G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Tiptronic (MM): Not working. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 02:03 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Ive been messing with the tiptronic and noticed it usually works fine at night when the weather is below about 60°. It will work fine for the first 10 or 15 mins of driving and then slowly start not responding to some shifts. From then on, it works intermittently. Sometimes I will push the shifter up or down and about 5 seconds later the car will respond. Its very random but it never goes into a full lockout like it will in the daytime when the temps are 60° or above.

Still havent had time to pull a direct ground wire to the battery from behind the cluster. Im workin on the house at the moment so dont have much time to mess with the car.

Last edited by Scorpi0; 02-02-2022 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:50 AM
So today the weather was kinda warm outside. Probably about 70°. My manumatic was working perfectly for a good 20 minutes. Would shift up fine. Would shift down fine. And then it instantly stopped working. Wouldnt even go into mm mode when I would push the lever over.

The way it behaves is so random.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed
Question any more feedback

Originally Posted by x53G35x
Hey all -

Tiptronic works maybe 10% of the time now. I got a free OBD reading, no codes. Bottom of tranny dropped, no metal and no faults. Tranny fluid swap, problem persists.

Car will stay in D when shifter flipped over to tiptronic.

Sometimes when it does work, system will put tranny back in D and won't go back to tiptronic. I can move the shifter left and right, but no Manual mode.

Suggestions? I was thinking ATCU? It should blow a code though if broken. Shifter assembly? Maybe it's the switch?

D
am sending my 08 g35 6speed dash cluster because the light is not working as it should on the fuel gauge,and my mph is flickering, any feed back on taninautoelectronix.com ? ??

Old 06-09-2022, 11:04 PM
G37x
Originally Posted by The_G_Code
am sending my 08 g35 6speed dash cluster because the light is not working as it should on the fuel gauge,and my mph is flickering, any feed back on taninautoelectronix.com ? ??
So still no answers huh?
I skipped what the dealer said. I didn't do tcm or valve body ect ect everyone said it didn't fix. I replaced a connector I thought was shot and re spliced the majority of the wires around the shifter and used connector spray around the shifter. It started working better but still intermittent, super weird..

I decided to get a gauge cluster for 125$ cad after shipping and tax luckily. I know alot of them are super expensive. Literally is mph instead of kph and is for a 2011 instead of 09 (my year) so anyways it works fine actually all is the same except my windows don't automatically roll up anymore lol.

Still no fix, still intermittent. Weird thing is since I re did the wires around the shifter it works a little better and I can run it long enough to hold 2nd gear and do donuts but kicks me out shortly after. But it doesn't kick me out while I'm sliding around like it knows it would be rough. It literally behaves like it's grumpy..

I need this for drifting my G 😮‍💨 we need answers!!

Old 07-23-2022, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Base model, no options
Cool Manual-mode iffy

My 2006 G35 5AT always down-shifted in manual mode, but was erratic on up-shifts. It kept giving me P1815's when it failed completely after slow shifting. Clearing the error code didn't help. I replaced the shifter with a new one- didn't help. However, adjusting the steering wheel position up/down (not in/out) did allow proper shifting at times. So, I ordered a cluster from Tanin before the price went up. It took almost a month, and I got a unit with a dislodged tach needle, broken rear u-clip mounting tab, mold spotted lens, and no manual-mode. I returned it, was told "no warranty" (foil seal on bottom was torn during tach needle fix), and was asked where to return it. I said "keep it". Lo and Behold, a few weeks later I received a different cluster from them and everything now works like new. In the end they came through with a quality unit. The lesson I learned was protect that seal at all cost by taping something over it. Plus, I don't think any of these outfits fix anything but gauges and meters. If m-mode doesn't work, they send back a different unit.

The following users liked this post:
Please help! (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 08:06 PM
G37x Base
Hey man I really need a straight answer.

So are you saying that a gauge cluster fixes the Manual mode?? I did a swap and it looks in good condition everything was good and lights are bright whereas my original was shotty.

I still have the same persistent issue where it kicks me out of manual mode after abit..

Old 07-27-2022, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Base model, no options
Cool Cluster swap fixed m-mode

A cluster swap worked for me because it was the cheapest attempt to fix manual-mode short of a tranny rebuild after I found that adjusting the steering column up/down affected my up-shift problem. Maybe I got lucky. I had already spent $350 on a new shifter which didn't fix my problem, so I spent another $400 in one final attempt to fix it after reading through this thread. I only ever got the P1815 error code. Since it's a semi-smart cluster whose chip converts the up/down-shift leads to CAN-bus messages sent to the transmission's TCM and back to display the gear, it's a central point. The code can indicate a shifter, tranny, wiring, or cluster related failure, but from reading other's comments, it also seems clusters are the last thing most folks try replacing. I didn't have my original cluster repaired. Instead, I ordered a rebuilt one with a warranty. Since the first one failed m-mode completely and its replacement worked like new, I suspect there's a ton of these units in salvage yards that are as bad as my original. It's hit or miss but still cheaper than a $3k trans rebuild.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:31 AM
On my 05, my MM slowly started acting up until it just became useless. I bought a used cluster and swapped it out and at first it was working perfectly. Then over a period of a few weeks, that cluster started acting just like my previous one.

One of the members on this forum offered to test my busted cluster on his car which has no MM issues whatsoever. Soon as he installed my cluster onto his car, he said the MM stopped working.

I tried re-soldeing all the points inside my cluster hoping it would fix it but it didnt help. There are about a million points to solder on the circuit board. A lot of em are way to small to even try to re-solder. So I have just given up on my MM at the moment.