G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

rough idle / engine dies at start up / down on low end power / engine code P0011

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
rough idle / engine dies at start up / down on low end power / engine code P0011

the engine code from Oreilys shows to be bank 1 camshaft position - timing over advanced or system performance ?

Infiniti help website shows - Intake Valve Timing Control Performance bank 1.
http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/obd_..._infiniti.html

Bank 1 is the passenger side correct ?

Does it sound like replacing the Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve will fix it ? Is there any way to clean them becasue that soilnoid is $150 or more. It says they are controlled by oil pressure, and It's time to change my oil now I wonder if I might get lucky and fresh oil would fix it ???

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
More than likely you just need a new camshaft position sensor/s. Try replacing the one on bank one, but I would recommend just replacing both. Fairly easy DIY and will probably fix your issue. This is a common issue on G's with higher miles, how many miles on your car?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM
114K miles on it,

You say the camshaft position sensor are more common the casue of this code. Just want to clarify sine the Infiniti Help site shows the problem is the intake valve timing control solenoid.

Also I have already replaced one of the crankshaft position sensors before. I think there are two of those ?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
There is 2 camshaft sensors (bank 1 and 2) and I believe only 1 crankshaft sensor.

Had the same problem on my friends 04 Maxima, swapped out the camshaft sensor on bank 1 and problem solved.

His was throwing his transmission into safe mode as well though, so possibly not the exact same problem?!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM
changed my oil and took the battery cable off. The engine light hasn't come back on yet (50 miles driven). The car seems to run great but engine dies frequesntly at start up. Thinking about cleaning my my throttle body and MAF.

Or could the camshaft position sensor cause a low idle / engine stall at startup ? I thought they are controlled by oil pressure too so I hoped fresh oil has solved that engine code...

Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. I changed the camshaft sensor and the check engine light was gone and the car wasn't stalling at startup and the vdc/slip lights were turned off.
Now I'm having a service engine soon light. There seems to be no performance issues but I just can't seem to get the SES to turn off. (I've tried to unplug battery with no avail).

Also in my experience after resetting the light usually comes back on when you turn the car off and on for the 2nd time.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 PM
ah I think I spoke too soon. My engine still dies at start up ocassionally.

What's the best TB cleaning procedure ?

I don't want to get into that TB relearn if it can be avoided. Think I'll clean my MAF while I'm at it just in case. I cleaned and re oiled my air filter not long ago but it ran fine afterward too ??

Old 08-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The sensor is not controlled by oil pressure. If the sensor is faulty, it needs to be replaced, changing the oil or removing the battery won't do anything. The sensor is fairly easy to get to.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...y-version.html

You can also clear codes with the pedals.

http://www.6mt.net/forum/performance...rocedures.html
<u>Basic ECU Reset</u>

Operations Procedures:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU. You may even need someone's help to do this correctly.

Note: The following reset procedures are directly from the 2004 G35 Sedan Service Manual.

<u>Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning</u>

Description:
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

<u>Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning</u>

Description:
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

<u>Idle Air Volume Learning</u>

Description:
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced, or if idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Preparation:
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 Degrees C (158 – 212 Degrees F)
- PNP switch: ON (Park/Neutral Position Safety Switch - AT only, MT fully depress clutch)
- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, rear window defogger, headlamps. Note: on vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamps will not be illuminated.)
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up (For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)

Operation Procedure:
1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning"
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning"
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications:

Idle speed A/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in P or N position)
Idle speed M/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in N position)
Ignition timing A/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or – 5 Degrees BTDC (in P or N position)
Ignition timing M/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or – 5 Degrees BTDC (in N position)

13. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully. If idle speed and ignition timing are within the specification and Idle Air Volume Learning cannot be performed successfully, find the cause of the incident by referring to the following Diagnostic Procedure:

1. Check that throttle valve is fully closed.
2. Check PCV valve operation.
3. Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air leakage.
4. When the above three items check out OK, engine component parts and their installation condition are questionable.
5. If any of the following conditions occur after the engine has started, eliminate the cause of the incident and perform Idle Air Volume Learning all over again:

- Engine stalls.
- Erroneous idle.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:31 PM
my engine light hasn't come back on but my idle dies out on occasion. Dirty TB ? does cleaning it ever help this issue completely ?

I don't want to do all that relearn ! wow !

Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 68_GT
my engine light hasn't come back on but my idle dies out on occasion. Dirty TB ? does cleaning it ever help this issue completely ?

I don't want to do all that relearn ! wow !
A vacuum leak can also cause rough running or stalling. You can test for a vacuum leak by spraying starter fluid around clamps and vacuum hoses, a change in idle speed suggests a leak.

Yes, you can try cleaning the throttle body, but be sure not to touch the blade.

If you oiled your K&N filter excessively, that can also damage the element in the MAF.

The relearn procedure may seem daunting, but it really isn't, and will likely be necessary in diagnosing the problems. The other option is to take it to somebody with the Consult diagnostic tool that can do all those things.