G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Modifying the stock midpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modifying the stock midpipe

Can the stock midpipe be modified by a reputable exhaust shop that will essentailly do the same as the coupe pipe? ie. change the res

Anyone have pic of the stock pipe? What really needs to be done to it to open it up a bit but keep some sort of resonator? Are there any major crimps in the piping?

Old 02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Talking

Now im interested. Can anyone help us?

Old 02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Dude, I don't think so. The stock sedan resonator is MASSIVE (10 cpe. resonators could fit inside one...lol) and the time and labor it might take would probably be as much as a new or used middy. I just saw a post from somebody, on the sedan forum, selling a next to new one. Poke around and see if you can find it or I'll see if I can find it and get it to you. JBX

Old 02-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
Dude, I don't think so. The stock sedan resonator is MASSIVE (10 cpe. resonators could fit inside one...lol) and the time and labor it might take would probably be as much as a new or used middy. I just saw a post from somebody, on the sedan forum, selling a next to new one. Poke around and see if you can find it or I'll see if I can find it and get it to you. JBX
Doing some homework on here the solution I found was to cut the stock tank res off and put on a 2.5" 4X22" magnaflow round muffler with a little custom work. I am just looking for some other solutions that might open it up a bit more than the stock coupe pipe but not get raspy.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:11 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
I thought I read about someone doing something different than adding the coupe-midpipe...and I did!

Gsedan35 added the 4X22" Magnaflow pre-muffler (reasonator) like you mentioned above. I had asked him about it a while back and was considering doing it back then.

Anyhow, you may want to PM him to get the complete details of what he did.

Look at post #17 of this thread
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ight=magnaflow

Old 02-23-2005, 12:45 AM
I'll add to this what I can. I did the same exact thing Gsedan35 posted in this pic.

What you need is MagnaFlow Resonator #10436. It costed me $75 including shipping. Then I took it to a local muffler shop and had them weld in the Magnaflow in place of the stock resonator. Labor cost was $40. Sounds different than the coupe mid-pipe. Better IMO and less raspy perse.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by dklau33

What you need is MagnaFlow Resonator #10436. It costed me $75 including shipping. Then I took it to a local muffler shop and had them weld in the Magnaflow in place of the stock resonator. Labor cost was $40. Sounds different than the coupe mid-pipe. Better IMO and less raspy perse.

Thanks!! I think I might go this route. The stock piping is 2.5'?

Old 02-23-2005, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by Gting
Can the stock midpipe be modified by a reputable exhaust shop that will essentailly do the same as the coupe pipe? ie. change the res

Anyone have pic of the stock pipe? What really needs to be done to it to open it up a bit but keep some sort of resonator? Are there any major crimps in the piping?
Replacing the Sedan's pre-muffler with a quality muffler, usually a Magnaflow, was popular before the full cat-back systems became available.

I did it a little differently than most. I used an 18" Allied muffler and added an extra locating brace. IMO, it sounded great and it didn't drone. Shortly after installation, the entire exhaust system was replaced with a full cat-back system.

Attached Thumbnails Modifying the stock midpipe-allied-midpipe.jpg  
Old 02-23-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by DaveO
Replacing the Sedan's pre-muffler with a quality muffler, usually a Magnaflow, was popular before the full cat-back systems became available.

I did it a little differently than most. I used an 18" Allied muffler and added an extra locating brace. IMO, it sounded great and it didn't drone. Shortly after installation, the entire exhaust system was replaced with a full cat-back system.

Why are people using mufflers and not resonators to replace the stock premuff? Magnaflow has a 2.5" x 22" stainless steel resonator. Part #14498

Old 02-23-2005, 10:04 PM
waste of money getting a resonator

all i did was to get the muffler shop to cut the center muffler off and install a straight pipe

did it in 15 minutes and charged me like 30 USD for it

Old 02-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Hyde

all i did was to get the muffler shop to cut the center muffler off and install a straight pipe

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290153941

So everyone can here what these cars sound like without some sort of premuffler.

Opps, nevermind. While I have the sound clip saved on my computer, the above post doesn't have the clip anymore that I can tell.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 02-23-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:22 PM
i know im a noobie.... i always jus wanted to ask... Why cant we jus subsititute the entire exhuast system... like da whole catback?? cuz then we can have dual nize mufflers at the end like the coupe.... is it like not possible??? is tht why everyone is jus changing the midpipes...

Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hyde

Blah it will sound like crap and very raspy. I would love to do that but it won't sound good.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290153941

So everyone can here what these cars sound like without some sort of premuffler.
Hey how would the Magnaflow 14" x 2.5" (4" round) stainless steel muffler sound with the stock muffler? I did some searching and you suggested not to go with the 14"

Old 02-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by werd
i know im a noobie.... i always jus wanted to ask... Why cant we jus subsititute the entire exhuast system... like da whole catback?? cuz then we can have dual nize mufflers at the end like the coupe.... is it like not possible??? is tht why everyone is jus changing the midpipes...

The sedan places it's spare tire wheel well and emission evap stuff in the way, we can't run the coupes rear muffler section. It's safe to say, those that are considering mods other then getting a new entire exhaust system are doing so because some aftermarket system's are known to be a whole lot louder then the oem sedan system. Of course a certain number of people plan on doing a new exhaust system down the line and just want to deepen the exhaust note a bit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modifying the stock midpipe