Grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding noise?

Hey everyone!
04 G35x here.
I changed my front brakes about 2 months ago. The past couple of weeks I've been hearing a grinding from my front right wheel. I put my car on stands today and spun the wheel to hear the grinding. I took the wheel off and played with the rotor and re-seated the brake pads. After all of that there was little to no grinding noise when I spun the wheels. However as soon as I took it for a test drive the grinding was back. Odd thing is that after a driving for about 5m or so the grinding goes away. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM
UPDATE: My co-worker suggested it might be the guard behind the rotor. We took a flat-head and poked it a few times to make sure it was clear and a bunch of **** fell from behind it. So far the grinding has significantly decreased. When I drive home from work with a cold start I'll update again.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last time I changed my brakes I had a similar issue, but for me the noise was a squeaking. It turned out the guard was bent just enough to touch the back of the rotor. I just bent it back away from the rotor and haven't had any problems since. Make sure you check the entire guard for contact with the rotor.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by FirefighterG35
Last time I changed my brakes I had a similar issue, but for me the noise was a squeaking. It turned out the guard was bent just enough to touch the back of the rotor. I just bent it back away from the rotor and haven't had any problems since. Make sure you check the entire guard for contact with the rotor.
Thanks for the reply man. I drove him from work today with barely any noise. I believe the guard was responsible. I still hear a slight grinding noise when I turn right(still not as bad as it was). It's currently raining by me so as soon as I can work on my car I'll check the guard with the wheel off. I'll also be checking the back side of the rotor to make sure whatever was behind there didn't do any permanent damage to it.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by THICCDADDY
Thanks for the reply man. I drove him from work today with barely any noise. I believe the guard was responsible. I still hear a slight grinding noise when I turn right(still not as bad as it was). It's currently raining by me so as soon as I can work on my car I'll check the guard with the wheel off. I'll also be checking the back side of the rotor to make sure whatever was behind there didn't do any permanent damage to it.
the grinding noise when turning may not be related with the brakes.You may take a look at the tie rods, and the wheel bearings.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Did you change out the rotor when you did the front brakes?

I'd pull the wheel off and take the caliper off. Put two lug nuts on and tighten down on the rotor and spin in. You'll see right away what's grinding.

Usually dust shields don't grind. They have a high pitched metallic scrape noise associated with them. If you have junk falling out from behind the rotor, I'd pull it off and investigate. Could be a wheel bearing that is failing.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by soloso
the grinding noise when turning may not be related with the brakes.You may take a look at the tie rods, and the wheel bearings.
I'll take a look at the rods and test the bearing as soon as the weather permits thanks for the input!

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Did you change out the rotor when you did the front brakes?

I'd pull the wheel off and take the caliper off. Put two lug nuts on and tighten down on the rotor and spin in. You'll see right away what's grinding.

Usually dust shields don't grind. They have a high pitched metallic scrape noise associated with them. If you have junk falling out from behind the rotor, I'd pull it off and investigate. Could be a wheel bearing that is failing.
I did not change the rotor because I measured it and it was still at a good mm. I hope it's not the bearing but as added information, It's more of a scrape noise that is clearly associated with the spinning of the wheel especially at lower speeds. However depending on the day / temp / weather some days I hear nothing and some day's it's worse then others.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Pull the rotor off, wire brush all the rust and junk off there, put it back on, spin it, check for clearance and see if you are good.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
So I jacked up the front of my car today. With the wheels still on I shake the front left, no movement. Then....I shake the front right and it's got a decent amount of play. Looks like I'm going to have to replace the bearing. FML. I think I'm going to buy the whole thing instead of having to rip it out.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Look at suspension components and check for movement before you go slapping on new parts!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:29 PM
Had a shop do it for me with OEM parts. Little pricey but worth it for not struggling to do it in the cold with nothing else to drive. Here's a quick pic from a few weeks ago

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.