G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Severe electrical water damage/corrosion *HELP*

Old 04-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Older in need of repair
Originally Posted by scumbagsleeper
Hopefully that is the only area of the car that has had water damage. Maybe the harness grommet the goes through the firewall is cut for stereo wiring (mine was) and letting water in, or maybe the sunroof drain tube? I did see the red amp wire in your picture and bet they ran it the same way that somebody did to mine. Under the hood if you remove the passenger side cowl cover (the plastic beneath the wiper arms) you will find the engine harness grommet. Or just follow the red power wire added to the battery haha
This is exactly what I found actually, I've already sealed it with atv sealant. I'm also going to check the drain plug while I'm in there because why risk it when everything is torn apart I might as well make sure it's flowing..

next on my list is to run some water over the sunroof and look for leaks, then the new patched area of windshield strip/firewall grommet.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Older in need of repair

So I finally had time to tackle this today and I ran into a bit of a hiccup. There is an extra wire on the existing old harness that isn't on the new harness.

Do I need to pop the connector and pull the wire out of the old socket and put the entire wire/crimp into the new socket with new wire if it's corroded?

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
One side of the connector is M72, the other side is F102, both are in that picture I linked, if your harness is that exact same layout then that's the one you need. A wrecking yard will probably have no clue what you're talking about if you just call around looking for an SMJ though, fortunately there's a REALLY good chance that any donor vehicle you find will have one intact.

I would start by checking local pick-n-pulls to see if there are any G35 in the yard, I think that same SMJ was used in all models from 2003-2007 coupe and 2003-2006 sedan. If there aren't any then look for any newer G35 on the V36 chassis (2007-2008) and if not then any Infiniti Q50/Q60. If those aren't available then widen the search to ANY Nissan or Infiniti models around that year.

On the driver side is a different style of SMJ with fewer wires, you might end up cutting a couple different SMJ's off of different vehicles and using 2 or 3 of them to get the total wire count high enough, there's 46 total wires in the one you have if it is the SMJ I linked.

If you go that route just make sure to leave plenty of wires on both sides of the ones you pull from a donor vehicle. Yes you will probably have to replace BOTH halves of your existing SMJ, that much corrosion inside those pins will cause nothing but problems in the future so I'd get rid of the entire thing.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Older in need of repair
What the picture is showing that at the very top right of the harness there is a grey/red wire on the old existing harness, but not on the new harness. I'm not sure what this wire is for or how to go about finding that out.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Just make sure all the existing wires on your car pass through to connect to the wire they're supposed to. If there are more or less on the salvaged harness then just do whatever it takes to make it work. Electricity doesn't care what color it is only that it goes to the right place

The following users liked this post:
Grokster (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 08:16 AM
Older in need of repair
Just wanted to follow up, I cut and stripped all wires, sanded them down as there was some oxidization, soldered each wire and shrink wrapped each wire (approximately 100 or so wires in total). It was a hell of a job but I put everything back together and everything has worked for 6-7 months so far without any problems *knock on wood*.

Thank you again for the help Cleric!

jbarnett250 (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:43 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Awesome, splices like that when done correctly like you did will last the life of the vehicle. It's sure a pain in the *** though sorting out that many wires and laying on your side for hours in the footwell of a car lol.

Grokster (02-10-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my first car here in the us, and i put a lot of effort on restore her
Water damage

Originally Posted by Grokster
This is exactly what I found actually, I've already sealed it with atv sealant. I'm also going to check the drain plug while I'm in there because why risk it when everything is torn apart I might as well make sure it's flowing..

next on my list is to run some water over the sunroof and look for leaks, then the new patched area of windshield strip/firewall grommet.

Thanks!

Did you solve it the water problem? I been having the same problem, after a rain day my car won’t start, where exaclty did you find filtration of water? I literally put a hose throwing water on the sunroof and the hood and can’t find it, Like where is the firewall who make the problem here? where the water come from? Sorry for my English

Old 01-20-2022, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mostly stock
Originally Posted by NicPirez
Did you solve it the water problem? I been having the same problem, after a rain day my car won’t start, where exaclty did you find filtration of water? I literally put a hose throwing water on the sunroof and the hood and can’t find it, Like where is the firewall who make the problem here? where the water come from? Sorry for my English
the passenger side of the car there is a tube you'll have to take the glove box out which is fairly easy. and you'll see the tube once you take the pass side vent out. i had water leak in and i have corrosion on the main harness as well not as bad as the OP but not my traction conrol and AWD doesn't work.