G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

NRG PS tank with 6mt and PS cooler ... Lets See What Happens.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 02:33 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
NRG PS tank with 6mt and PS cooler ... Lets See What Happens.....

Hello Everyone !!

There has been some talk for a while now and i finally stepped up and bought a NRG power steering tank and hand custom finished by Vivek. We all know well some people that we had problems with the nrg PS tank on the 03-04 sedan due to no PS cooler on the cars ..

here is what i used in order for this to install...
thanks Randy - Rryde for the help in getting the correct fittings to make this work

1 - NRG tank
2 - EARLS 1/4 to -8st
3 - EARLS 1/4 NPT to 3/8 barb
4 - Aeroquip -8 push lock straight
5 - drilling 2 holes in the bracket that holds the can for the clamp to go thru.

i ended up using a 90º connector which made it alot easier for me ..

and you needed to trim the bigger hose about 2'' or so since the connectors i put on the can drop down a good amount.

I quoted Marcus's Comment in the thread about this..

Gabe and Kenny both have 5AT Sedans and it wouldn't work on their cars. We took the exact tank that didn't work on Gabe's car and put it on a Coupe owner's car and its been working without any issues. The 5AT Sedan doesn't have a PS cooler that is the only reason why I (and a couple others) could think of as to why it wouldn't work on a 5AT Sedan
so KNOW it was time to install the can..

DAY 1:

i Took the can off the car and our coolant tank off so i could have room to work.

Sorry for the cell phone picture i didn't bring my camera ...

It took me a few hours to get everything perfect and to install.. After i finally got everything together it was time to test it out and see how it worked. I filled the can about 1/2 way and started the car up.. it was making noises due to air in the lines and maybe lack of fluid. we put a little more fluid in the tank and the sound started to slowly go away after 10-15 minutes..

i left the car running for about 30 minutes i say and every 5-10 minutes i would turn the wheel to full lock about 3-5 times and finally the noise was GONE

i then left the shop which was 5-10 minutes away and took a different way home so i can go thru more turns. once i hit my driveway i got the noise back.. HMM thats weird. Once i got the car in my garage i popped the hood and i had fluid all on top on the can FAWK !!... I started talking to Marcus about it and we think i had to much fluid in the tank. So i cleaned it up with some rags and called it a night ..

i talked to a former member on here Kennymo who had a sedan AT and tried to install the tank and said the same thing was happening as well with the fluid on top..

i researched everywhere last night and sent out messages ..

DAY 2

i went out side and all the hoses were nice and dry so there was no little leaks after sitting thru out the night .. AWSOME !!

here is a video of a cold start and turning the wheels a few times and everything seemed to be working fine.. no noises, no leaks no nothing ... does the tank WORK ??? i am very close to knowing about this. i want to drive the car for several days and take some turns and then i will tell you if the tanks works or if it fails

here are some pictures of my install .. i should have bought some braided lines but i didnt ... i just wanted to make sure everything worked and if so i will be replacing all the hoses for the PS tank sooner or later ...

i also have a polished coolant tank that i will be installing very soon .. i am going to have my good friend who does fabrication work at a shop make my bracket ... and ill be measuring everything here and drawing the bracket up in CAD and making Picture of it with all the specs and where the holes need to be drilled so i can send it to him to make

should be done within a week...

I am also in the process now of getting custom braided lines for the coolant hoses and and other hoses in the bay... i have ordered from 2 different people and both have FAILED and send wrong stuff or they look HORRIBLE....

I will update this thread about the NRG PS tank as the days go by ..

thank you everyone for reading this and hope everything works out for the 6mt sedans

Last edited by SN00P; 10-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Nice chris, I think I have told you everything yesterday but if im not mistaken it sounded like it was making some noise....i may be wrong. Keep me updated...also if anyone has aftermarket coolers on the sedan which one didbu buy and what is involved in installing it. Thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 03:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
yes it sounds like it a little ... hmm ill drive it around some today and see how everything works .. i still think i need to release some of the air in the tank which i will to today

Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
saweeeeeeeeet

Great job and props for not getting so frustrated you finally said f it.

And Gabe, Sean's tanks are plug and play, I'm just sayin............................................. .

Old 10-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Might be a dumb question but why is this needed to be done? Does the PS have problems for the 5ATs?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
with this tank you need to have a power steering cooler on your car ... it was tested on a few sedans without the cooler on the AT sedans and did not work but the same tank was installed on a coupe and it worked fine.. ... if you order Seans SxExCx tanks they will work on all sedans and use all factory mounting spots and no modifying the hoses .. but i wanted round tanks in my car not offense to Sean even tho his work is AWESOME !!

but to answer your question you dont have any problems with the power steering itself .. its when you want to run a aftermarket tank other then the one Seans makes and sells

Old 10-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
FWIW...air in the system should work itself out after a few times of turning the wheel all the way to one side and back to the other. But keep trying man I really want to see this work on your car.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:22 PM

It's already working. He had no issues with it today I don't think.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
No issues in the garage but I didn't take the car out of it today LOL!! I spent some time with my little girl most of the day

Sorry I was slacking but ill drive it either Monday or tuesday lol

Old 10-09-2011, 10:25 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
It's already working. He had no issues with it today I don't think.
Yup when I talked to Chris today he said everything seemed to be working.

Still doesn't make sense to me why this won't work on a car without a PS cooler but at least we've determined what the issue seems to be.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by SN00P
No issues in the garage but I didn't take the car out of it today LOL!! I spent some time texting Tim and Marcus most of the day

Sorry I was slacking but ill drive it either Monday or tuesday lol

Fixed for ya!!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
!!!!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
LOL...so true!

Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Yup when I talked to Chris today he said everything seemed to be working.

Still doesn't make sense to me why this won't work on a car without a PS cooler but at least we've determined what the issue seems to be.
That is what I would like to know ... what is the biggest difference between this can and seans cans he makes besides his are beautiful from what I heard! !

I just don't understand why they don't work and seans tanks work 100% with no modifications

Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Daughter, psssssssshhhhhhhh

I'm too old to be your kid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NRG PS tank with 6mt and PS cooler ... Lets See What Happens.....