G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How will I know when I need a new clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How will I know when I need a new clutch

I learned to drive stick on my car (Ya I know) so I stalled a good amount of times. How will I know when I need a new clutch?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first sign should be when you're bangging through the gears and as you hit second with the gas on hard the tach goes up but the speedo doesn't.

The following users liked this post:
jimmyboi860 (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Bassman
The first sign should be when you're bangging through the gears and as you hit second with the gas on hard the tach goes up but the speedo doesn't.
What do you mean by banging through the gears? I find that a lot of my shifts aren't smooth but I feel like thats my fault and not the clutch's

Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never noticed anything on my G20 years ago until it went one day. 1 minute it was working, next the clutch wasn't engaging and the whole block smelled like hell. I happened to behind a Firestone, went in and grabbed a mechanic. He didn't even get close to the car said it was toast.
Learned later that was probably the price of a nasty habit of resting my foot on the clutch while driving. Sorry no help on warning signs, but keep off the clutch when not in gear.
BTW, learned to drive stick in my Civic BubbleBack and bucked the hell out of it. Still never had a problem with it so I wouldn't say learning in your car is a clutch death sentence, though it worried me too.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by toaste
I never noticed anything on my G20 years ago until it went one day. 1 minute it was working, next the clutch wasn't engaging and the whole block smelled like hell. I happened to behind a Firestone, went in and grabbed a mechanic. He didn't even get close to the car said it was toast.
Learned later that was probably the price of a nasty habit of resting my foot on the clutch while driving. Sorry no help on warning signs, but keep off the clutch when not in gear.
BTW, learned to drive stick in my Civic BubbleBack and bucked the hell out of it. Still never had a problem with it so I wouldn't say learning in your car is a clutch death sentence, though it worried me too.
Why will leaning your foot on the clutch cause damage? Did leaning your foot cause it to depress a little or something?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jdubin94
Why will leaning your foot on the clutch cause damage? Did leaning your foot cause it to depress a little or something?
leaning keeps the clutch engaged even though it shouldn't be. A clutch is supposed to be used only when the gears need to be changed and so it prematurely heated it when he used it as a footrest.

Dunno about the G but ive heard that in some vehicles the clutch starts engaging a lot higher than it normally would and its a gradual process.
(kinda like how the brake pedal goes lower than it should) the clutch pedal engages higher.
This is what i experienced in a honda civic but we sold the car before it went so i dont know how long it would actually have lasted.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
If your clutch is slipping, then it's probably time for a new clutch.

There might be better indicators, but here's what I learned:
Engine on, at a stop, be in 1st gear with your foot off the brake and gas pedals. Slowly release the clutch through the engagement point stopping just as you feel the top of the spring, before the car would normally stall. If it engages and your car starts moving forward, your clutch is still good. If it doesn't catch and stalls immediately, then you need a new clutch

Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
You'll try to fastly pass a car on the highway and your RPMs keep going up, and up, and up..and your speed stays the same.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
If your clutch is slipping, then it's probably time for a new clutch.

There might be better indicators, but here's what I learned:
Engine on, at a stop, be in 1st gear with your foot off the brake and gas pedals. Slowly release the clutch through the engagement point stopping just as you feel the top of the spring, before the car would normally stall. If it engages and your car starts moving forward, your clutch is still good. If it doesn't catch and stalls immediately, then you need a new clutch
Really? I would think that it is the other way around. With the wheels not moving, the pressure plate grabs the flywheel and pulls down the engine RPMs down to stall. If the clutch was weak it wouldn't be fully grabbing the flywheel, you would be able to slip the clutch until it grabs and the engine matches the speed of the wheels. If that makes sense...

I drove a Maxima with a badly slipping clutch. I had to rev the engine to 5000 just to get it going in first gear. All I had to do was drop the clutch at any RPM to get in the gear, but then would be able to go until the revs were high.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
You'll try to fastly pass a car on the highway and your RPMs keep going up, and up, and up..and your speed stays the same.
I don't think I have experienced this on the highway but what I have noticed is that my rpm's rise extremely quickly in 1st gear without much of an increase in speed. Can you guys tell me how fast you guys are going at 2k and 3k rpm's in first. That would help me out a lot.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
I have to shift into second at like 35 or something. Its a really short gear.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
I have to shift into second at like 35 or something. Its a really short gear.
Yeah.. At red line. Im talking at low rpm's. How fast would you be going?

Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't think you will find your clutch slipping in first gear unless you floor it at 3k

Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Hopefully when you're not stuck on the side of the road =P

But like everyone said, you hit the gas and it seems like your car is losing RPMs, then it goes back up.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OK. All you kids with a MT please read the sticky:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-drive-mt.html
You may save yourself years of trying to learn how to drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How will I know when I need a new clutch