G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tranny fluid first service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny fluid first service

Hey Folks

Old guy, new G35X owner. Took it home on Saturday, found respect for it on Sunday, drove it in the snow today. Couldn't be happier!
I've read the article on how to break in your engine and agree in principle - back in the day when I worked on engines (pre-emission, pre -seat belts, only Detroit muscle showing), we'd break in for 500 miles, then change the oil and filter. The tranny fluid and filter (AT) was generally changed at 1,500 miles for same reason - flush out the metal particles.
My current manual states the first tranny flush is at 15,000 miles. I think that's too late. Any opinions on this?
Thanks for the guidance - I really enjoy reading your posts...

Old 12-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi GAWDog,

I don't know beans about engines but back in the early eighties I attended business school at the University of Michigan and we heard a great deal about the improvements that were being made in the casting and finishing of engine and transmission parts. The bottom line was that processes like the "lost foam process" were improving the casting process so that higher tolerances were possible and as a result the break-ins would be easier.

I am confident that Nissan has estabished an appropriate service schedule for the G35.

Cale

Old 12-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"I am confident that Nissan has estabished an appropriate service schedule for the G35."

So that it last thru warranty with minimal cost to manufacturer.........now 150k is another matter.

Transmission replacement [$4000+] is something you want to defer as long as possible, same with AC compressor & evaporator, power steering rack/pump.

Old 12-24-2004, 01:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a good point Q45Tech.
To my mind, as long as the colour and smell of the fluid is good, and you're not towing, a flush and refill at 15k to 20k miles is ample. JMHO.

Old 12-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
"I am confident that Nissan has estabished an appropriate service schedule for the G35."

So that it last thru warranty with minimal cost to manufacturer.........now 150k is another matter.

Transmission replacement [$4000+] is something you want to defer as long as possible, same with AC compressor & evaporator, power steering rack/pump.
Hey Bud, where you been? It's been almost a month since you were last posting. I miss your sharp wit.

Cale

Old 12-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Yea, me too. I welcome the Tech's words of wisdom. Makes me feel like we got a man on the inside, who knows the dealer's tricks.

Just how much should a flush and refill cost, at the dealer, with that special AWD tranny fluid?

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Old 12-25-2004, 01:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech
Q45tech... We know we can have the tranny flushed at more frequent intervals, but what can we do to extend the lives of the "AC compressor & evaporator, power steering rack/pump"?

I would like to keep my G for as long as possible, certainly more than 200K... any helpful advice to get me there while keeping repair costs as low as possible?

Old 12-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Hey Everyone

Just some info along the lines of this thread-

I recently had my 2003 AT Sedan in for 30,000 service. I was grilling the service manager a little about this and that. I asked him if he recommends changing the AT fluid at any certain intervals. His response was "the G35 never needs the AT fluid replaced" which sounded pretty textbook. And just to be fair to him, I have never had a problem with my dealership, they have been nothing but excellent all around.

Of course I was thumbing through my owners manual and it does only say to INSPECT the fluid (unless you did heavy towing yada yada).

I may be pointing out the painfully obvious and the already pointed out, but I think it's a case of taking care of your car and making them change it out anyway, or doing it yourself. I've seen some other posts in the forums about the subject (along with the rear diff fluid), with some good info, you may want to do a search.

Happy Holidays - more time to drive around aimlessly with days off!

Old 12-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Nothing wrong with a flush and change at 15K, but 30K is not going to shorten the life of the tranny under normal conditions. Now if you live in Phoenix and sit in stop/go traffic, or you drive the snot out of it up mountain passes regularly. Then you might want to do the 15K interval. Remember, this is the same tranny that sits behind the V8 in the much heavier Q45. It is quite understressed in a G35. Not to mention it has a pretty nice ATF cooler. Much better than most OEM units. Heat is what kills trannys. That and idiotic owners manually downshifting them regularly, or putting into reverse while still rolling forward, or vice versa.

Old 10-07-2005, 04:07 PM
I assume the emphasis is on "regularly", after all if they didn't want you to downshift manually with the sport-shift feature, they wouldn't allow it.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
To my mind, as long as the colour and smell of the fluid is good, and you're not towing, a flush and refill at 15k to 20k miles is ample. JMHO.
I agree that a correctly done AT flush and refill isn't a bad idea, especially if you drive hard or anytime the ATF's color and/or smell is questionable. That said, a flush and refill may not be necessary for many Gs until they get above 60k miles.

The maintence schedules in the 03 and 04.5 Factory Service Manuals indicate all that's needed for automatic transmission fluid and manual transmission gear oil & differential gear oil is an inspection at 15k, 30k, 45k, 60k miles, usless... see NOTE: (1).

"NOTE: (1) If towing a trailer, using a camper or a car-top carrier, or driving on rough or muddy roads, change (not just inspect) oil at every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) or 24 months. Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine Nissan Matic J ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty."

Old 10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Why do we need 15k ~ 30k trans flush? At the parts counter the required Nissan fluid is $9 per quart (nearly double Mobil 1). Is this special (not needing frequent changes) synthetic fluid?

Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
How does one even "inspect" the AT fluid? There's no stick!

Old 01-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by JimG35
Why do we need 15k ~ 30k trans flush? At the parts counter the required Nissan fluid is $9 per quart (nearly double Mobil 1). Is this special (not needing frequent changes) synthetic fluid?
Yes it is special fluid for the AT not available in the aftermarket. J-Matic if I recall correctly. The 6MT takes conventional gear oil as does the rear diff, so aftermarket fluids are available for both.

Old 01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by JimG35
only $7 online ....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tranny fluid first service