G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tiptronic (MM): Not working. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/T AWD
Angry 2005 G35x Manual Mode/M intermittent / works 20-30% of the time ....

Been through hell and back with this issue. Just want to finalize it as nothing else major is wrong my 05 G35x ... It's got high KM, 230+, but runs lke a dream!

Sometimes it will stay in M-mode the whole trip, but MOST of time its kicks back into D after about 5-10 seconds after starting the car and driving. Once it fails, it will not register M mode until you the next time you drive, potentially lol. Occasionally, you can turn off the car and restart it and it will fix it. Also, the downshift/upshift doesn't register sometimes and may take several taps to acutally shift, but it's the downshift really 99% of the time... it also very rarley will shift own it's own in M-Mode, down shifts only, without human input.. which is very annoying, but this rare. I'm sure all the issues are related to one thing... I hope! Becasue it does work fine sometimes...

Work done already to address this issue:
- Replace shifter assembly - as suggested by Infinti ( Did not work ) Cost: $1000.00
- New valve body/TCM - as suggested by Infiniti , was convered under my used car warranty ( DID NOT WORK ! ) only had to pay $700 under warranty, would've been $2,800 otherwise..

Now Inifinti is saying it's my combination meter, showing code: P1815 - I'm RELUCTANT to listen to them anymore... Quote on the Combination is $2000. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME! LOL...warranty will probably cover it, but I hate to waste it on issues like this! It does make sense that this could be the issue though, but why wouldn't they diagnose this in the first place?? Dealerships are atotal rip off! but most places say thier your best bet for this issue...

Some other research I''ve done people say it could be a cam sensor, but I don't see how that could cause all these issues...
Could it be a speed/wheel sensor?
Tranny fluid?
????????

It does have aminor electrical issue - left turn signal on dash is faint inside most of the time, and somtimes work normal, also just noticed the outside reverse lights are not working all the time... I don't think this connected to the M-mode issue.....

Please help!!!

THANK YOU!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:23 PM
A/T AWD
Been through hell and back with this issue. Just want to finalize it as nothing else major is wrong my 05 G35x ... It's got high KM, 230+, but runs lke a dream!

Sometimes it will stay in M-mode the whole trip, but MOST of time its kicks back into D after about 5-10 seconds after starting the car and driving. Once it fails, it will not register M mode until you the next time you drive, potentially lol. Occasionally, you can turn off the car and restart it and it will fix it. Also, the downshift/upshift doesn't register sometimes and may take several taps to acutally shift, but it's the downshift really 99% of the time... it also very rarley will shift own it's own in M-Mode, down shifts only, without human input.. which is very annoying, but this is rare. I'm sure all the issues are related to one thing... I hope! Becasue it does work fine sometimes...

- Replace shifter assembly - as suggested by Infinti ( Did not work ) Cost: $1000.00
- New valve body/TCM - as suggested by Infiniti , was covered under my used car warranty, thank god..but ( IT DID NOT WORK ! ) only had to pay $700 under warranty, would've been $2,800 otherwise..wheeww!

Now Inifinti is saying it's my combination meter, showing code: P1815 - I'm RELUCTANT to listen to them anymore... Quote on the Combination is $2000. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME! LOL...warranty will probably cover it, but I hate to waste it on issues like this! It does make sense that this could be the issue though, but why wouldn't they diagnose this in the first place?? Dealerships are atotal rip off! but most places say thier your best bet for this issue...

Some other research I''ve done people say it could be a cam sensor, but I don't see how that could cause all these issues...
Tranny fluid?
????????

I would love it to be a minor issue that someone has dealt with in the past!

It does have a minor electrical issue - left turn signal on dash is faint inside most of the time, and sometimes it works normal, also just noticed the outside reverse lights are not working all the time... I don't think this connected to the M-mode issue.....

Please help!!!

THANK YOU!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:27 PM
A/T AWD
Originally Posted by mew1983
I know your thread is from some time ago but did you ever find anything out about that? My car is doing the same, and there's not much info about this subject
Hey! any luck with yours?? see my story below..Love the car and want it resolved!

Sometimes it will stay in M-mode the whole trip, but MOST of time its kicks back into D after about 5-10 seconds after starting the car and driving. Once it fails, it will not register M mode until you the next time you drive, potentially lol. Occasionally, you can turn off the car and restart it and it will fix it. Also, the downshift/upshift doesn't register sometimes and may take several taps to acutally shift, but it's the downshift really 99% of the time... it also very rarley will shift own it's own in M-Mode, down shifts only, without human input.. which is very annoying, but this is rare. I'm sure all the issues are related to one thing... I hope! Becasue it does work fine sometimes...

- New valve body/TCM - as suggested by Infiniti , was covered under my used car warranty, thank god..but ( IT DID NOT WORK ! ) only had to pay $700 under warranty, would've been $2,800 otherwise..wheeww!

Tranny fluid?
????????

