G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

06 sedan aftermarket headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 sedan aftermarket headlights

I've been having a hard time finding aftermarket headlights for my 06 sedan. Most are saying that there is a slight size/fitting difference with lights made for 03-04 and I clearly dont want there to be gaps. I did find sellers online stating their lights fit 05-06 but when I contact to buy they said sold out.

http://www.topgearautosport.com/part...o_LED_DRL.html

Does anyone know for sure if the lights in the link above are available for an 06? If so, where can I get them and if not what are my other options?

Thank you!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sadly almost all of the aftermarket options out there are crap for our cars. The lights in the link you posted scream rice, don't cheapen your G with those. You can look around on ebay for more options but without getting a custom set that will set you back big $$ you're not going to find a good quality, good looking reasonably priced set.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate your opinion and was also thinking the same thing, only liked them because they are black (my car is black) and the halo of course. I have baked many headlights before and will likely do mine soon to paint the housings black. The lens need a good buff and sealant as well.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I too am in need of headlights and find it difficult because mine are oem hid and most sites don't mention that so I assume they will not work.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I've asked a couple times on here where to buy, and if anyone had any for sale, even if anyone had already modified some and wanted to sell. I didn't get any replies and I couldn't find anything. The only thing I did find is that if you want to really get headlights like you're probably thinking about you are going to have to take them off the car, stick them in your oven and mod them yourself.

Here is a thread that I found recently of which I am going to do for my car (a 2005 G35x): https://g35driver.com/forums/media-s...-retrofit.html

Quad projector retrofit and blacked out interiors. I think for me personally, that looks awesome and I might throw a light tint on the shell to top it off. Obviously this is only one method you could choose, but to be honest it really isn't that difficult.

Name:  DSC01702.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  DSC01701.jpg
Views: 2036
Size:  66.2 KB

Old 03-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You guys are wrong. The aftermarket ebay headlights are crap EXCEPT the Eagle Eye OEM replica headlights that AAMautoparts sells on eBay. Eagle eye actually has a good reputation for making quality replica oem lights for many different makes and models. I bought a pair from them for 215 shipped on eBay for my 06 G35x.

I don't like the stock look so I baked them open just like the OEM lights and painted the shrouds satin black, added a clear turn signal lens, and did a bixenon projector retrofit in the low beam area. Here is some progress so far:Name:  2014.03.11_19.24.02_zpsskmpylcg.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  2014.03.13_20.58.23_zpseorcit3x.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  87.8 KB

I still have alot left to do. There is some serious cutting involved to the shrouds and housing to get the projectors to fit in the low beam area but really worth it. I should be done this weekend!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
That looks awesome. Can you throw some links, tools, and specifications up here so others can have the same resources you used to achieve the result?

Some common questions in no particular order will probably be:
  • Link to stores where parts were purchased
  • Temperature to set oven
  • How long to leave in oven
  • What you used to remove sealant/glue
  • What sealant/glue you are intending to reseal with
  • What paint you used on the shroud
  • What did you cut and how much
  • Is there any wiring involved to the car
  • How did you reseal the lights

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM
I would also like to add a note here that is your doing a projector retro on the 03-04 or the 05-06 models the concept of what to cut and trim on the shrouds is the same except that the 03-04 models have much more space in the lower beam area to fit the projector.

On my 06 G35x the low beam area is much less smaller than the 03-04 models because of the different headlight design. So if you have an 05-06 there will be a tad more cutting involve that what there would be on the 03-04 models.

Here is a break down on pricing I paid:

Eagle Eye Replica OEM headlights = $215 shipped
G37-r Projector shrouds (Pair) = $40
Morimoto Mini D2S projectors = $140 shipped
TSX 2.5" Clear lens for the Turn Signal lens = $36
Krylon Satin Black Paint = $5
Duplicolor Self Etching Primer = $6
Various grits of Sandpaper = $7
Butyl Rubber Sealant for Headlights = $15

Total = $464

The butyl sealant is highly recommended. While the headlights comes with butyl sealant packed in them already, its always good to add some extra to avoid condensation in the future and for peace of mind!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by epborden
That looks awesome. Can you throw some links, tools, and specifications up here so others can have the same resources you used to achieve the result?

Some common questions in no particular order will probably be:
  • Link to stores where parts were purchased
  • Temperature to set oven
  • How long to leave in oven
  • What you used to remove sealant/glue
  • What sealant/glue you are intending to reseal with
  • What paint you used on the shroud
  • What did you cut and how much
  • Is there any wiring involved to the car
  • How did you reseal the lights

1. Headlights purchased here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-He...a75af2&vxp=mtr

Projectors and everything else to do the retrofit purchased here;

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

2. Headlights were baked in the oven at 200 degrees for 12 minutes (Preheat first). place the headlight on a baking sheet and make sure the headlight isn't touching the inside of the oven. Keep in on a thick towel on the baking sheet.

3. After headlight is finished use a flat head screw driver to lift the tabs up and then pull the headlight apart. If it doesn't work put it back in the oven and leave it in for another 1-2 minutes. Remember to remove all the bulbs and screws before putting the headlight in the oven.

4. To seal it back up put it back in the oven at 200 degrees for 5 minutes this time and take it out and push the headlight back together. You can also add extra butyl sealant if you like before closing them back up.

5. I can't really tell you how much to cut. That part is up to you because you need to fit the projectors in first and measure what to cut. Its hard to show over the internet here.

6. The only wiring involved is tapping into the high beam for the bixenon hi beam function to work.

7. I used Krylon Satin black

Hope that helps!

Old 03-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Ok guys I got in contact with http://www.theretrofitsource.com/. I got all the information you could want for the 05-06 G35 sedan and doing a projector retrofit. The below parts will get you as close to plug and play as you want, no custom wiring, the only thing you will probably have to do is some cutting to the shrouds to fit the parts.

You can buy a second set of OEM quality headlights (not required) on ebay at this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-HID-He...a75af2&vxp=mtr

IF YOU WANT TO DO DUAL - LOW BEAM ONLY, THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED:
06 sedan aftermarket headlights-yt4kola.png
06 sedan aftermarket headlights-sj44mhq.png

Total: $210

IF YOU WANT TO DO QUAD - LOW AND HIGH BEAM, YOU NEED TO BUY THE ABOVE AND ALSO THIS KIT FOR THE HIGH BEAMS:
06 sedan aftermarket headlights-28iwwys.png

Total: $540

Last edited by epborden; 03-14-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I was wondering if the morimoto matchbox would fit in the low beam without cutting. Anyone know? Then a mini d2s coukd be in the high/fog.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:01 PM
All finished and sealed back up:

Also did a clear lens retrofit in the turn signal housing with a 2.5" tsx clear lens.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Looks fantastic! Now, how much are you selling them for?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Pics installed and on?

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
You'll have to wait for that. I literally just finished these lights up today and sealing them.

One thing you don't want to do is to paint them and seal them back up right away like most people do. You should atleast let the paint on the shrouds and housing cure for a few days to a week. Paint goes through a process where it gasses off. If you seal them back up right away, the headlights won't be able to properly gas off since it has no way of escaping. This is what leads to premature yellowing of the clear plastic on the headlights. It's also something that not alot of people think about. I see people paint lights and just seal it back up right away after the paint drys and you just can't do that. I got this great tip from HIDplanet.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (03-31-2014)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 sedan aftermarket headlights