G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Front wheel squeak (05 g35X)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Front wheel squeak (05 g35X)

Yesterday I drove from my apartment to the main office to drop something off and I noticed a slight squeak on my way back from the driver's side front. It seemed related to the wheel speed because as I sped up a little, the time between squeaks increased. I didn't notice the squeak when I was going higher speeds though. I wasn't sure if this was a common problem or not. I just got this car so I don't know much about it. The previous owner said he replaced the brake pads all around. And he replaced the wheel bearing on the passenger side front. I'm just not sure if this would be a bearing problem or a brake problem?
This is an 05 G35x with about 148k miles.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry mods, I accidently posted this in the coupe section first... I mess that up everytime, haha.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wheel bearings dont squeak, they make an annoying humming noise when you are driving and get worse over time, sounds like brakes to me. Does the squeaking change when you apply the brakes?

The following users liked this post:
Beef (07-30-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by superman22x
Yesterday I drove from my apartment to the main office to drop something off and I noticed a slight squeak on my way back from the driver's side front. It seemed related to the wheel speed because as I sped up a little, the time between squeaks increased. I didn't notice the squeak when I was going higher speeds though. I wasn't sure if this was a common problem or not. I just got this car so I don't know much about it. The previous owner said he replaced the brake pads all around. And he replaced the wheel bearing on the passenger side front. I'm just not sure if this would be a bearing problem or a brake problem?
This is an 05 G35x with about 148k miles.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry mods, I accidently posted this in the coupe section first... I mess that up everytime, haha.
i just solved this problem a couple months ago with a little help from one member here. mine squeaks when i hit uneven road. it doesn't matter if the road looks flat but a little dip triggers it. it was more of a chirping than anything when the road is really bad and i'm going a bit slow.

the driver side fender panel had a loose screw that's attached to the frame. try wiggling the passenger side then the driver side and see if there is a difference. mine had a lot of play and that's what caused it to squeak. it took me almost a year to find a solution until a fellow from here mentioned he had the same problem from a year or so ago. you have to take the wheel well cover to get to the screw and patience as it is tight in there. good luck and hopefully this solves it for you.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check that fender screw. I also plan on pulling the brakes apart and greasing everything and making sure there is anti squeak stuff on the brakes. And make sure the pads are seated perfectly.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Well I went out and pulled the wheel off and took a look at the brakes, they seemed to look decent. Not really sure what's rubbing. The rotor comes right off the hub, is it supposed to be that loose? Maybe the rotor is worn. Also, I'm missing one lug on the front wheel, so I'll run to autozone tomorrow and grab a few extra.

What I did notice today, nothing changes when I hit the brakes, and it gets worse if I turn right, but gone when I turn left. Maybe a CV joint?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 AM
So far, I've pulled the wheel off and check the dust shield and pushed it back in a few spots. Nothing changed. New rotors in the front, new lugs all around (not over torqued like the old ones). Pads are new. Squeak is still there. And it's worse when I turn right, and goes away as I turn left. It seems slightly worse now too, I notice it up to 40mph sometimes. It's defenitally worse on mornings where it's wet out, either if it rained, or there is a lot of dew on the ground. It seems to make the squeak worse. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 AM
I just resolved a similar issue, but you've already checked the dust shields and that was my culprit. But here are the suggestions I given and found online:
- rust shield scaping rotor
- caliper not releasing
- dust between rotor/pad
- ebrake setup, check both hold downs and return springs are ok
- bearing, inspect for nicks
- lube the swaybar bushings

Good luck, I hated that noise so I know how you feel.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had squeaking in a my wheels, dealer told me when the last guy must have changed the brake pads... he didn't use some certain lubricant/grease/etc.... so the dealer put that did it for me and it was fine!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought the issue might be too, non lubed caliper slide bolts, but I lubed them up.

Would a sway bar bushing cause a speed sensitive squeak though? It must be something rotating I think.

Since mine is an X, could it need new CV joints or would that be more like a hum like the wheel bearing.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by superman22x
Yeah, that's what I thought the issue might be too, non lubed caliper slide bolts, but I lubed them up.

Would a sway bar bushing cause a speed sensitive squeak though? It must be something rotating I think.

Since mine is an X, could it need new CV joints or would that be more like a hum like the wheel bearing.
The sway bar was a suggestion from a user who ran into a similar problem in my post. When the noise is associated with the rotation of the wheels the brake system is a good place to start. You said you can't hear the noise when driving over 40, it's most likely still there but the noise of the car and wind at those speeds drowns it out. Mine was a very high pitched squeal. If you have a mechanic friend ask them to drive the car and see what they say.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't know any mechanics here, but when I am home in 3 weeks or back at Tech in 5 weeks, I have some friends that might be able to take a look.

Once I am home I can get the car up on jack stands and really get a good look at the whole front drivetrain and brake system. The wheel feels very solid, so I'm thinking it's not a wheel bearing.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I know I keep bumping this thread, but I figure I should update it with any info I find out for the next guy with the issue (if I can ever resolve it). I called the nearest Nissan dealer today to see if they could take a look at it. Turns out they closed their doors today (Motown is coming back!) and the next closest Nissan dealer is a good half hour or more away. The nearest Infiniti is an hour away. I live in Michigan. Anyway, I explained my problem to the mechanic and he said if it was a CV issue, there would be a louder clunk or click. And a bearing would be a vibration/hum at high speeds. He thinks it's nothing to worry about, just something simple like a bent dust shield (checked that before) or a rock stuck somewhere. I'm going to pull it apart again today and see what I can see. Maybe there is something on the CV shaft rubbing on something else.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue with my 2003 G35

Just had a creaking/squeaking noise myself when I turn... did you find an answer to the issue. Thanks

Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Similar issue here.
I have been attempting to troubleshoot one part at a time. It is rotational, noticeable at low speeds, but mine disappears when the brakes are applied, even slightly. Pads/rotors replaced, lubricated. Very irritating. Any resolution to this issue? I see that this is an old thread...

Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G3531
Similar issue here.
I have been attempting to troubleshoot one part at a time. It is rotational, noticeable at low speeds, but mine disappears when the brakes are applied, even slightly. Pads/rotors replaced, lubricated. Very irritating. Any resolution to this issue? I see that this is an old thread...
I have the same problem. I just replaced the driver side rear wheel bearing ($500) because the rotor was 30 degrees hotter than all the other 3 rotors. Before the bearing replacement I had mechanic clean and lube the rear calipers, which he said were not sticking by the way. The mechanic also replaced the e-brake pads and hardware. The e-brake pads were worn down and broken apart. So after all that the car still has the "wheel squeek" just like the OP described. I didn't check the front brakes yet so maybe that's causing squeek. Rotors and pads are good. The rear brake dust shields are very rusty but were not scraping the rotors according to the mechanic.
Any other ideas?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front wheel squeak (05 g35X)