It does have a minor electrical issue - left turn signal on dash is faint inside most of the time, and sometimes it works normal, also just noticed the outside reverse lights are not working all the time... I don't think this connected to the M-mode issue.....

Please help!!!

THANK YOU!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:29 PM
A/T AWD
any luck???

Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 PM
A/T AWD
Originally Posted by MAD MAXX
Manual mode gate switch is your problem. New shifter will fix it or you could put the switch back together. The tiny metal switch falls out of place.

Tranny fluid?
????????

Please help!!!

THANK YOU!

Old 03-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 coupe
Hey guys,

sorry for bothering but this issue is quiet a turn off !!
has any of you found a solution for M mode issue. I replaced the shifter assembly and still not shifitng properly.

thanks

Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm amazed that nobody has figured out how to fix this for good. Is anybody else shocked??

Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
The FSM has a section in the AT chapter for troubleshooting if you can't go into manual mode. It's straightforward and tells you which connector to check for continuity when the gear selector is in auto/mm and when you select shift up/down. There is a logical drawing on page AT-164 and the list of connections to check on page AT-166. I just had to use this AT section of the manual to debug my shift lock recently. The manual mode signals are all in the same connector. It's a little white 10 pin connector towards the front of the shifter assembly when you pull off the boot and plastic above the shifter. If your manual mode switches are working as expected, there is an A/T self diagnosis procedure you can go through that will flash the A/T light to indicate any problems detected. I've never done it but it looks pretty easy and can tell you if one of 17 different components is bad. It's on page AT-99.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes the MM momentary switches are prone to failure but can be cleaned, numerous threads on doing this. The transmission also has to be operating 100% properly for it to work and given the age of this vehicle platform and the tendancy of drivers to completely ignore maintenance on automatic transmissions it's no surprise that the MM system has a high failure rate.

Top 2 items for making it work again:

-Clean the MM momentary switches
-Clean the transmission ground on the timing cover (strongly recommend cleaning the ENTIRE grounding/bonding system).

Old 06-24-2019, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock as of now
What would you use to clean the MM switch?

Old 06-24-2019, 05:34 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I own a 6MT so I've never had to tear it apart to clean it, not entirely sure what it takes to disassemble but for the actual CLEANING of the contacts a general purpose electrical contact cleaner will work. Try to find something like CRC QD contact cleaner BLUE CAN which is safe for printed circuit boards and won't melt plastic.

Start with the transmission ground though, it's a VERY common failure point.

The following users liked this post:
eric1254 (06-24-2019)
Old 05-02-2020, 05:10 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Been having this issue for the past few days and noticed a pattern in its behavior.

When my car has been sitting for a whole day and the transmission and engine are cool, if I start it up and try to put it in manumatic mode in under approximately one minute, the manumatic wont engage. And since it fails to engage, it is locked out by the ECU and will be inoperative until I shut the car off and back on again, resetting the system.

This only happens when when my engine hasnt warmed up yet. If I start my car and drive/let my engine warm up before I put it in manumatic, it works fine.

I’m gonna do some more experimenting and maybe I can figure something out.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
On my 2005 G with 250k+ I could never get the MM to work 100%. 90% of the time I could lock gears and UPshift, but it rarely ever let me DOWNshift with MM. I would guess it was something to do with the contacts in the MM gate. With my current 2004 G manual mode has always worked.

One thing that might be worth a shot is adding a ground strap or grounding kit. I bought 6awg battery cable kit from Amazon, and added 2 ground cables. One cable I ran from the negative terminal on the battery to the front of the timing cover (where 2 small OEM ground straps attach from the harness), and the other one I ran from a starter bolt to the chassis ground under the coolant reservoir. Believe it or not, I did notice a difference. The car does seem to idle smoother and is a little responsive in MM and the normal shifts are cleaner as well. The 1-2 shift in normal D seemed to be a little lazy when the car was hot or I ran it hard (aka canyons), now it is better. I thought grounding kits were a bunch of crap, but I am convinced it made a difference.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Scorpi0, I noticed the exact opposite on my g35x. When the car/fluid was cold/cool, the MM worked. Anytime the motor/fluid was warm/hot it wouldn't engage. Even noticed this on hot days when the car had been sitting all day. I did the drain/replace (not a flush) on the tranny fluid and it has worked every time since then. Haven't driven it a lot due to Covid, but every time I have driven it, it has worked since the drain/replace. Let me know what you figure out!

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by izzy_grayson
Hey Scorpi0, I noticed the exact opposite on my g35x. When the car/fluid was cold/cool, the MM worked. Anytime the motor/fluid was warm/hot it wouldn't engage. Even noticed this on hot days when the car had been sitting all day. I did the drain/replace (not a flush) on the tranny fluid and it has worked every time since then. Haven't driven it a lot due to Covid, but every time I have driven it, it has worked since the drain/replace. Let me know what you figure out!
I'm with you on that. I felt like during the winter my tiptronic worked a lot more than during the hot summers. Eventually it just started downshifting on its own so I don't use if often anymore

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic (MM): Not working. Suggestions?