, an excellent ride (in most situations), excellent performance, and a setup that won't wreck your car on bumps, driveways, etc. BTW, I'm not saying coilovers are a bad idea. I think any gearhead would want a quality coilover setup. Thing is, most coilovers are far from quality.

I guess I'm not one to compromise ride, handling, and car damage for a look. Same goes for performance. I'm not going to have an overly loud exhaust for 5whp. Been there, done that with both. It's not worth it. However, you can get 80-90% of the look, performance, etc. without major compromises.

I'll end my posting by saying there is no way I could ever drive/own a stock ride height G

Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
the new suspension setup i'm working on has the best of both worlds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I have come to the conclusion that being low sucks